Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1741   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 06:11

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi all-

Trig- You are a BEAST. I know that was really hard at that Italian restaurant and you held so strong. I am truly impressed. I don't like buffalo sauce or gloppy bbq sauces anymore either. A dry rub and some ranch did do me nicely or else a butter garlic parmesan that I do is really yummy too.
I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. Hugs!

Jaz- What did you decide on? Pulled chicken?
Hope work is easy on you today.

Blue- I'm not a huge lobster fan. I like lobster done well but often it just isn't, at least around these parts, and then it is yucky! I *love* lobster bisque though!
Your Memorial Day weekend sounds really wonderful and I want you to enjoy every single second of it.
Congrats on getting your project done so quickly and well too! Ahead of schedule for the win!

Lori- Have a good day today. I hope all this cracked-glass business isn't catching! I've never had to do that before for one of our family vehicles although I did have to on our Epic Summer Trip - on the rental vehicle.

KMOM- still thinking of you!

••••••••••••

Meeting a friend for breakfast so I have to get ready soon. I don't like to get moving quite so quickly in the morning.. I mean, I am UP but I don't want to be dressed and leaving the house, KWIM? It'll be fine once I'm there.

Pool party tomorrow evening, expecting about 30. Really hoping the rain holds off but truly, it is anyone's guess. I doubt they will do a whole lot in the pool since it is still on the cool side anyway- the highlight tends to be a wiffle ball game they organize in the yard every year.

We continue to be in a rainy pattern.. it has rained daily for what feels like forever. I did have a nice evening sitting outside with my DS18 on the porch "doing some porch sitting" and then enjoying listening to a shower out there until it got ugly and we had to bail."

We are also experiencing a 4-years early uprising of 17 year cicadas here and so the boys took their airsoft guns to go after them. I made them do it in the woods off my property. I am such a tenderhearted fool that even though I don't like cicadas I don't approve of just shooting at them either. Yuck! Boys!
Sponsored Links
  #1742   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 08:50

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone!

I am back! Slowly, but surely.

Trig: Sorry you are feeling lousy today. Hope you feel better as the day goes on. Like the others, your decision making and willpower at that restaurant impresses me. Especially since you were all set for the crab!

Blue: Have fun in Madison. And I loved your hubby's comment. What a fun guy. He knew he had messed up, but redeemed himself big time. One time I was at Knollwood Mall and I got my hair cut. I mean cut! From really long down my back to just above my shoulders. Hubby never noticed when we met up. Being a new bride, I fell apart. Cried. He felt awful. He just literally did not notice. Even that memory makes me smile as he tried so hard after that. What a guy.

Jaz: I am excited for you family coming. I can feel your excitement too. I hope it is a warm and rich time.

Lori: I, too, love getting up slowly with a cup of coffee. Glad you came out of that little funk a few days ago. Seems like you knew what it was and it corrected itself pretty fast.

Nic: Hope the pool party is a ton of fun! I just need to say that when I was only checking sporadically when I was sick, I remember one time I saw you use the F word! I cracked up and almost spit on my computer!

Will post a new one about me. I always worry about losing a post, and I don't have the emotional energy to type a new one.

K-Mom 10x3
  #1743   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 09:03

BF:
Progress:

For six years, I was not sick. No asthma, no high blood pressure, no flu. It was like I could not get sick even if I was around kids at school with green stuff going out of their noses!

I felt invisible. Wonder woman. Actually kind of cocky. I attributed it a lot to my woe. Sugar had been a poison for me for so many years.

So when I thought about getting Part D for Medicare, I was like...Why? I am only taking a vitamin and a low-dose aspirin!

Bam! Got back from a month in Hawaii and was exhausted. The first day home I was fine. The second day I got hit with a bad asthma attack. It had been six years!!!!!

I took the neb treatments (DuoNebs) and felt it would just run its course. After the 5th treatment, I literally felt my heart go out (A-Fib). Those news really get you wired. My A-Fib always rights itself. Not this time. So I stopped taking the Du0-Nebs. Asthma was getting worse. Finally after 42 hours of A-Fib, a nurse told me to go to ER. They said they were kind of stuck. They could not shock my heart as my lungs were too comprised. They could not give me the Duo-Nebs as it was making my heart wonky. So they said I needed to be admitted. Stayed there five days. They tried a drip of something. That helped my heart slow down a little, but not enough and it was still irregular. They did a Cardioversion (shocked the heart) on day four. It worked!

