Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Your favorite cardio video series!
The Firm 88 20.90%
Kathy Smith 26 6.18%
Richard Simmons 39 9.26%
Denise Austin 24 5.70%
Tamilee Webb 8 1.90%
Buns of Steel Series 6 1.43%
Gilad 10 2.38%
Taebo 90 21.38%
Kathy Ireland 0 0%
Cindy Crawford 6 1.43%
Jane Fonda 8 1.90%
Other 155 36.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 421. You may not vote on this poll

#121   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-04, 13:12

Plan: Own
Stats: 145/114/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 124%

4bidden-I also have Susan Powter, although I have the "moving" tape. It's about 10 years old, but I love it! It has gotten too easy for me, and I recently bought The Firm, but I can't get the coreography down with those! I get so frustrated and end up doing the Susan Powter again! I've never even heard of the one you mentioned...is it a step aerobics tape? I've been to her site hoping to find a more advanced tape/dvd, but the site wasn't working when I went. If you're familiar with her work, any advice for which advanced tape to try?
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-04, 14:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

Totally stupid observation....................

BUT, how come the people that are actually in these workout videos never sweat??
  #123   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-04, 17:57

Stats: 247/195/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Size-20/12/dunno!
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGal04
4bidden-I also have Susan Powter, although I have the "moving" tape. It's about 10 years old, but I love it! It has gotten too easy for me, and I recently bought The Firm, but I can't get the coreography down with those! I get so frustrated and end up doing the Susan Powter again! I've never even heard of the one you mentioned...is it a step aerobics tape? I've been to her site hoping to find a more advanced tape/dvd, but the site wasn't working when I went. If you're familiar with her work, any advice for which advanced tape to try?

I have moving, abs & oils and move it and lose it, which is the one I do now. Yes it is a step aerobics. It's pretty good, only because as you know the moves are repetitive and there is no unnecessary coreography to follow. Gets your heart pumping and really makes you feel you worked out the entire body. But, that's just my opinion. I went to her site and did not find many videos. She is selling a new yoga tape and some CDs. Maybe there is a site where they sell old videos? LOL
I will search and if I find something I will let you know.
  #124   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-04, 18:45

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerchic
Totally stupid observation....................

BUT, how come the people that are actually in these workout videos never sweat??
It is very easy. They have a good air conditioning system. Cooling and drying the air, so the sweat evaporate very fast. (Leaving behind only the salt.)

Similar way, you have never seen VISIBLE sweat on people running in high temperature for example. The liquid part of the sweat evaporate so fast. (I never have VISIBLE sweat during my summer long runs, though I DO sweat 4-6 lbs.)

You can experience with this by using a high power fan at home.

That is why sweating is a very questionable sign of effort.
  #125   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 08:18

Plan: Own
Stats: 145/114/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 124%

Thanks! I went to the site again and found the same thing. Where did you get your tapes from? I have an old copy of the moving that doesn't work anymore, so I have a dubbed tape from my mom that has parts bleeped out etc....but it still works! If I find anything, I'll keep you posted as well!
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 11:12

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I love exercise videos now - I used to be intimidated by them at first (thinking of myself doing floor exercises in front of the TV in my livingroom for some reason made me feel like a fool ) but now they're the only type of exercise that I consistently stick with (though I add other things at the gym when I'm in school and have access to the university gym). Three weeks ago when the semester started I started back on my regiment and I'm happy to say I'm sticking to it. Three times a week The Firm (Sculpted Buns, Hips, and Thighs - Tracey Long is awsome!) and three times a week Pilates for Dummies (just got the DVD version which includes the advanced as well as the beginners, but it's gonna be a while before I get to that ).

I should actually thank my university - parking for students absolutely sucks so you have to get there early to get a parking space which forces me to get up early enough to exercise in the morning (and the added bonus that the student parking lot is right next to the university gym...)

Tam
  #127   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 08:23

Plan: undecided
Stats: 130/130/145 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

can a guy use the firm videos and benefit from it? i'd like to lose my gut since i'm skinny and it looks HORRIBLE on a skinny guy.

thanks!
  #128   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 03:05

Stats: 198/198/121.2 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress: 0%

I Like Neena & Veena's Bellydance for fitness. It's fun and the time passes by so quickly. The problem is that I'm not much of a "dancing" fan. I look really silly when "working out" with this video even though I come from an arabic background.
  #129   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 06:43

Stats: 235/235/130 Female 5'6
BF:42%/37%/20%

I just bought the firm and the winsor pilates. I also bought Denise Austin and Paula Abdul get up and dance. It was $5.00 at Walmart. I just wanted to mention that I use to love Tae bo until I ended up with two very swollen knees. I ended up in the hospital unable to walk.

