Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-10, 07:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 237/215/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default stamina (I need some help?)

Please help i been working out for over 6 weeks 4 to 5 days a week. i always get dizzy and sick. and i can't go for a long time... How do i build stamina where i wont get sick or dizzy... I want to push myself so i can lose this weight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-10, 12:50

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Build gradually and remember that workouts build strength, they do NOT melt fat.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-10, 13:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBug
Build gradually and remember that workouts build strength, they do NOT melt fat.

what melts fat besides low carbing?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-10, 14:02

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

What actually are you trying to do and for how long?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-10, 19:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
What actually are you trying to do and for how long?

i'm trying to loss about 70 pound. but my lack of stamina is getting in the way. i do step class and i want to quit in the middle of class. i went to a spin class. that was a killer. i can only run for 30 seconds on a treadmill. it's bad.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-10, 19:35

Plan: Keto and IF
Stats: 181.3/180.6/160 Female 5' 6"
BF:-63.1/-21.3 to go
Progress: 3%

Hi Rosalynn
Being sick and dizzy can't feel good. Maybe try just walking and then gradually get into a faster pace or longer walk. It will burn fat. I've been starting to walk and I'm really liking it. I noticed at times where I've started to push myself, I quit and that's not good either. So do what you can that doesn't make you feel yucky cause then you just may want to quit too. Good luck to you in finding what works best for you
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-10, 19:36

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Maybe you're trying to do too much too fast. If you're overtraining right off the bat, your body will have a hard time healing and adapting and you may never get anywhere but injury.

Maybe try a nice, moderate, shorter class until that feels mastered. Then considered something harder or longer.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-10, 20:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smullen
Hi Rosalynn
Being sick and dizzy can't feel good. Maybe try just walking and then gradually get into a faster pace or longer walk. It will burn fat. I've been starting to walk and I'm really liking it. I noticed at times where I've started to push myself, I quit and that's not good either. So do what you can that doesn't make you feel yucky cause then you just may want to quit too. Good luck to you in finding what works best for you

omg smullen.. you use to be 215.... how long did it take you to lose it.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-10, 20:45

Stop and step and spin classes and start training like an athlete. Best thing you can do is get in the weight room and start building strength. Diet melts fat. Training builds lean muscle. Both have their place, but for fat loss, proper diet is all. Start slow, your gym probably has personal trainers that will help get you started with the weights. They also will recommend "cardio." Ignore that recommendation.

When I was training for the Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk (26.2 miles, finished it in about 7 hours) I bet I walked more than any 3 people on this board and my weight never got much below 158. Note: I started at 202 lbs, and dropped to about 160 doing light dumbbell workouts and being LC-ish. After the walk, I hung up my New Balances and started lifting weights and watching carbs carefully and dropped 15 pounds of fat while adding lean muscle mass. I have stabilized at 149-150 and 9% body fat.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-10, 05:14

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalynn86
i can only run for 30 seconds on a treadmill. it's bad.

I just wanted to add that IT is POSSIBLE to run longer distances. It takes some time for your body to switch from carb burner to fat burner. Once it does, you will find that you can go the distance with or without food. I regularly run 10 miles at a time and have no issues with energy. As a matter of fact, I run better as a LC because I don't get that muscle burn anymore (from using glycogen as fuel)
Best of luck to you!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-10, 08:24

Hi Rosalynn,
I've been LCing since end of July. Have had some ups and downs but stuck to it. All with the help of some great ppl here who kept on encouraging me to keep going at it.
I agree with the strength building and need to start doing that as well. I've lost quite a bit and need to tighten up. However I do like my cardio work. I believe I'm building a strong heart as well and not just doing it for weight loss. I want to incorporate cardio and strength training. Now I think it will be easier to do it at a lesser weight. I have to do what works for me cause I want this to be for the long term and for myself I know if/when I had times of trying to push it, I would quit. Slow and steady will win the race for me. I didn't gain the weight over night and neither will it go away that quickly. I wish the best of luck to you and just never give up. Use this place as a security blanket. I used to and still do come on here very frequently as it helps me to stay focused and others here have great advice and encouragement to offer.
Wishing you a wonderful day
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-10, 08:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBug
Stop and step and spin classes and start training like an athlete. Best thing you can do is get in the weight room and start building strength. Diet melts fat. Training builds lean muscle. Both have their place, but for fat loss, proper diet is all. Start slow, your gym probably has personal trainers that will help get you started with the weights. They also will recommend "cardio." Ignore that recommendation.

omg.lol.. i have personal trainner and that is exactly what she said. so i been pushing myself hard in cardio and feeling like crap.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-10, 09:17

May I ask what kind of strength training your trainer recommended to start off with? Or AlienBug can you make some suggestions of what is a good start. I'm interested...???
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-10, 10:48

There are virtually limitless weight training programs. I like to hit the major muscle groups in combination. Google "dumbbell home exercise."

As mentioned above, at 37 years old I have no desire to spend endless hours working the beach and mirror muscles. I need the baby-chasing, carrying-laundry-up-the-stairs muscles. What I do on dumbbell days is heavy 1-arm dumbbell shoulder presses and heavy dumbbell deadlifts, also called "suitcase deadlifts." A couple sets of each, with enough weight that 5-6 is a challenge and 8 is impossible, and call it a day. That'll get you stronger than 90% of your peers. The workout should not take longer than 15 minutes or so. I have things I'd rather be doing than puffing like a hamster on a wheel for 45 minutes 5x a week.

"Feeling like crap" is a common side effect of "cardio" training, just like knee pain, ankle pain, shin pain, hip pain and sudden onset chest pain followed by no pain at all...ever, are common side effects of running. The word "cardio" was invented by a marketing genius to trick men into doing aerobics. Don't fall for it.

For some reason, the same people who are on this board because they don't believe the "low fat lots of vegetables" government recommendations continue to believe the "1 hour of cardio exercise 4-5x a week" government recommendations. Skip the hamster training. Get stronger and live well.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-10, 15:45

Thank you for this advice. It was motivating to me to do some strength training. I borrowed my nieces P90x and I heard it's rather difficult but I'm gonna give it a try and see if I can build up strength with it. I have dumbbells so I'm going to google what you said. Thanks again