Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-09, 03:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 391/382.2/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Super Morbidly Obese and need help to get started exercising

Hi all -

I have finally reached the point in my life where I am sick of all the extra
weight I am carrying around - sick of the additional problems it causes
me (I have horrible psoriasis, no doubt exacerbated by my weight, as well
as knee and back problems). I'm just sick of it.

After many stops and starts I am *finally* going back to an LC lifestyle.

My next question is exercise. What to do? Right now about all I do is to
walk about 1/3 mile to my son's bus stop each way and it KILLS me
to do it. It's not so bad in the cooler weather but I live in Florida so you
can imagine how often we get that.

We have a weight machine, but I'm too big to use it.

I weigh 420+ lbs. I say + because my scale only goes up to 420 and it
errors out when I step on it (how embarrassing is that?).

My first weight loss goal is 419lbs so that I'll at least be able to track
real numbers in my weight loss journey.

I would love to take up bike riding, but I can't afford $700 for a bike that
supports up to a 500lb person so I'll have to find other ways to lose the
weight until I can safely ride a 'normal' bicycle.

I am mostly sedentary except for my bus stop walks due to back, hip
and knee pain and floor exercises are a joke!

Any advice is desperately requested and most definitely appreciated! I would
love to see my scale read below 400 by spring if such a thing is possible.

Thanks much!

Cynthia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-09, 09:14
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

OK. Same boat - different paddles.
I find that the Richard Simmons DVD/tape of SIT TIGHT (exercises done sitting) is my best exercise as I have very limited use of my legs.
From experience I will say EMPHATICALLY that walking is your best exercise. I once, in my wiser days, lost 100+ pounds in under 4 months just by walking. I started at once around the track (1/4 mile?) at a super slow speed. And by the end of the 4th month was easily doing 5 miles in under an hour (kind of a slow jog).
I got stupid. I stopped walking. Stopped eating sanely and the rest is history up to this point.
Only you can do it...whatever the "it" in your future is! You go, Girl!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-09, 10:08

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Do you have access to a pool? Pool running (in the deep water) is a great way to train for walking/running with no impact. It's specific training so it helps directly with the muscles you need to develop better walking endurance.

You can buy a floaty belt at www.aquajogger.com. They also sell an extended size belt which gets pretty big - I had to buy one when I first started pool running. The nicest part of pool running is that because you are floating, it's very freeing for the body, too.

I wish you all the best of luck with this - getting started is the hardest part.

Janine
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 20:49
Registered Member

Plan: Slowly Becoming Zero Carb
Stats: 352/323/180 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 17%

You could maybe get one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Isokinetics-I...0845134&sr=8-19
I have one and I use it for my arms. I can really feel the muscles in my arms working!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 20:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/206/140 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

i am also a firm believer in walking, if you are free during the day, try walking to that same bus stop every 2 hours, increasing to every hour when you are able to, you will be surprised how quickly you will notice a difference
good luck on your journey to 419, i'll be looking out for you on the road to it
dolly
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 21:57
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I totally agree with the others who suggest walking....even if you just walk 10-15 minutes a day for starters.....its more than you're doing now, right?

If you've got a dog to take with you, even better!! My dogs are my walking partners.

Another thing that may help you is to get a pedometer to see just how many steps you take during an entire day....work to get up to 10,000 steps. They aren't very expensive and it can become a good challenge for you to see how well you are increasing your movement daily.

Good for you for starting!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 22:15

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Even a rocking chair will help, or rocking on a balance ball. I've been heavy and had that feeling.

Seriously, 15 minutes doing step in place or rocking on a ball will use your leg muscles, your core, your back. Doing this at that weight IS a legitimate aerobic workout. And I think it might be refreshing and not kill you. If you add hand weights that involves even more muscles moving even more weight.

I have done things like this as a baseline:

2 minutes rocking on the ball, forward and back.
2 minutes on the ball, bicep curls with 3 pounders, 2 sets of 10.
2 minutes rocking on the ball, side to side.
2 minutes on the ball, shoulder raises, 2 sets of 10.
2 minutes on the ball, forward and back again.

After that you can see how you feel the next day or two and see if it's too hard or too easy.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 01:01
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

I second the water-walking suggestion, and suggest throwing a Bean into the pot as well. The `deluxe' model is rated to `over 400 lbs'. I found it very comfortable when I was at a weight where I rarely felt at ease. I placed in in a convex position on the floor, laid across it on my tummy, and felt my vertebrae go `ahhhhhh' as they stretched out. PJ used one for awhile until her cats used it for claw-sharpening practice, and really liked it.

You'll feel better when you start moving regularly, but it *is* possible to take off weight successfully without a regular exercise program when you're LC'ing. Not necessarily recommended--just saying don't let this be a deal-breaker, okay?