Make sure that if you do the video you are wearing sneakers. I thought because my house was carpeted I didn't need to. I still have troubles with my knees.

I joined Curves and it isn't that hard on my knees. Has anyone tried D.D. R. Dance Dance Revolution it's a playstation 2 game. They have a workout mode anyways I can spend hours on that and once I get on it's so much fun I don't want to stop. Just make sure that when your stepping on the arrows you don't stomp or you'll feel it in your foot the next day.

Great Topic.

Vjade

P.S. How do you add pics to entries?
  #130   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 06:47
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4k3
can a guy use the firm videos and benefit from it? i'd like to lose my gut since i'm skinny and it looks HORRIBLE on a skinny guy.

Yes, of course.
  #131   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 11:14

Plan: custom
Stats: 247/238.5/155 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noura80
I Like Neena & Veena's Bellydance for fitness. It's fun and the time passes by so quickly.

I love these too. Mostly I love DDR though....not really a video, but it is something you can do at home

Last edited by Wolfie1 : Wed, Feb-23-05 at 11:17. Reason: typo
  #132   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 13:16

Plan: count carbs
Stats: 256.5/239/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Walking video tapes

I like Leslie Sansone's walking videos. My favorite is Walk Away the Pounds - Walk and Kick.
There is also another video I really like and that is Get Moving - Walking for Weight Loss. It has intervals and is a little more intense than the Leslie Sansone videos.
Although nothing in better than a 3 mile power walk outdoors in 45 - 75 degrees weather on a sunny day. Oh Spring, get here QUICK!!!!
  #133   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 09:37
Registered Member

Stats: 175/175/120 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Default MTV the grind work-out

I'm serious. I know it's so 90s (although i'm not quite sure when those videos were made) or cheesy for some, but I actually enjoy the routines. Here are some of the plus points of the MTV the grind workout:

1. Easy to Follow - what I really hate about other exercise videos is that some require a lot of turns and changes in direction. i think it makes it more difficult because aside from having to learn the steps in a minute or two, you're also going to have to think of your orientation (or where you're headed. can't think of the proper term). The grind comes up with a solution to all that. You're not required to follow them (whether it's left, or right) and most of their routines/moves don't require you to turn away from the TV. that way, you don't get disoriented, and you don't get lost too easily.

2. Fun - it's fun because you can see that the grind dancers/aerobic instructors are also having loads of fun too. they joke around, input their own style into the routines, and tease each other in the process. moreover, the exercise itself is fun as well (even warm-up and cool-down). aside from being entertained by the show's hosts, you also enjoy because you feel like you're just dancing. it's very high energy and up-beat, and the "moves" are so modern, it doesn't even feel like exercise.

3. Practical - for people like me who don't know how to dance casually, it's quite helpful. of course, some movements/routines will be over the top if you use them in clubs (as they suggest you do hehe), and some will even be out of date, but there are simple steps/movements that you can adopt to spice up your usual dance moves (i.e. bobbing your head up and down and stepping side to side, throwing in some arm movement now and then). i'd definitely use some of the steps i've learned, if only i had the guts to do so (i'm so selfconscious i won't even go into the dancefloor. hehehe)

so there, that's about it. that's why it's my favorite. in fact, i have 2 different versions of the grind workout (1&2).

just so you know, other work-out tapes and cds i have at home are several versions of jane fonda's (my mom bought them), daisy fuentes (again, my mom) and billy blanks' tae bo crunch. i found the taebo crunch too strenuous. instead of feeling good after work-out, i just felt really tired and worked up. hehehe. hope my "review" helped. i'll be sifting through the others to see which ones i'll buy and try-out

-- Estelle (philippines)
  #134   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 10:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 194/188/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I to like "walk away the pounds" by Leslie Sansone the 3 mile walk is a good work out for me and I sweat like a farm animal lol so that has to be good!!!!! lol
  #135   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 21:21
Sweet N' Sassy

Plan: --
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'5"
BF:MUCH too much :(
Progress: 61%
Default Walk Away the Pounds All the Way!

I love the WATP dvds. I have the WATP Express 1,2,3,4 miles. WAPT for the Abs 3 mile and WATPs with the weights 3 miles. I love them! They are great. Depending on the day and the amount of time I have, I do anywhere from 3 to 12 miles! Someday I'll try the Firm videos, but for now I'm content to keep on walking! Come on girlfriends! Let's walk walk walk! SISTERS IN SWEAT!!!