Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 08:43

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Well, one good thing to come from the title of this thread is the information about kidney stones. Having been on Atkins, following the book to the letter with only a very few steps off the path, so to speak, I can report I have no kidney stones, no head-fog (which was a huge problem), no more headaches, don't pick up every "bug" that is within a mile radius like I used to...in other words, I am healthy. And the weight certainly didn't come off in four months, either ! I also don't exist on meat, cheese and bacon. (Where in the world did this misinformation originate, anyway??)

Dr. Atkins said not to start this WOE without seeing a doctor first, original poster's first mistake, IMHO. Second mistake was in not seeing the doctor for the chronic lower-back pain after the condition persisted more than two weeks. Third mistake was coming to this site and starting a thread titled, "LC almost killed me!". Want to post information about possible health issues on this board? Try a different title! One such as "Doctor says kidney stones caused by LC WOE" would have gotten a much better reception.

Dr. A also says this WOE isn't for everyone, for a variety of reasons. It is time for the original poster to move on.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 12:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 125/106/100 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 76%

I don't understand all the hostility going back and forth. Personally, I am sold on Atkin diet's ability's to loose weight. However, no scientific study is 100%. We are all different and susceptible to different risks. A warning to those who think that everything in the Atkins book is 100% correct and those who are so sure that Atkins cause all kind of ailment. It doesn't matter if there are studies out there that praise Atkins or bash Atkins. All it matter is that you do whatever makes you feel well. My boyfriend and I are on the modified Atkins. Meaning we skip the rice, bread, cake, pasta, potato, but we don't shy away from LC tortilla, sometimes I put a teaspoon of corn starch in sauces, use a pinch of sugar in savory food to balance out the flavor, and we don't use measuring cups on low carb vegetables (eat as much as we like). I feel great and he has lost 30 lbs. My boyfriend is eating alot more vegetables now than he use to despite popular belief that people on Atkins eat eggs and bacons all day. Before Atkins, he would eat potato or pasta as side dishes, but now his only choice is vegetable. I, on the other hand, still eat the same amount of vegetable and seafood (big fan of fish and shrimp), more meat than I use to, and no more rice and noodles (I am Asian). For those who felt weird on LC, then I praise you for trying out something more moderate. For those who felt energetic and fit on LC, then keep up the good work.
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 10:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

Something to think about....
It truly doesnt matter if you're overweight and a study PROVES that the BEST way to lose weight is a low calorie/low fat diet UNLESS you're able to put it into action. Many people doing atkins are successful because they can enjoy life and lose weight at the same time. If you're unable to stick to a diet then it's virtually worthless. I can follow atkins, eat what most people consider to be very healthy foods, drink a ton of water, lose weight so that I can breathe going up stairs and my joints will stop hurting, and basically remain healthy. OR...I can attempt a diet that is far more restrictive, get frustrated, feel hungry, quit (been there & done that) and keep the weight on so that my joints still hurt and I cant breathe well when doing anything that requires some small level of exertion. I'm doing what works for me and trying my best to avoid the potential pitfalls (by drinking a ton of water and not getting my carbs from junk). Bottom line is that whatever will work (within reason) for an individual that is obese should be applauded.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 18:00
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVA
Well, one good thing to come from the title of this thread is the information about kidney stones.

Yes, so for future reference I thought I’d add this excerpt from the book ‘Life Without Bread’. It is in the chapter about Heart Disease risk factors.

Uric Acid and Kidney Stones

An elevated level of uric acid is another risk factor for heart disease, the significance of which has been noted for years. The uric acid present in humans is a metabolite of dietary protein and nucleotides (or nucleic acids), both components of the cell nucleus.
High blood levels of uric acid are associated with deposition of uric acid in tissues, in urinary stones, or in the kidneys. With a low-carbohydrate diet, the intake of meat, and therefore that of nucleic acids and proteins, is increased. Consequently, the uric-acid levels should rise.
However, exactly the opposite happens. Figure 6.3 shows what happened to 193 patients with elevated uric acid levels under a low-carbohydrate diet. As you can see, the concentration of uric acid dropped immediately and reached a low point after four months. From then on, it slowly increased again until it stabilized at an intermediate value. The diet has a definite lowering effect on uric acid. Therefore, one may conclude that high uric-acid levels are caused at least partially by dietary carbohydrates.
For a long time, it has been known that infusion of sugar solutions, especially fructose and sorbitol, cause a quick elevation of uric acid. This is due to an overproduction of uric acid and not due to lowered excretion, because the rise in uric acid after sugar infusion can be suppressed by the body, using allopurinol. Allopurinol inhibits the enzyme xanthine oxidase, which aids in the production of uric acid. So it seems that carbohydrates stimulate uric-acid production. This alone should be a reason to put people with elevated uric-acid levels on a carbohydrate-restricted diet.
The fact that some levels rose over time shows that there certainly are cases of individuals who depart from the norm and experience a further rise in uric acid after a carbohydrate-restrictive diet is in place. The patients whose uric-acid levels increased had parallel changes in their cholesterol levels. These people probably had a metabolic disorder that was uncorrectable by a low-carbohydrate diet.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 05:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 90/90/72 Female 1,66
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe140
I have been following the Atkins diet since January 2004. Acheived my goal weight and other than feeling very tired all the time enjoyed the new thin me. I did pay a price though......In April 2004 I was diagnosised with kidney stones. Caused by Atkins? Jury is out on that but I had constant back pain during my whole low carb experience, never before. Opted to do a lithotripsy ( laser that crushes the stones) on May 20. A simple 1/2 hr procedure turned into a week long fight for me to live. My body rejected every aspertame, nutrasweet, slpenda, and any other fake crap I have put in it over the past six months. I broke out in rashes, vomited for 5 days. Finally after the talk of a feeding by IV, I grabbed white bread toast and grits and by GOD I KEPT IT DOWN!!!! My Atkins warped brain could understand that your body needs carbs to heal, to run as well oiled machine. I am not sure what path to take my maintnance down. All low carb foods still make me feel like vomiting. This is not Atkins bashing, it is warning.

Hello Tobe 140,

I have read your experience “low carb almost killed me”. I hope you are feeling better now and that you haven’t any further problems.
Well, I have a friend who is actually writing a book about Anti-Atkins. And at the moment she is looking for someone who did Atkins and might sharing him/hers experience with her. Maybe you will send her an e-mail and tell your story. I am sure that she will be very happy to have some negative aspects (like yours) of Atkins that could happen and everybody should know BEFORE starting. Of course she will publish your experience in her book but if you have any further questions about the book (and …) don’t hesitate to contact her (Elli_Journalist~web.de).
I wish you and all the others good luck with atkins. Hoping all of you are tolerant and understand my appeal. But she is a very good friendJ And if anybody wants to share there problems / experience with her please mail to her. She is also German but spend a year in New York… J

Have a nice day.
Yours,
Anna
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 12:35
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS ALL THE WAY
Stats: 240/155/155 Male 5ft 8inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendel
I've always been told that the antibiotics prescribed for urinary tract infections can cause kidney stones, especially if you don't drink enough water with them. (Interestingly, now that I'm doing low-carb, I never seem to get the UTIs anymore. My guess is that the lack of sugar in my diet and the lower blood glucose are helping.)

Sorry to hear of your troubles! But I wouldn't give up on LC.

That why i drink up to 15 cups of water or even more.