Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#631   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 08:30
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Mornin', Kids.

Sherri, I'm trying to avoid what you're going through and I so understand. When something flares up, everything piles on. I do hope you get some relief and things quiet down for you.

I have an itchy lichen planus breakout along with joint pain and gum flareups. The steroid mouth rinse really helps and I hope by detoxing and minding my P's and Q's everything settles down without having to take the steroids. I've jumped back into Amy Myers Autoimmune Protocol. It's no surprise that a cold hopped on board while on the steroids to suppress the immune system. That flat sucks. Keep us posted (even if it sounds whiney) because we care. I'd rather know how you are than read what you think we want to read. Gives me something to pray about!

Well...that's it for now. Holding my own. Hope to be feeling sassy soon.

Later 'gators!
Sponsored Links
  #632   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 10:24

Plan: Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 225/183/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hey y'all, just checking in. Faithfully doing my 1500 cals with 80% from fat. been sitting at 192.2 for past three days BUT today uncle TOM showed up so I am actually quite HAPPY that I just stayed and didn't blip up... that means good things are in store for a few days from now! It's Canadian Thanksgiving today but since we are in Italy and it is still suntanning weather and I am not really FEELING like turkey and pumpkin yet, we are waiting a few more weeks to celebrate, I am a non conformist that way.... I celebrate when I feel like it, not when the calendar tells me to :P Take care everyone!
  #633   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-16, 08:41
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

I SO get that, Nikki. I got excited when I didn't gain on my trip. That was a SCORE in my book just like yours is for you! Way to go!

I'm down this morning which was met with cheers and merriment. Okay, so it was just me whooping it up but it was merriment nonetheless.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Nikki, Lois, Jackz, and anyone else. I love a good autumn feast combined with giving thanks for all we have. Celebrate the way that makes you happy.

It was 38F degrees this morning. I don't know if Hurricane Matthew sucked cold air down from the northern climes as he moved out to sea or what. I've been wearing sweaters, long pants and closed toed shoes. The time for full autumn wear has arrived. It's supposed to be in the 70's next week. I'm good with that. REAL good with that.

Have a happy.

Later 'gators.
  #634   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-16, 07:50
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Another brisk morning here along with the scale still moving downward. I got to thinking about that. As long as I feel well and my clothes look good on me, I really don't care what number it is. I've had this mentality that if I were at 155 my life would be perfect, at 165 I'd be thrilled and happy, at 175 I'd be right where I want to be, at 185 I'd be satisfied, at 195 I'd just be happy to be under 200, at 205 I'd be merely overweight, at 215 I'd be on the border of overweight/obese, at 225 I could live with it, at 235 I'd be stressing about "making it," at 245 I think I'm such a loser for not making it happen.

My brain is not my friend when it comes to the scale. So now I'm training my brain to let me relax and just do what I need to do regardless of the number. Everything in this world is fought in the brain. Successes and Failures emanate from thoughts that lead to choices and actions. Life won't be any different at 155 than it is now. The only difference is how I feel about myself and I feel that way when I stick to my eating plan and not let life sidetrack me. I can feel it NOW all through the journey. That's immediate reward! I'll take it!

So after all my rambling, I wish you a great day just as you want it to be.

I think of you all daily. Hugs to those who are experiencing the issues of life.

Later 'gators.
  #635   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-16, 09:49

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 189/142/135 Female 66 inches
BF:hmmmm?
Progress: 87%

I love your ramblings, Blue!!! You are always so on point. Just imagine how perfect life would be if......... It doesn't work that way, and if only we could get out of our heads.

Felicitaciones on your downward trend. I'm sure you look wonderful in your fall ensembles. The weather here is not yet fall, but I'm sure looking forward to it. Summer is my least favorite season, but it wasn't too bad this year, i.e., over 100-degree heat waves lasting 4-6 days. It was mostly in the 90s, which I can bear -- just barely.

My cold lingers on. I had completely forgotten that the prednisone was suppressing my immune system. No wonder I caught the dang cold. Thanks for the reminder, Blue. It's been 6 days now; so I don't think I'm contagious anymore (and not sneezing, etc., just stuffy), and I'm okay to go to the hospital today.

Wishing everyone a wonderful week. It's hump day for all you working folks.

#636   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 22:33
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hey, all. Just checking in. I'm still having a tough time, and not necessarily handling things so well. I've been eating crap. Fortunately, I haven't put on more than a couple of lbs, so that isn't so bad, but I also know crap food is no good for me. :-( Work remains very busy. Right now, I have my eyes set on my visit with my dad and stepmom. Sorry I can't seem to add anything of value right now, but I do wish everyone well and will try to touch base more.
  #637   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-16, 10:00
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Lab, it's good to see you and hear from you whether or not you feel as if you have anything worth saying. It's YOU we care about. That goes for all of you! Just touching base is important.

