Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 07:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Backlash over Murdoch University's decision to host 'dangerous nutrition expert'

Hint: that "dangerous nutrition expert" advocates LCHF

link to article

Quote:
Backlash over Murdoch Uni's decision to host 'dangerous nutrition expert'

by Hannah Barry, Western Australia News, June 8 2017

Students, dieticians and fitness professionals have criticised Murdoch University for pushing ahead with a seminar organised by controversial nutritionist Christine Cronau, despite backlash from a petition regarding her qualifications and 'dangerous diet advice'.

Ms Cronau is a Brisbane-based "nutrition expert" and author of Bring Back The Fat.

She advocates a low carb, high saturated fat diet which focuses on the science behind eating foods such as cream, butter and eggs in moderated portions, and often conducts seminars educating people on her diet.

She announced her plans to offer her Bring Back the Fat 2017 seminars in Western Australia earlier this year, and a date at Edith Cowan University's Joondalup campus was set for June 25. Tickets range from $40 to $130.

But a petition calling to ban her from speaking at the university soon gathered more than 200 signatures, and ECU officials then called off the event.

"ECU, like many universities, allows external groups and individuals to hire our venues when they are not otherwise being used," a spokesperson said.

"After this event was brought to our attention, we have taken the decision to decline the venue booking as it does not align with our evidence-based approach to dietetics teaching and research."

The University of Adelaide also cancelled her South Australian event following pressure from students and other activists.

Following ECU's announcement, Ms Cronau and her management team rescheduled the speaking engagement to Murdoch University's South Street campus, also for June 25.

But Perth accredited dietician Chris Vavakis has now petitioned to have her second WA seminar cancelled, and said the event would align Murdoch with "dangerous medical and nutritional advice".

"Christine Cronau provides dangerous medical and nutritional advice without any credible qualifications in either area," he said.

"Should Vice Chancellor Eeva Leinonen and her senior executive team at Murdoch University knowingly allow this dangerous nonsense to be promoted on their campus, it is my opinion that they are morally bankrupt.

"Both Edith Cowan University and the University of Adelaide quickly cancelled Ms Cronau's event bookings once the true nature of her presentation came to light. I sincerely hope Murdoch will publicly reinforce its commitment to science and rational thinking and do the same."

However a Murdoch spokesman said the university would stand behind its decision to allow Ms Cronau to host her seminar.

"Murdoch University, as an institution of learning, works to promote critical thinking and learning through discussion, debate and exposure to alternatives points of view. One way to achieve this is to welcome other voices on campus in the form of guest speakers or visiting lecturers," he said.

"The University takes a common sense approach to the debate of controversial issues – we do not condone hate speech in any form and we do encourage respectful and insightful debate of thought provoking topics.

"Murdoch University campuses are places where different views can be respectfully aired and debated. This does not necessarily mean that the University or individual staff and students agree with those views, including those of guest speakers."

Ms Cronau has since hit back at the petition, and said she was the target of bullying.

"This petition they call me a quack and a charlatan. They also call me the 'butternut', 'Christine ConFrau[d]', a 'zealot', 'a joker', a 'hypocrite', and that is just on their latest post! Previously, I have been called everything under the sun, from 'as ugly as sin' to 'dumb b----'," she said.

"In June, I am speaking in Adelaide and Perth. They petitioned the universities where I was speaking- ECU and Adelaide- and told them I was a quack and a charlatan with no qualifications, and to cancel my booking. Being the high quality petition that it was (not), I assumed the universities would ignore it. But they didn't and cancelled my bookings.

"The events are going ahead regardless. We will make it happen. Murdoch University has given me permission to speak, regardless of complaints or petitions from the hate page. And a new venue for Adelaide will be announced shortly."

But students have continued to raise concerns about Murdoch's decision to push ahead with the seminar.

"As an allied health professional, I feel that evidence based practice is very important. There is too much misinformation being spread by people with inadequate or no education," one post said.

