Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#676   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-16, 20:42

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 189/142/135 Female 66 inches
BF:hmmmm?
Progress: 87%

Wow!! What great photos, Lab. I’m so glad to see you. You both look terrific.

Blue, I have to tell you that I so much identify with you and your autoimmune symptoms. The lichen planus symptom sounds horrendous to me. For a few weeks I had the burning tongue sensation, and it is very unpleasant. Seems to have gone away now. Eating well really seems to have a profound effect. It may not be the be all-end all, but whatever helps is a thumbs-up in my book.

Leslie, big congratulations on making it to onederland (wonderland??). Anyway you know what I mean. Taking care of all those children must be terribly tiring and taxing, and I truly admire you. I haven’t dared to look at my scale for a couple months now. Scared of what I might see.

I seem to be ever so much more busy since I retired. Seems silly, but it’s true. Two years ago, I had a steroid injection in my neck, and it worked like a charm. Unfortunately, though, now the pain has returned; so physical therapy is taking up time that I need to get ready for the holidays. You know the old saying that if it’s not one damn thing, it’s another. Suits me to a tee.

I wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Sherri2 : Wed, Nov-23-16 at 20:24.
Sponsored Links
  #677   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-16, 10:09

Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%

Thanks ladies, I am pretty pleased with my weight loss. I got as low as 198.0 yesterday and was back up to 198.6 this morning. But at least it is not 200. I still have another 53.6 pounds to go. So I still have a long road ahead of me. But I take the victories as I get them.

Blue, as for your suggestion regarding foods. I totally agreed with you. I wish I could change the diet of the youngest three foster kids. But I am forced to follow the Canadian Food Guide (it is exactly the same at the US Food Guide). I put in a request to put the youngest three on a gluten free diet and the social workers have stated that I need to have the backing of the pediatrician and take the kids to a nutritionist regularly. I don't think the social workers believe what I have told them about gluten and the effects on the body and brain and I have yet to find a nutritionist who will back gluten free 100%, especially when it comes to kids that are legal wards of the government. Professionals are wary about going against the norm when it comes to foster kids, too much bad press, I guess.

Having said that, nowhere on the Canadian Food Guide does it say that I have to give them sugar - carbs yes, but not sugar, so I have cut out all processed sugar and even cut out all fruit for the youngest three, gasp. I did this at the beginning of July. And it has made a huge difference in the my other 7 year old foster son. He is much calmer and seems to be able to focus more. But for the second 7 year old, the one we are having the problems with, the elimination of sugar didn't seem to help. So it was the social worker who suggested drugs. Which frustrates me! Why not allow me to change the diet instead of putting him on mood altering drugs.

And since I am basically a government paid babysitter, I have no legal authority over the kids, I must follow what the kids legal guardian (the social workers) order. And they say drugs, so I have to give him ritalin.

Gotta go, laundry day at my house and I have 17 loads to wash, fold and put away. Plus any ironing or sewing that needs to be done.

Have a great day. Talk soon
  #678   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-16, 11:15
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Sheri, good to see you. Sorry you are struggling with more pain issues. Hopefully, you will see results with the physical therapy. If not, is another steroid injection in the area a possibility?

Leslie, I hear what you're saying about the frustration regarding dietary requirements with the kids. I've got a little history myself when it comes to all that - from a variety of angles. I won't go in too deeply, but I will say that you can absolutely create a gluten-free diet that should still satisfy the overseers. Due to my own auto-immune disease, I am not allowed to have any gluten. But, that doesn't mean no carbs at all. Barley, wheat and rye and oats (oats are frequently cross-contaminated) are off the table. But, starchy vegetables, such as sweet potatoes, yams, carrots are non-glutenous, and they fill the requirement for "carbs". Even non-glutinous grains are allowed, although I rarely use them. So, for example, rice is allowed. It is not a glutenous grain, it meets the CFG requirement for "carbs." If it's brown, it also meets any CFG requirement for "whole grains." (I even enjoy the occasional sorghum/rice based beer. ) Not only do I feel tons better without the gluten, but I do not experience the terrible physical/emotional/brain-fog issues from eating starchy veggies (or even non-glutinous grains) that I experienced from gluten. Honestly, I cannot begin to tell you what a profound difference it has made for me. It's been that huge. I still have some of the common accompanying food sensitivities that many people with my disorder have, so I have to avoid things like eggs and too much dairy, as well. But, that's not so bad. You can provide the children a sugar free and gluten-free diet, while still following the CFG, alleviating the need to get a green light from doctors and social workers. And, you may very well see some good results. Perhaps good enough results to get the doc to agree to lowering or even eliminating the Ritalin.
  #679   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-16, 08:30
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Mornin', Kids.