I got home and had pretty bad reactions to the strong meds. Nausea, back pain AND sadness. But all those have pretty well gone away. Amen!

So now I am getting stronger every day and I am thankful it was not as serious as what so many people face. We all need to be thankful for our health. So many people are hurting and suffering. Mine was really nothing. Just a blip.

BUT - I am on a new path now. A-Fib was diagnosed for sure and I need to be on these meds for the rest of my life. That has been a hard thing for me to accept, but I am turning a corner and actually starting to feel thankful for them.

One warning - I want to encourage all of you to get Part D on Medicare when you get older. I will add it during the Open Enrollment period, but it will not start all Jan of next year. It is not that much money. Why was I so cocky? Why did I think I would not ever get sick?

Blood thinning meds cost me $465.00 a month.
Others are bad too. I have paid more than $700.00 within the last week.

We changed the blood thinner med so now it will only cost me $250.00/month. Funny how that made me happy!

I will be fine financially, but I feel bad for people that would have been stuck with this and had to take from savings or actually get a loan.

Not feeling very invisible. Feeling humbled. But also feeling very thankful that this turned out good for me.

That's my story!

K-Mom 10x3
  #1744   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 09:13

BF:
Progress:

Hawaii:

Oh, my heart smiles when I think of it. One month in paradise! I was there for two weeks alone, and then SD joined my for two weeks.

I swam almost every day! I was up to 36 laps when I left. I am a pretty good swimmer, so it is fairly easy to keep going when I do the front crawl and rhythmic breath. I also walked a ton every day. I had to do a little business, but that all worked out very well. I ended up selling a condo I had owned for 20 years on Kauai. It was a little hard emotionally to visit and clean out the owner's closet and get it ready for closing. But most of all I was thankful it sold.

My SD and I flew to Molokai for a few days. That is where I taught school a few years ago. My SD flew every week back and forth to the deaf school in Waikiki where she graduated.

The flight home was brutal and I don't think I will ever do that again. Three hour layover in LA in the middle of the night. Then problems with the plane, so we were stuck on the plane for over an hour before we took off. So no sleep that whole night. The problem was I was worried about my SD. She held it together, but I kept having visions of when she would lose it. So I had to stay strong myself, and also try to keep her strong. She amazed me.

Not sure what caused the Asthma. Air in the plane? Pollen in the air when I got home? Jaz - any thoughts?

Just had my O4. Back in the groove. My weight is good. Up two pounds which I will take because it has been a rough couple of weeks for me. I was actually done a couple I think after Hawaii.

Looking forward to some good weight loss. My first goal is 10x4.

K-Mom 10x3
  #1745   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 09:15

BF:
Progress:

Lots of typos, but I think it is understandable. No energy to go back and fix them.
  #1746   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 10:04

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Wow- so much happening! Happy Friday BTW

TRIG- Gee I hope you are feeling better. Do you think it was due to that place you ate? I know for a FACT I could not have gone to a place like that and ordered a Pizza and NOT gone off the rails. Good for you! – No WONDERFUL for you. You have more will than me. Pizza is a real TRIGGER food for me. Lots of water

BLUE- I just love the way you write. I can just picture myself where you are going. Soft evening breezes, laughter, and wine glasses flowing. Awesome time with old friends!

Kudo’s to you as well for getting your project done. People don’t realize just how much work and creativity goes into videos and commercials. Let alone movies or TV. You get to do what you love and get paid! Doesn’t get any better.
Enjoy your lovely weekend. Post if and when you can!!! But HAVE FUN!!!!

LEEANN- Pool Party at Leeann’s!!!!!!!! WHOOT WHOOT - no wait- Pool party at Jaz’s
30 people- that is a lot. I am only having 8 and 3 dogs- abut I have a SMALL 2 bedroom. However the pool area is spectacular- so we will move the party out there.
There even every beautiful bathrooms with showers.