Sherri, the cold weather here has triggered aches and pains in me. I have been flat miserable and rising from a seated or prone position results in what I refer to as my Neanderthal walk. I'm like those evolution of man pics going from hunched over to upright. Every dang joint in my body aches. Of course I've been advised to see a rheumatologist but I get tired of that. So I'm taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatories and living with it. Last night I indulged in "low carb" ice cream. Hmmmph.

I don't know why humans turn to food for comfort. I've pondered all of this and wondered why I dive into foods I shouldn't. How is my tongue linked to my emotions? I know about all the endorphines et al, but those are a result that comes later. I'm not craving those endorphines. I want instant gratification and that's what I seek. Maybe it's reinforcing that I CAN have things that have told myself I can't. Maybe it's rebellion instead of comfort. Four-year-old Blue can pitch a tantrum for sure. I don't know what she's trying to prove but I can tell you Old Blue is sitting on her today and is much bigger. Take that, you little #~&$%!!!!

In just a few days I'll be getting my copy of "The Complete Guide to Fasting" so maybe I'll make more consistent progress. I'm not doing badly but I'm stuttering along.

Wherever any of you are in your journey, don't be hard on yourselves, even if you eat crap. It's part of living and being alive. So flippin' what. It doesn't define your value.

So, with that, I wish you a great Friday.

Later 'gators.
  #638   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-16, 09:14
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

So.....who's hiding behind Halloween candy and treats trying not to be seen? Who has dived into fall comfort foods because the weather is chillier and our bodies tell us to store up for winter? Who is finding that being on the threshold of "the holidays" is calling their name? Well welcome to the human condition!

Thankfully I have finished off the last of the chili made this past week. It was made with all good ingredients but my body doesn't handle a quantity of tomatoes or sauce well. Never has. We also had a chuck roast with roasted rutabaga, carrots, celery, and onions. Perfect fall dinner! I'm up a tad this morning but I'll lose it. It's all that good fiber.

I have been working diligently on my commissions. Jim is out real-estating (yeah, it's a legal verb at my house ) and he left me with "Finish up those dogs!" I'm working on a portrait of two collies and I've been fussing over it. So much dang fur! I have two human portraits waiting in the wings and he knows I need to move on and stop fussing with the dogs. I'm in my fret and stress mode which he has to yank me through.

So, on this bright and sunny autumn Sunday, I wish you good times, good health, and good eating. I miss you rats.

Later 'gators.
  #639   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 07:58
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids <kids><ids><ds>

It's a beautiful fall day here <ere> <re> Wow, that echo is amazing <mazing> <azing> <ing>.

I had a great weekend and worked my tail off in the studio both Saturday and Sunday. I hope to finish the collies this week. Dang, I never saw so much fur and there are two of the buggers. Couple that with them lying in grass and, well, all I can say is they're lucky I don't charge by the stroke.

I'm still holding my own and not wowing anyone with amazing weight loss. Now that Jim has started teaching a new real estate class, I hope to rein in the eating a bit. Three nights a week I'm left to my own devices and that isn't a bad thing. My new book should be here soon too. Can't wait to dig into that and get my engines revved.

Hope you all have a magnificent Monday.

Later 'gators.
  #640   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 09:52

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 189/142/135 Female 66 inches
BF:hmmmm?
Progress: 87%

Ah, Blue, painting collies is a wonderful endeavor. When my children were growing up, we had a collie named Ollie. My son wanted to name him Molly, but since he was a male, we settled on Ollie. He was the sweetest dog I have ever known. The whole neighborhood loved him. I can hardly wait to see a picture of your painting.

This miserable cold is finally on the train out of here. I’m on to a deep throaty cough, which will probably last for a few weeks. It’s time for flu shots; so I need the cold to be gone completely, according to the hospital. I’ve read that it’s all right to have the shot as long as one doesn’t have a fever. Anyway rules are rules; so I will have to wait. However, it’s okay to have the annual TB test, which I will do today when I go to the hospital to take the yearly test about hospital practices and what we, as volunteers, are expected to know.

I'm thinking about you, Lab, and I hope the funk you're in passes quickly.

I’m sure it must be nice for you, Blue, to be left to your own devices three nights a week. I’ve been alone for so long that I can’t imagine having someone else to consider around all the time. I know he’s TAJ, but enjoy yourself.

Absolutely nothing to say on the weight……

Hola a todas.
  #641   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 08:46
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Down a tad. I'll take it. "The Complete Guide to Fasting" should arrive today. I've never been so excited about not eating in my entire life.

I finished the dogs last night. I'll post a pic later. Why is it that I get so much done when "he" isn't home? Did some chores, fixed a little dinner, watched a couple of DVR shows, worked in the studio, finished the piece, did more chores and then read more of my book. It's a Randy Alcorn book about heaven and it's wonderful. I like his books and it's been years since I had read one. He just has a way of painting a picture with words and getting to the heart of a matter. So, that was my night and I'm down a tad. WhooHoo!