"University should be a ground of sharing evidence-based knowledge and not harmful pseudoscience. Hosting people like this at Murdoch gives them a level of credibility they do not deserve and have not earned. It is a risk to the public and to Murdoch's reputation as an institute of learning," another said.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 07:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Cronau's response to the online petition, from her facebook page ..

https://www.facebook.com/ChristineC...874620/?type=3#

Quote:
The bullies will NOT stop me speaking, or stop us from spreading this message...

I have been bullied much of my life. And, while it is never pleasant, it's often what drives me to do even better.

The bullies started when I was just a little girl in school. Our family was always a little different (ok, a lot different). My parents moved us here from the U.S. so my father could lecture at the University of Qld, so we spoke differently. I was one of a very large family (also unusual), and we were poor, so we were dressed in hand-me-downs instead of the latest fashions. I was bullied from grade 2 until almost the end of high school, and other times later in life.

And now, I am bullied by those who hate my message. Well, things are no different. I have come to learn a lot about bullies. They are always very angry and hateful, but it is always because they are unhappy with themselves.

The other reason they use so much vitriol and name calling is because they have nothing of value to say. If they had relevant facts and evidence, they would use it. So they resort to what they know best.

For the last three years, it has been coming from a hate page called Blocked by Pete Evans.

In this petition they call me a quack and a charlatan. They also call me the "butter nut," "Christine ConFrau," a "zealot," "a joker," a "hypocrite," and that is just on their latest post! Previously, I have been called everything under the sun, from "as ugly as sin" to "dumb bit#~."

In June, I am speaking in Adelaide and Perth. They petitioned the universities where I was speaking (ECU and University of Adelaide), told them I was a quack and a charlatan with no qualifications, and to cancel my booking. Being the high quality petition that it was (not), I assumed the universities would ignore it. But they didn't and cancelled my bookings.

Some on the hate page started announcing that they cancelled my events. Sorry guys, you don't have that much power.

The events are going ahead regardless. We will make it happen. Murdoch university has given me permission to speak, regardless of complaints or petitions from the hate page. And a new venue for Adelaide will be announced shortly.

If you are outraged by ECU and Uni of Adelaide taking this action, please let them know.

Historically, universities have always been institutions for open debate and discussion. If we shut that down, we cannot progress. To make a complaint, for ECU, ecu.complaints~ecu.edu.au and for Adelaide Uni, virginia.deegan~adelaide.edu.au. If Adelaide Uni gives you another story as to why they cancelled my booking, it isn't true.

You could also thank Murdoch university for taking a stand against this type of bullying and harassment.

Ugliness and hate thrives in darkness, so let's shine a whole lot of light onto what these people actually do. Together we will keep getting the message out and making a difference.

Please share, share, share...

#bringbackthefat
#LCHF

christinecronau.com/events
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 09:00

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
it does not align with our evidence-based approach to dietetics teaching and research.
Australia must be farther from civilization than I thought. Imagine--no evidence for the benefits of low-carbohydrate nutrition??

Ignorance of ten or twenty (recent) years of evidence for the healthy outcomes of low-carbohydrate nutrition may perhaps be a feature of the southern hemisphere, considering the persecution of Dr. Tim Noakes and others down there.

Of course, suppression of dissenting opinions or ideas has become universal lately. We're headed for the Dark Ages again.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 13:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Dangerous?

Vegans kill babies with their purist "health" advice and yet we are the "dangerous" ones.

Bizarre.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 15:43

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots

Of course, suppression of dissenting opinions or ideas has become universal lately. We're headed for the Dark Ages again.

Dark ages indeed. Whatever the purpose of these professional organizations may have been when they were founded, they become more concerned with maintaining power than anything else. The truth be damned!

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 04:36

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

"Dangerous Nutrition Expert"?

Makes it sound like she's an armed robber, who just happens to be a nutrition expert.

I find it quite ironic that they're still calling her a nutrition expert, while claiming her nutritional expertise to be dangerous.