I decided on Pulled BBQ Chicken- It actually is in the crock pot now. I will shred it tonight and just heat and serve tomorrow, pasta salad, baked beans, chips and hummus, veggie tray, fruit tray, deviled eggs, and tea and water ect…….
The pasta salad and bean are homemade- oh yea, and my coleslaw!

I too am hopeful the rain holds off. I think you have gotten more than us. But in the last week it has done nothing but rain. Good luck – keep me posted how your event goes!

LORI- sorry to hear about your windshield, what a pain. Glad to know however you are feeling better. Keto Flu- agree with BLUE- people are so ignorant. Ketosis is WAY different than Ketoacidosis. HELLO!!! But It sounds like you knew what to do! Golf this week end?

KMOM- So happy you are back. I hate you have had to go through all of that. Other than to say that once you have chronic Asthma- even if managed, you are still always at risk for attack. I am wondering if it was the change in air, pollutants, pollen, who knows what.

BUT then to have A-fib kick in- what a double whammy.
Did they go over with you now that you are on blood thinners that there are certain foods you should avoid? Deep greens for starters- but do look up the info on a reputable site.
Get informed and you can get control over this. It may take you a minute to get your energy after all you a have been through.
Chin up my dear- you are over the worst! So glad you are back. Was very worried.

Can’t chat long as I am at work and about to take off and start my weekend. TONS to get ready for – will check in later if I get a sec.
Have a wonderful day!
  #1747   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 06:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaimom

Nic: Hope the pool party is a ton of fun! I just need to say that when I was only checking sporadically when I was sick, I remember one time I saw you use the F word! I cracked up and almost spit on my computer!
K-Mom 10x3

Oh Lord, if you knew me IRL. I have a potty mouth in a big way. I dated a guy in HS that went on to be a pastor. That would have been singularly disastrous!

Loved your memory about your husband and your haircut. I have a husband haircut memory too but it isn't nearly as nice as yours!
  #1748   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 06:32

BF:

KMOM, so grateful to hear from you and catch up with you so fully. You have really been through it, my dear one. I am sure it was very scary. VERY scary. Thankful you are fine overall, thankful for medications to regulate your heart beat and keep you safe. Thankful that you had such a nice time in HI and with your SD.

I hope I remember your advice on Medicare D when I get to that stage. Someone remind me!

Rest up and get stronger. I think a weight gain of only two pounds is absolutely incredible. I move more than that in a week! You go girl!!!
  #1749   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 06:40

BF:

So the weather around here has been positively BEASTLY over the past two weeks. If weather could be called schizophrenic then I would have to use that term here- it changes several times within the same DAY for heaven's sake and sometimes even within a couple of hours. This morning I got up at 7:15 AM and it was clear and sunny. By 8:30 AM it has clouded over and rained lightly. This will likely go on all day- clear skies, clouds, rain or thunderstorms, rinse and repeat. Two days ago they were calling for nice weather today (or at least the best of the weekend) and today depending on the weather you look at, 60% chance of rain or thunderstorms and a high of 71, or scattered showers but either way quite cool. Not really pool weather either way, especially in an unheated pool! No biggie though, I sent an note out on the evite letting people know we would just roll with it- eat inside or out depending on the weather, annual wiffle ball game moved from the grass to the court between rain showers, video games and air hockey for the boys down in the basement. We'll make it work.

So there will be a lot of cleaning up going on around here today- main and basement level have to be done now and also the pool house and around the pool. Much more to do than usual for a pool party. I've got to run to WM to get a card and gift cards for the coach's gift also.

Brined the pork butts from 9PM-2AM and then got up, dried and seasoned them and got them in wrapped in the oven for a slow cook for 12 hours. 17 pounds of pork butt! Then two more hours uncovered for a nice bark and we will be ready to shred that sucker. 60 rolls, and tea, lemonade and water. That's our part! Others are bringing watermelon, desserts, chips, mac and cheese, pasta salad. It'll be a good time!

Tomorrow looks like recovery time and then in the evening it's seven of us headed off to the dinner theater for Beauty and the Beast.
  #1750   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 18:55

BF:

I hope that everyone is having a wonderful weekend. I will do personals tomorrow. I just have a quick minute - before my son joins me for a movie.

