Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#976   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 11:11

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/200/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 104%
Default Day 5 of 90

Goal parameters:

1) Track and log my food daily (with few exceptions)
2) Average less than 30 net carbs and keep calories within reason (< 2400)
3) Get some form of exercise in daily

Weight: 207. $5 is in the jar. 20 net carbs and 2050 calories yesterday. I also got back into the gym for a little elliptical workout.

One interesting aspect about returning to a VLC diet: I'm waking up with the sun again. I've said many times that this WOE turned me into a morning person for the first time in my life. That has been true since the first months of the diet. But after adding back more carbs, 75-90 total/35-50 net for over 2 years now, my circadian rhythm didn't appear to be as glued to the rise and fall of the sun as it had been during my first year when I ate fewer daily carbs. I could stay up a little later and sleep in as late as an hour past sunrise. The past few days I've been ready to nod off by 10pm and I've awoken to the birds chirping at the crack of dawn. This morning that was before 6am. I'm not complaining. I've been sleeping great. I also managed to get a 7 mile walk in this morning and accomplished several chores before anyone else in the house stirred awake. I just find it interesting that eating VLC appears to have a significant, immediate effect on my circadian rhythm. As a carb eater I could easily stay up to 2am on fa Friday night and sleep in past 10am on Saturday. That pattern is not possible when I eat VLC.

Thud: about that meditation position... I tried to imagine myself doing that at 400+ pounds. It wasn't a pretty sight.
Sponsored Links
  #977   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 12:16

Plan: ~25NC/IF
Stats: 342.2/186.2/000 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Ha! That picture is the first progression in the squat series of body weight exercises. I suppose u could try meditation in it too .

I'm not sure if it's diet related but I'm an early riser too. Unassisted on the weekends I'm up as the birds are chirping and can be on the water as the sun rises. It would be nice to share this time with others but my brothers and most friends enjoy sleeping in on weekends. I like greeting the new day in silence with the first rays of sunshine warming me. Too bad we're not neighbors Ken
  #978   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 13:40

Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Continuing on my keto basics approach, and it feels like an old friend. Plan to work in a 3-4 day IF in the next week, as my daily and 24 hour shorter IFs are good, but the value of working in some longer IFs is helpful to achieve full autophagy and realize the related cleansing.

Getting my exercise by cutting and clearing trees today and spreading mulch tomorrow. Should be a good weekend workout.

Good meditation session yesterday. Thud, here's a video on Wim Hof who has his own unique form of meditation and endurance exercises:

http://www.icemanwimhof.com/vice-documentary#vice-video
His home page:
http://www.icemanwimhof.com/innerfire

People are capable of amazing things when their intent is pure and focused. Pretty incredible, and it reminds me of many on this forum who have the intent to pursue healthy eating as a way of life. It's not easy to get started, but the benefits are real once on has successfully focused her or his intent on achieving the right things. All the best.
  #979   ^
Old Sun, May-21-17, 19:08

Default Day 6 & 7 of 90

Goal parameters:

Weight: 208. $7 in the jar. I'm claiming today a little early, but I'm finished doing my thing today and will be heading to bed soon. Carbs and calories were borderline high this weekend; however, considering the exercise and the chores that I did I am sure that I operated at an energy deficit. It was a good weekend to be outdoors. I walked plenty and spent hours scrubbing and cleaning the deck in preparation for a much needed coat of stain and sealant. Scrubbing the deck was serious work, plus I walked 48K steps total for Saturday and Sunday. So I'm happy with how this weekend turned out.

Starting tomorrow I plan on switching things up by going to a one meal eating window at dinnertime on weekdays. I already walk on my lunch hour. I want to get in the habit of working out before work. That way I can beat the heat of the summer and have more time in the evening for house and yard work. I've got lots of work around here that needs to get done.
  #980   ^
Old Tue, May-23-17, 09:41

Default Day 8 of 90

Goal parameters:

Weight: 208. $8 in the jar. Tracking my food accurately on MY PLAN. Eating is on target and staying active everyday. Here is my daily average data for the first week (which includes some IF days):

Total Carbs: 42 Fiber: 27 Net Carbs: 15
Calories: 1425
Protein: 89g
Total Fat: 104g
- Saturated: 44
- Mono: 30
- Poly: 13
Macros: Carbs: 11% Protein: 24% Fat: 65%
  #981   ^
Old Tue, May-23-17, 15:23

BF:

It's really neat looking at your entries in MyPLAN Ken. Thanks for doing that. Dhamma talks, meditation and CC exploration continue.
  #982   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 11:46

Default Day 9 of 90

Goal parameters:

Weight: 207. $9 in the jar. The new pattern is starting to become the norm. I feel like I'm getting back in the groove again. Doing 23:1 IFs on weekdays is becoming routine. Reducing the sweetness in my food is making it easier not to feel compelled to overcompensate once I start eating. Taking a walk right after dinner helps, too. For me, satiety takes a long time to kick in. I eat a lot of food in that one meal. It would be nice if I could cut back, eating just normal sized dinner in my eating window. I will be working on it. My aim is to lose weight on this challenge.
  #983   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 08:25

Default Day 10 of 90

Goal parameters:

Weight: 206. $10 in the jar. This challenge is off to a good start. I'm making progress and feeling good. The one meal a day IFs on weekdays are starting to feel routine. I'm really noticing the appetite suppressing effect of eating VLC. I've been satisfied with eating around 2000 calories a day all this week even though I'm still getting my normal workouts in. I'm beginning to think that my issues with maintenance all centered around the most obvious of problems... I was eating too many carbs. Eat fewer carbs and your body instinctively knows when enough is enough.
  #984   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 08:10

Default Day 11 of 90

Goal parameters:

Weight: 206. $11 in the jar.

This keto reboot is working. I feel terrific. I'm back in the zone. It occurred to me that I have not been VLC for a long time. The high cholesterol thing happened two years ago. The diet tweaks that followed resulted in adding 20 (or so) net carbs per day back to my diet. I guess you could say that I became just "Low Carb" instead of "Very Low Carb/Keto". I still lost the rest of the weight and surpassed my goal. But it was work and required focus and diligence. Now that I'm back in the keto zone, I realize that there really is something magical about eating very low carb. It is less work to keep the eating within reason. I am satisfied with less food. It just takes a little more discipline watching the carb count. What kind of impact this will have on my cholesterol only time will tell. I may have a lipid panel taken in June to find out.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, May-26-17 at 09:26.
  #985   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 09:15

BF:

"It is less work to keep the eating within reason" You've found me out Ken! I almost always go for the softer, easier way. it's much less hassle for me to eat very low carbs during the week with one meal a day and then just low carb on the weekend - it seems to work without counting for me.

You sound pumped Ken, I'm happy that you're discovering new stuff all the time~!

I'm still on track with building dhamma talk habit (not as well with the daily sittings tho - and CC work. I was really analyzing the mechanics of my squatting yesterday. it's interesting to see how far down you can get and keep your heels nailed to the floor. I see that my Achilles tendons need to be stretched and worked more. A side benefit to loosing belly fat is to be able to collect ones self in a little ball, knees to chest. I still have more fat and skin to loose on my belly and maybe a little more on the top of my thighs to get into a tighter ball. This position is very helpful (being compact and able to have power straitening the body out for windsurfing and kiting water starts.

Windsurfing Waterstarting with Peter Hart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBoLdvnArzY

Kiteboarding Waterstart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nfy-5FZGJE