Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 18:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/230/180 Male 70"
BF:
Progress:
Default Starting Again...but own a pizzera....aaarrrggghh

Hey Guys....

I did the diet some ten years ago with great success....since then I left corp america and now own pizzerias....the worst for this diet. As such, I have gain 40 pounds since owning this biz and need to take it off.

Now...add to this I now have kids...one of which has severe allergies, both airborne and edible, to eggs and nuts....some of the major components to the program.

With this....I am looking for someone else who might work in the foodservice biz that needs to used foods available at the restaurant...and an alternative to eggs and nuts as meal replacements.

Any help would be appreciated so that I can get back to where I once was.

TIA,

Steve...one of those evil carb pushing business owners.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 19:50

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hey Steve!

Glad you came back!

I don't know if I have any insights for you regarding your questions, but I just wanted to say HEY! It's a pizzaman that won't look at you funny if you order a whole large pizza (for 1 person, that is) WITHOUT the crust! YEA!

As for the no eggs, no nuts, it does make it more challenging. Do you feel "safe" using items that may CONTAIN eggs - like mayo? I know, generally, the answer is NO (understandably!)...but it is good to remind those you are asking that it's not just about eggs and nuts, but about everything that MAY CONTAIN eggs and nuts (which REALLY can limit things!).
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 06:03

BF:
Progress:

no problems with egg ingredients....but to cook eggs, or have nuts in the house causes a rash around his mouth....so sure I can use products with eggs, or some nuts in it.

Thanks
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 07:18

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

As long as you don't eat the crust, pizza is not very high in carbs. Add extra meats and enjoy.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 12:43
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I couldn't do this without eggs, so don't envy you... but I know of those who do this without eggs.

They make frozen microwaveable omelets that are pretty good- you could keep them in the freezer at work and fix one in the microwave for lunch.

Or have a little baking dish on hand to put meet, cheese, and a little sauce in the pizza oven..

And, there's always salad. I assume you have salads at the restaurant? With handfuls of pepperoni and cheese in them, they're really good, not a deprivation at all.

Good luck to you!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 13:24

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

I know I have gotten to the point of looking an egg in the eye with a little contempt. As it is, I'm not very hungry in the mornings, and the thought of steak or a chicken breast in the morning doesn't make me any happier.
BUT...I have found chicken salad to be QUITE NICE in the mornings! That's why I asked about egg-containing items. Need mayo. :-)

You do have to break out of the "mold" of the mindset that you can have either only cereal, bagel, or eggs for breakfast. I"d still say 90% of the time, my breakfast is 3 eggs and bacon. (coffee, of course, too). But I could see getting into cold tuna or chicken salads for the morning as well.

Lunches for me either consist of
nitrate/ite-free ham or turkey with mayo and slice cheese...enough to get about 25 to 27 grams of protein in.
Lettuce and tomato if I feel like it.
OR...just leftovers from dinner a couple nights ago (I cook extra on purpose to do this).

Snacks (my new-found favorite) is guacomole (either store-made with no added sugars, or just mushed up avocado) with porkrinds.

I'm not saying it's easy.
But I definitely think you can do it!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 19:56

Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

I used to work in the food industry when I first was low carbing. I only worked three days a week, but it could be challenging to not snack on carbs all day. I snacked on meat and cheese and veggies and managed to get to a great healthy weight.

My fiance does not eat nuts so I don't cook with them. I keep some in the office for snacking, but with alergies I would not even do that because you could accidentally transfer them to someone. You can do this WOE with no nuts easily.

As for eggs, After the first three months on low carb I could easily do without. It takes me several weeks to use a dozen and I mostly cook them for D. I often eat just meat and occasionally fruit for breakfast. Sometimes I have a whey protein shake with berries.

Honestly, you will not be making many LC desserts without nuts or eggs, but there are plenty of things you can eat.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 06:29

BF:
Progress:

thanks guys...as for the guacamole...that is one snack that my son can eat and eats alot of.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 11:20
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey Steve - welcome back! I have to say, you're in a challenging place but you have to figure, if you can reset things successfully and find a way to LC while at a pizza joint, then you're set for life!

Looks like some great suggestions already. The no egg thing is tricky, though I was going to ask if you could make use of them at the pizzeria but just not at home? I immediately thought of creating the whole LC deep dish pizza quiche at work...using all those great toppings? Also too, it looks like cheese is an option for you and although sometimes that's a staller, I'd try making good use of it and see how you fare. When you have a second, take a look under General Low Carb at our "High Fat" thread ("Any high fatters out there?"). That can help satiate and give you energy while you mix and match allowable proteins. I have made good use of avocado, cream and cream cheese. (I use eggs and nuts/nut butters too, but I know for at home that's off limits for you.) Good luck!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 21:57

BF:
Progress:

ok...egg beaters is not bothering him....is there a place out there that will create meal plans based on what I have around me.

Egg beaters
pizza cheese
pepperoni
sausage topping
corned beef
roast beef
salami
capicola
provolone
ricotta cheese
chicken breast

My time to research is limited while trying to run three locations and now realizing that I gained more weight and inches that I could ever imagine.

180 to 230 in 4 years of ownership.

TIA
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 14:43
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Why not try googling different combinations of these along with the word "recipe"...you can even use key words like "crock pot" or "baked" and other such things to hone in on types of recipes you'd do. I think Cooks.com comes up with many things. Oh and try using the keywords "low carb" too. As long as you put in the right search parameters, you'll be golden and get easy suggestions right away.

The first thing that comes to mind with egg beaters and all the rest you mentioned was some killer quiches...but I think we already discussed that. Good luck!