What a WONDERFUL day I have had. My little Noah- omg so sweet. He remember me- first time- and run to my arms and would not leave his Gigi the entire day.
Even in the pool he "screamed for his Gigi" This boy will be totally spoiled. I totally had so much fun with my kids, grandson. Mom and her husband even came.
Then after a day at the pool, exploring, eating, more pool time, laughter too, he fell asleep on his Gigi! SIGHHHHHHHHHH
So in love with that little boy.

It was so fun to watch my kids- my son surprised my DD and came outta the bedroom and said surprise "sis". She stuttered...... Are you really here? BRO..... She screamed...... She was shocked and happy- such a great time. We ate (I was SO GOOD- not one cheat) NOT ONE! But my heart was so full to watch my wonderful kids.

I also introduced my neighbor who was at the pool to be included in our festivities- her and her daughter- . Everyone had such a great time. Mom left after an hour- she some how was not in the mood- ok BYE- I did not allow her sour mood to spoil my time. She was miffed it was not all about her- so she left. HAHAHAHA-

So my DD ask me to come and spend the night next weekend so she and hubby can go see the play Lion king. So I will go to Greenville and spend the entire day with dear grandson. It will be the first as more than just a few hours. I am so glad as I want to be "that grandma".
Ok enough gushing-
Just a day I will treasure forever! One on many more to come!

Hope you all have had a terrific day. Son is outta the shower now- and we are settling in to watch a movie.

100% percent for me. Sent the pasta home with DD- and the bread, and the chips and hummus. Nothing left but slaw and BBQ chicken. -
Going to put in a port roast tomorrow. DS- is going to spend the day with his sis tomorrow- sans me. I bowed out as I will spend the week with him and she only sees him a couple time year. Of course the ENTIRE time we are telling him to move.

Ok really done now
  #1751   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 04:32

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

KM, WOW, so sorry you had such a bad time with your health situation. All that seems so scary! So happy you are stable and on the mend. I hope everything continues to improve for you!!

Nicco, sounds like you got control of your party and all is ok for you now. the butt sounds delish! you know me and meat
Weather, OMG the weather is friggin' insanity!!!

Jazz, you sure sound like you had the best time. Happy for ya! Little grandkiddy is now your best friend
100% on plan girl, ya can't go wrong with that. That is what it takes, have the fun and great times but keep eating the lc foods. Our lives can change in the food dept if we want it to happen
Happy all went so well for you!

The troops are on vacay!!

HI ALL
feel better which is good.

monster storm last night. Hail and scary winds.

tree down in backyard. crushed my fence.
just missed my pool by a foot.
my patio pool furniture is all over the yard....heavy metal glass table upside down and not broken and chairs in yard.
I looked out and it seems my neighbors big tall flag pole is lying on the ground.
don't 'see' anything else around.
Have to check back horse pasture. Got monster big trees back there and some were not looking stable. Hope my other fences are ok now. I kinda don't want to look ya know LOL

So boring day. gonna clean some things. do a barn/tree/fence walk check. Cars seem ok so hail didn't do damage.

off to get the morning rolling along. everyone have a fine day
  #1752   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 04:33

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

I had a bad night and have a pounding head this morning. My own fault......I had A LOT of fun at the wedding reception last night! Did perfect with my eating, but had beer & wine...OY. Thinking I shouldn't have mixed the two. I danced like a fool and had a great time. I'm hoping the headache eases before golf time.

Jaz...what a great day you had! So glad it all worked out so well.

Well, my head is hurting too badly to think. If I survive the day, I'll catch up with you all later.
  #1753   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 05:23

BF:

Lori- SO BEEN THERE..... we party and have a great time. Them BAM out bodies have a way of reminding us we are not 20 anymore!
Water Water Water- aspirin Water and more water.

Hope your golf game doesn't get rained out.

TRIG- wow scary storms! And missed your pool by a foot. What a blessing a foot can make! We have had the rain in the last week. Makes trees weak.
Gosh I am glad your table didn't shatter. What a mess!
I woke up to a thunder storm this morning. Storm are in the forecast for us both for the next couple days.
you are so right about LC- ya can still have fun and not blow it. Sometimes though ya need plan B. Like when you ended up at the Italian restaurant. I would NOT have handled that as well as you. WELL DONE WARRIOR!