In an effort to conserve energy I shall simply say...WHAT LAB SAID.

It's gotten cold here and the big leaf drop started this past weekend. We're ankle deep in leaves. Jim blew off the sidewalk and our circular driveway because we couldn't see either of them. The leaf man is coming after Thanksgiving to suck them all up and haul them to the compost center. Everything is covered. The up side is I love the sweet, earthy smell of the leaves.

Sherry, auto-immune is no fun and with so many people popping up with symptoms and diagnoses there has to be something triggering it. The easiest thing to change is what is going inside our bodies. I haven't embraced removing dental fillings or using gluten free cosmetics (who knew there were such things?!?) but I'm taking it a step at a time. I've already seen relief which keeps me going. It's been so long that I can't quite remember what it's like not to have burning, blisters, and sandpapery gums. The blisters seem to have abated and I don't have much burning. Let's hope it improves. My joints are better!

I'm holding weight-wise but am eager to move down again. I keep reminding myself it's stair-steps not a slalom. If I get the other issues under control, the rest will follow.

So.....that's it from here. Y'all keep up the good work and fight the good fight.

Later 'gators.
  #680   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-16, 20:28
Real food!

BF:

Blue, the autumn where you are sounds so lovely with all the fallen leaves. We are enjoying rains here that we haven't seen in years. It has been several dry, drought-ridden seasons for us the past 5 or 6 years. The rain is cleansing and welcome. I do not mind at all.

I feel as if Thanksgiving sneaked up on me this year. It is nearly unbelievable to me that it is here in two days. Jim and I will be keeping things low key, cooking turkey breast, seasonable vegetables and traditional sides. He will have pecan pie, as well. I did see a great looking recipe for gluten-free pumpkin pie. I feel tempted, but I don't know if I'll go for it or not. I may save it for my work team potluck next month. All of our California based tech team members will be meeting at our location here in the town where I live. It is only a 13 mile trip for me, so I get the easy commute to the get together. Because we all work from our home offices, we don't get to see each other in person very often. And, we typically see our out of state team members once every six months. when the entire team meets for three or four days of meetings, workshops and fun.

You are so right when you point out how many of us are being diagnosed with auto-immune disorders. I don't know if it's just that better diagnostic techniques and awareness exist now, or if more people than ever truly are developing these types of issues. I haven't had my metal fillings removed, either, but I did start choosing non-metal ones at one point, even for those that were in the back of my mouth. Interestingly, I have not had new dental issues since changing to my gluten-free diet (when I also started low carb eating.) I have no doubt that the food induced exacerbation of the auto-immune at least played a role in my dental issues.

Yesterday, I fasted all day and then again today until dinner, for a 48 hour fast. My plan is to do the same after tonight, not eating again until Thanksgiving dinner. I need to be back on track, having gained a few pounds. I watched a Jason Fung interview for inspiration yesterday. It seemed to help I am losing weight again already.

Last edited by Labhrain : Wed, Nov-23-16 at 02:47.
  #681   ^
Old Fri, Nov-25-16, 09:59

Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well fellow labs,

OMAD is really working for me. I am down to 195 this morning. Go me! I kind of like not to have to think about what to eat other that once a day. I just drink water and coffee all day long, which is no hardship because I love coffee. I think I exchanged my carb addiction to caffeine. But caffeine doesn't add to my ass so all is well!

I hope all my American friends had a great Thanksgiving and if you stayed on program, yeehaw! If you didn't, forget about it and get back on track. Don't feel bad, what's done is done, can't change it. Thanksgiving comes once a year, you had your feast now back to the grindstone.

Hugs to you all
  #682   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-16, 10:59
Real food!

BF:

Stopping by to say hello to any fellow lab rats who may wander into the lab. Hope all are well and gearing up for a good weekend.
  #683   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-16, 18:49

Hi Lab. I just dropped in, too. Here it is December already. Can you believe it???? I don't know where the time hides. Anyway, where is everybody? I was hoping for a more active group to help in getting over the holiday season. Yesterday, I started LCHF -- again. Actually trying to stay in the keto range, i.e., under 30 total grams carbs. So far, I'm hungry. Maybe tomorrow will be better.......
  #684   ^
Old Sat, Dec-03-16, 06:01
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

I'm here! We have house guests and after going away for Thanksgiving, putting up the tree, finishing art, cleaning the house for company (ugh!), and crocheting projects, I have been at sixes and sevens (whatever that means). At least I haven't been at.......wait for it.......say it with me.........eights (ates)!

