Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 07:13
Registered Member

Plan: Body Opus
Stats: 235/180/155 Male 68
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha22
Thank you, awesome video!
Makes sense now.
I could see how cracking it into the water would make a mess of it.
I'll have to try this one morning!

I do have a steamer, haven't used it for eggs yet. I'll have to give it a try.

You can crack thm directly into boiling water if you want.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 09:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I haven't poached an egg in over 20 years. It's just easier to fry them.

But they don't taste as good, IMHO!

I do have a new poaching method.

I heat water to a boil in my tea kettle. Break my egg into a bowl. Carefully pour boiling water over the egg and then microwave it for about 1 minute. It comes out with the yolk a little firmer than a 3 min poaching but I rather like it. Everything is very creamy and nice. It is faster than using a pan on the stove and easier to clean up.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 13:11

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I absolutely adore poached eggs on buttered toast, but I really, really miss the buttered toast when I try to eat them plain. What are you putting on them Nancy? Anything?

Ruhlman says a couple spoonfuls of beurre blanc on each poached egg is delicious. I tried that this morning and I thought it was too wine-y for breakfast.

Maybe I'll try eggs benedict without the muffin next weekend: Canadian bacon, poached egg, and hollandaise. Lots of work. There's another old standard dish like that (with a name that I can't think of) where you use an artichoke bottom in place of the english muffin and canadian bacon. So it's an artichoke heart, a poached egg and hollandaise. Also a lot of work. Some people replace the english muffin and canadian bacon with a crab cake.

I need more everyday things.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/140/136 Female 6'.0"
BF:
Progress:

Here's the easiest way in the world to poach your eggs: Boil the kettle, crack your egg in to a polythene sandwich bag, dangle the bag into the kettle. Three minutes later - perfect poached egg - you can ditch the bag and there is no pan to wash.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 19:28

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimmJimm
Here's the easiest way in the world to poach your eggs: Boil the kettle, crack your egg in to a polythene sandwich bag, dangle the bag into the kettle. Three minutes later - perfect poached egg - you can ditch the bag and there is no pan to wash.

Or just get one of these:

microwave egg poacher

I have one, it actually works pretty well and fast. 90 seconds to cook two eggs and if you butter the cooking tray, cleanup is a one paper towel wipe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poacher.jpg (4.7 KB, 9 views)
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 20:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
I absolutely adore poached eggs on buttered toast, but I really, really miss the buttered toast when I try to eat them plain. What are you putting on them Nancy? Anything?

Butter! I had some garlic/marjoram compound butter too that was good on them. But really, just butter, salt and pepper is good. Also, I always ate them with bacon.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 19:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Little late to chime in, but I have discovered a toast substitute I use for my eggs. I heat a teflon pan med hot then sprinkle sharp cheddar cheese until it is good and bubbly & can be turned over. Just a quick sear on that side and enjoy a crispy treat!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 13:01

Plan: PaNu (lacto-paleo) & VLC
Stats: 267/235.2/195 Male 71 inches
BF:40/35/20
Progress: 44%

Vinegar was recommended by Heloise of "Household Hints by Heloise" fame to coagulate the whites of poached eggs. Many years later her daughter, who took over the family biz, debunked this and many other myths propagated by her mother...

My dad made 2 poached eggs on toast every weekday morning with apple cider vinegar - because Heloise recommended it. I still make 'em with the vinegar, cuz I love the smell and the taste!

My wife discovered a neat trick. Use a non-stick frying pan and just barely enough water to cover the eggs. They form up into nicely shaped ovals with the whites kept together.

I still make 'em in a pot for traditions sake.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 01:37

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

I've always loved them topping corned-beef hash - made with cauliflower of course! A yummy lunch dish (or whatever meal you want them for)! And I use apple cider vinegar too but not as much as the gal in the video!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 15:09

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Another way I eat them might work for those missing the buttered toast. I make a flax/almond meal pancake, slather it with butter and top it with a poached egg or two. Pretty darn good!!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-10, 22:33
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I just recently got the cutest little silicone egg poaching cups!

You just smear a little oil of some kind in them (so they don't stick), crack an egg into it, and set them in a pan/pot of slightly boiling water for a few minutes. Lift them out (they aren't hot to touch) and slide them out into a plate. They're adorable! I hadn't had poached eggs since I was a little girl. I bought them to give my daughter a try. She hates the rubberyness of egg whites. She likes this pretty well.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-10, 23:28

Plan: CAD
Stats: 176/-/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 10%

I cook my eggs like this:

Warm a pan on low-med heat. Melt a pat of butter (per egg). Crack the egg(s) into the pan and then pour in just a tiny bit of water. The water doesn't need to cover the eggs. Put a lid on and let them steam until your desired texture. I usually do 3-5 mins for a well cooked yolk. Perfect every time. I saw this on the Food Network although for the life of me I can't remember which cook did it. It was either Sunny Anderson or Claire Robinson...I think.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-10, 11:26

Plan: Whole Foods, Mod Carbs
Stats: 292.4/190.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I was introduced to eggs benedict recently while on vacation in London, England. It instantly became a favourite!!

Craving it this morning, I decided to try to make it on my own and poached my first egg!! Yummmm, so good! The vinegar really does help