Blue- hoping you are having a awesome time. Can't wait to hear all about your weekend. Nothing like being surrounded by friends. Hope you feel refreshed and rested and invigorated .

Leeann- Hey how was the party? It was yesterday right. Boy you sure did the recooking. but like you I made up the shredded BBQ the night before. Including the sides. I sent ALL the pasta salad and buns and more meat home with DD. Needed to get it gone. Tossed the leftover chips in the trash. CARB BE GONE!
Did any of your guest spend the night?

KMOM- hey gal pal- hope you are getting stronger everyday.
------------------------------------------------
All- such a quite morning. Got up to thunder and lightening. Bella refused to go out. she got fed and is now curled up and snoring beside me.
Having my second cup of coffee and waiting for DS to get outta the shower.
He really wanted to go to church this morning. Begrudging I will go. Not really my bag, but I know it's important to him. So I will go. We will come back here for lunch and he will head to SC to spend the rest of his time with his sister before he heads home.
I know he really doesn't want to leave.

He mentioned if he found a job here could he stay a few weeks until he found a house or apt. YES! It would be awesome to have the kids here close!

Time for 1 more cup of coffee then off into my morning. will check in later!
Have a great day ya'll!!!!!!!
  #1754   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 06:56

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Lori......groan!....been there done that I would have a headache this morning after a wedding also just like you LOL
just take the day, chill, relax and tomorrow will be alot nicer to ya
before golf? huh, well girl ya didn't drink that much if ya can golf today HAHA

Jaz, ya just sound so damn good! Happy for ya! You are in that great place. Having fun, doing good on plan, enjoying life and got the bills paid also I mean what the heck is life but all that crap LOL

Gotta be a Warrior. No choice for me

Church is cool. Nothing wrong with going and getting to hear a good word about the world and the people in it I am not a church goer anymore, but I was way back. Roman Catholic here But ya know one can find spiritual anywhere they need it to be. Go to church and enjoy your time with your son, that is what it is about, and if ya come out feeling better than ya went in, then more power to it

tree down is gonna be a pain. tree split. gonna have to remove the whole thing plus cut most of the one next to it that 'kinda overhangs' the parking spot for the rv and the garage. can we say way too much friggin work here!
  #1755   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 09:08

BF:

Jaz, reading about your party and time with you family (particularly Noah) really warmed my heart so much. I am so glad that your kids love and appreciate you and that you are getting this lovely time with your family. Perfect! Well done with the food too and staying on plan! How is your DD feeling? Pregnancy doing well then, yay!! Fingers crossed!

Blue- Missing ya! Hope you are having a ball.

Trig- Oh no! Bummer on the downed and split tree and the work that it will entail, plus the fence too. This weather has SUCKED SO BAD. More rain expected for you guys?

Lori- Sorry about the headache. The alcohol did you in!

KMOM- sending hugs!

••••••••••••

The party went well- very successful. Plenty of food to go around and maybe slightly less than 2 pounds of pulled pork left from the 17# so I called it pretty well. It was far too cool for the pool but no one cared. The boys LOVED the wiffle ball out in the court- I had bought bases for it as well this year- and they had full on games going that they did the whole time except when they were eating or getting their recognition from the coach.

The adults hung out and talked outside (we spray for mosquitos so no bugs= big advantage!) or watched some of the wiffle game. Everyone seemed very happy and seemed to have a good time. First arrival was 4:45 and last family left at 9:30. By the time the post-party clean up was finished we were dead tired.

Resting up today. DH went to church (DS15 bailed on him last minute but he was already up) and is getting his phone fixed at the mall afterward. Said he saw DD22 and her F at church which was a surprise- they typically go to another one. Everyone meets up here around 4:45 to go to the dinner theater tonight. DS18 went with his GF to her parent's church bc her dad is doing the sermon or something today. Dunno.

I want to mow the lawn but DS15 says he wants to do it. Meh. It has to be done by 1 bc it is supposed to rain later on.
Closed Thread