After all the feasting and eating out (we're heading out again today) I'm STILL closer to 200 than 300. Hey, that works for me. Head games matter. It's where all battles are fought. I had *gasp* focaccia bread yesterday and pumpkin bread. I'm hoping that that little foray into grainland won't cause much damage. I shall return to the straight and narrow post haste.

I'll be back with more later. This is our first round of house guests. They'll be leaving this weekend. Thursday my longtime friend from back home is arriving through the following Tuesday. I'm tired already. Must be that grain I ate.

WAY TO GO, Jakz, Lab, and Sherri. Really. We each have challenges and we're facing them. What more can a person do?

Have a good one.

Later 'gators.
  #685   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-16, 12:40

Hola a todas.

Blue, When I saw this video, I thought of you and your three kitties that wake you up way too early in the morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roUOBx8m9Yc

I'm still staying track, but I don't show any loss as usual -- yet.

Wishing goodness for all this Christmas season.
  #686   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-16, 06:50
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Awwww, poor kitty. He looks so bewildered. I couldn't do that to them but I sure have thought of it a time or five.

I'm getting back on track but our second round of company and events is starting up again Thursday through Tuesday followed by Jim's company dinner on Wednesday next week. Lord, help me keep it together.

I made an appointment with a different rheumatologist but the first available opening was February 8. Hey, I've dealt with issues this long, what's a couple more months?

I haven't got anything pithy to say. So with that, I leave you to have a happy Tuesday.

Later 'gators.
  #687   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-16, 08:54
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

I'm still in the upper 40's but am holding on. I had some goodies while our friends were here and you know what? I honestly didn't enjoy them. I could honestly say it wasn't good enough to eat again. I could easily have left out the bread and grains and still enjoyed the food and my time out. What's good about that is now that we have more events on the horizon I don't have to tell myself not eat something. I KNOW I won't enjoy it enough to make it worth it. That's a huge deal for me. Maybe all these months of eating clean, avoiding processed foods, grains, sugar, and dairy have reprogrammed me. I don't like the foods I used to and I notice chemical additives immediately. It honestly tastes fake and I don't like it. I also notice that I'm able to leave food on my plate. I don't eat nearly as much as I used to. Detoxing is a good thing whether we have issues with things or not. It's like a reboot for the body.

My longtime friend is flying in tomorrow. I've known her since 1964. What's amazing is I still keep in touch with many of my junior high and high school friends. When we went back home this past fall, a couple dozen met us for dinner. I still see them as they were as well as how they are now. Weird, huh. We're taking a candlelight Christmas tour of Mount Vernon while she's here, and will do some touristy things, I'm sure. There will be lots of eating out but I'm ready.

Treading water (and hopefully losing some) during the holidays is the plan. So far, I'm nailing it.

Have a good one. Later 'gators.
  #688   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-16, 09:43
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Whew! I'm baaa-aaaack. Didn't miss me, did ya. Where are all you slackers anyway?

I'm up a couple of pounds from eating out so much but I kept from bloating just enough to avoid Goodyear labeled across my beam. Food out is harsh no matter how careful one chooses. Had a wonderful flareup of autoimmune issues. Thankfully I'm detoxing now. Tonight we have Jim's company's Christmas dinner out. I'll do the best I can.

We had a wonderful visit with my friend, went all over Virginia and did all sorts of things. Lots of memories. One of the highlights was a candlelight tour of Mount Vernon. That was really nice and there was something about being on the grounds with the moon rising over the Potomac that made it special, moreso than being a tourist during the day. A good memory!

So, I survived two weeks of out of town guests, eating out continually, and being totally out of my routine. Now......what have YOU been up to? Hmmmmmm?????

Later 'gators.
  #689   ^
Old Thu, Dec-15-16, 08:28
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

It was a great party last night, good food (REALLY good food), much fun, laughter, and merriment. Today I'm on full detox and my body will no doubt be very grateful. Instead of trying to fast I brought in salad and homemade dressing. Ahhhhh. Real, normal, food.

I like talking to myself. Yeah, I do. I get all my jokes and totally understand where I'm coming from. It's amazing how much I have in common with myself.

<stink eye all around>

Yeah, yeah, one of the busiest times of the year, festive foods, eating off plan and all that. I get it. Come January you'll be all turning into the new you. Got news for you. You're the new you now.

Later 'gators.
  #690   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 10:30

It's a NEW year. Where is everybody?