I cut out grains from my diet a while back and occasionally slip up but have resolved to dig in and keep at it, especially with my most recent mysterious autoimmune issues and flareups. While I haven't totally dived into the supplements and guidelines of the Wheat Belly way, I have agreed with much of the premise. Yesterday another supporting study was released which confirms my belief that processed foods and GMO's are NOT good for us and supports Wheat Belly. So I'm going to more carefully avoid them in future.

New study links protein in wheat to the inflammation of chronic health conditions

Glad you're on the mend, Sherri. Sometimes I wonder about rules and regs and think some are valid and most are CYA (cover your asterisk) legal maneuvers.

Lab, you know you are thought of and prayed for often.

The rest of you are missed.

Later 'gators.
  #642   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 07:45
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids

Guess what? Down a tad. Y'know these tads are starting to annoy me, not that I don't deserve it. Last night was Jimbo's night off and I had wine. So this morning I whine.

My book came! I flipped through it last night and admit I winced at long term fasting. We'll see how that goes....if ever. Hey, Lab did it. I can at least keep an open mind and a closed mouth.

Sherri, here is the finished collie piece. Philomena and Cassiopeia (aka Fillie and Cassie). Fillie (on the left) has a right eye that is half blue and half brown and the left eye is all brown. I've seen animals with two different colored eyes but never one with two colors in the same eye. When I commented to the client about that she seemed amazed and said, "I never really noticed that." HUH? Honestly. Who wouldn't notice that?

So, by golly, have jolly collie day.

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Wed, Oct-19-16 at 08:46.
  #643   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 08:19

Plan: Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 225/183/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

we've had company from overseas, and 3 more sets in the coming weeks, it is our busy season so I just keep plugging along. I am 1 lb away from my 5 lb goal for October, and just sticking to what know works and living life. Not experimenting, not even really tracking that carefully (erring on the side of caution when I don't) but still weighing daily. So not much to report. Wishing you all perseverance and patience and pay offs
  #644   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 13:12
It's Only Food!

BF:

Way to go, Nikki! Having houseguests can throw a wrench into any plan. Keep doing what you're doing. You'll be there in NO time! I am so impressed.

Jimmy Moore posted today that "The Complete Guide to Fasting" has sold out on Amazon on its first day of release and is in its second printing already. The publisher is sending all available copies in the mean time. So, if you went to order one but couldn't, more are on the way.

As it happens, this article popped up today.
The true story of a man who survived without any food for 382 days

I guess this means I can't whine about Intermittent Fasting longer than a day. I've been doing the 24 hour fast with dinner as my only meal and do okay with that. Not sure about clear coffee, tea, and water only. I think I'll read my book and contemplate that.
  #645   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 08:04
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

The best laid plans...

My intention, last night, was to enjoy my evening alone and read my new book. Sure it was. Murphy's Law of plans took over.

I was doing a test of settings on my camera and headed outside to take some pictures in the dark. (It's a long story about how this all came about.) When I opened the front door something whizzed past my head and into the house. A wren, who had roosted in my autumn door wreath, was startled awake. It couldn't know that that was only the beginning of fear. We have three cats.

It flew into the dining room, with all three in pursuit. I don't know how but Callie caught it, wouldn't let go of it, and promptly ran into the master bedroom with me right behind her ordering her to drop it. Under the bed they went. I grabbed a broom to force her out and she let go of it. It came out, she followed and caught it again. I grabbed her, she let go of it, and under the bed it went while I put her in the bathroom. I opened the slider to the deck and that dang bird flew to different locations high in the room and even to the curtain rod above the door but it would not go outside. Jim was teaching his night class and there I was alone trying to get that little wren out of harms way.

Cats were meowing behind different doors and I stuffed robes under them to keep birdie and kitties apart. When I had a chance, I scooped up Callie and put her out in the main house with the others. Two hours later Jim came home. He shooed and chased that little bird until it sought refuge under the dresser.

When Jim had come into the bedroom with us, the robe under the door had been pushed aside and birdie found an exit under the door to where the cats were waiting. I heard cats scrambling and figured out what had happened. I ran out and found them in the kitchen, cats looking up and bird panting on the top of the cabinets. I opened the kitchen slider to the porch and, thankfully, we shooed it out there. I opened the porch deck door, closed the slider to the bedroom, and Jim and I worked on shooing it out the open door. It took several attempts but finally the little guy found freedom and flew out into the night. Whew! No doubt he spent the night on that dang wreath. It was now after 11 PM. I've decided to bring that wreath in. We live in the woods and are surrounded by autumn. I don't need to put fake autumn on the door. Well, it was cute but I'm not doing this again.

When I finally was able to go to bed I did read about five pages of the book. Good stuff!!! If Murphy will allow, I'll read more tonight.

Oh....and the scale was the same this morning BUT I've retained a ton of fluid. Rings are tight, face is puffy, joints ache. Using Blue's Scale Algorithm that means I lost something that will eventually register once I lose the fluid. So there we are. A story to tell and a prospective weight loss. I'll take it!

And with that I bid you a very happy Friday Eve.

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Thu, Oct-20-16 at 08:09.