Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 23:17

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%
Default Happy news

My youngest sister learned she was diabetic a month or so ago, so last week I sent her Jenny's book, Blood Sugars 101 and Bernstein's Diabetic Solution. She raced through the first book, and is now in the midst of the second. You might be interested in that she did not pick up the message 6-12-12 carbs. I could tell that from what she told me she was eating. But what she did pick up was that she should eat a whole less lot carbs, and has been doing so. And wonder of wonder, her diabetes doctor told her he really wanted her to get those FBGs below 100. And her foot doctor was concerned about the diabetes. She didn't know why she spiked, after having got suddenly numbers in the low 100s after usually being over 200. He quickly got to the core of the problem, a couple of ears of corn. He gave her a list of very high, high, medium and low foods and advised her to stick with the two lower categories. Sounds like she is having enough fun figuring all of this out, that I didn't offer any advice, beyond assuring her that it was OK to take a while to get to her goals. She really is excited that blood sugars can be controlled by what she eat. Anyway she is thrilled. So am I.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 08:43
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

That is great news Rob. After I began having success with LC for my diabetes, my Brother tried to "convince" his Type1 wife to do the same. If you have been married a long time you probably know how that can go... Eventually Cindy started talking to me directly about it and is now LC and using MUCH less insulin... but no way was my brother (her husband) gonna convince her. I think for some people (me) 30 years of marriage can often make us immune to our spouses frequencies...

/smile
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 17:04
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

That's great news for both of you! Although I'm trying to find ways of eating more normally in the low carb framework, I've drank the Kool-Aid and will never go back.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 14:01

Plan: Dr J Hays
Stats: 220/175/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hi Rob, thanks for the referral to Blood Sugar 101, I had not seen that one yet. I found Gretchen Becker's "The First Year Type 2 Diabetes" to be very helpful, especially her dissection of 4 different diets that are recommended, and her advice that you must find the one that works for you. And also the discussion about oral medications and which ones affect the liver or the kidney. Very well researched but easy to read.