The `10%' figure seems to have some merit to it--that we can all seem to take off the first 10% pretty easily. One value of exercise is that with the right sort, we maintain muscle, which burns fat. Suggest that you check out PJ (rightnow)'s journal/blog, as she writes quite a bit about the challenges/merits of exercising at larger sizes.

Wishing you the best of luck. You really can change your life, it really can get better. Your son will be so happy for you. Best to you.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 15:52
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

How long have you been doing LC? I'd hold off on the exercise (or at least keep it to easy walking, if such a thing is possible at your weight) until you are fully adapted to the diet. Once you've adapted, small, infrequent doses of high-intensity training will give you the best metabolic bang for your time.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-17-09, 12:49

Plan: LC
Stats: 205/205/130 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just got a DVD called leslie sansone walk at home, I started with the easiest one and it is good for me because I have MS and don't walk good and have poor balance, so I can hold on to something while doing a lot of it. Hope this helps.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-18-09, 13:54

Plan: PaNu (lacto-paleo) & VLC
Stats: 267/235.2/195 Male 71 inches
BF:40/35/20
Progress: 44%

If its killing you to walk a 1/3 of a mile, then please don't listen to the advice to walk more - although you probably wouldn't anyway. If you think that exercise helps with weight loss, well it doesn't. Exercise does provide some health benefits - but at your weight you should be very careful not to overdo it (or do it at all). The only thing you might consider is a little activity at the pool.

The good news is that by doing Atkins you should be able to lose a good amount of fat/weight without being hungry. Make sure to eat a good amount of protein and plenty of fat. Once the weight starts coming off, you will feel more energetic. When that 1/3 of a mile seems easy, then consider walking further. This could take a few months.

Reread Atkins to make sure you understand it completely and feel free to ask plenty of questions here.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-09, 07:22

Plan: Vegetaian Low Carb
Stats: 318/294.6/115 Female 64
BF:Over 65%
Progress: 12%

I have Leslie Sansone's videos. I used to use them every day. I stopped unfortunately, but I'm going back to them. What helped for me (I was over 300lbs, still am *cries*) was to time it. The first week was to make it to 5 minutes of the warm up, then through the entire warm up. Then the warmup and 3 minutes of the workout slowly adding minutes each week. I also did this work out in front of a chair so that I could sit down immediately. I have back problems and some days it just wasn't possible to do my 'goal' but I did do as much as I could stand even if it was just a minute.

Please don't give up and the pool idea is great! I wish I had one available!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 10:51

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

This will be my first post (after my intro)!

I have found that a nice dog walk every morning is good for both the dog's disposition and mine.

I don't walk all that far (just over a mile) and not that fast (maybe 35 minutes) most of the time, although sometimes I stretch it to just over 2 miles in an hour or so.

I got a new cell phone on black Friday weekend that has a pedometer on it, and normally it claims the just over a mile walk is 3200-3600 steps. One day i will count them myself and see how accurate it is.

I have been down this road a few times, and I can say that trying to change my diet without at least some exercise is futile for me. I am not sure if it is the exercise itself, or just getting up and moving around that helps, but it makes a big difference to me.

I have had good success in losing weight on LC in the past as long as I stuck to walking. Once I got lazy and stopped walking, I had a hard time sticking to the LC diet.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 12:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 290/269/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

I'm always a big one on music. If you have one, use your iPod while walking. And get a bit of up-beat music (whichever kind you like) ... you may not realize how far you've walked! (Just don't walk too far so that it's hard to get back home!!!!)

I joined Planet Fitness last week and have just used the treadmill so far, walking about 2 miles on it each day that I'm there. I downloaded a bunch of Playing for Change songs--they took old songs and have transformed them using street musicians -- awesome to walk to!! Just the right beat for stepping, a lot of reggae, soul, foreign, etc.

I have been walking 40 min on the treadmill, for the most part, which basically gets through the end of my playlist. If you put on music, try walking to one or two songs. Then build up to three or four songs and see how that feels.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-10, 22:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/214/165 Female 5'6 in
BF:
Progress: 2%

I agree about the music shandarose. It really makes any time spent exercising go by really quickly. I really liked the first Twilight soundtrack. It's not music I ever listen to, in fact, I still doen't know any of the bands on it even though I like the music well enough. The point it that the music is really upbeat and motivating. Anytime Supermassive Black Hole comes on, I walk faster.

Good luck with your exercising Fluffy, just remember nothing happens overnight. My sister is also morbidly obese and used to hate doing anything with me since I try to add as many steps into my day as possible by parking further away and stuff and she wou always complain about walking anywhere for any reason. The she began slowly building up her exercise mostly through walking and getting a personal trainer and when we all went to the state fair in October, she not only kept up with me but, I ended up the tired one who wanted to sit down.