Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 11:30

Plan: common sense low-carb
Stats: 150/155/140 Male 167 cm
BF:
Progress: -50%
Default Can too much protein lead to sore and inflamed joints?

Can too much protein lead to sore and inflamed joints? I'm recently having pain in my knees. Maybe due to too much protein intake? My daily ingestion of protein is around 120 grams (I weigh about 68 kgs/150 pounds with about 15% fat). Anybody have experience with this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 23:24

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

I did a web search, and I didn't see anything. Myself, when my joints feel inflamed, I take calcium. I also walk. Not strenuously, just "gently" walk. I have also found it helps edema. (I have two herniated disks)

You could double check with PPLP. If you don't have the book, I'll check mine for you. And use either MY P.L.A.N. or FitDay.com.

I have a friend who has three herniated disks. He swears that when he loses a certain amount of weight that his back gets worse, not better.. So, perhaps it's a transitional thing? I'll check my book for you.

ETA: I'm reading your post again. I really don't think that's too much protein. Are you exercising? I have knee issues myself. (Horse kicked me) I have found that gentle walking on FLAT surface is helpful. I can currently do hills, but I did have several months that I had to do flat work.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 23:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus
Can too much protein lead to sore and inflamed joints? I'm recently having pain in my knees. Maybe due to too much protein intake? My daily ingestion of protein is around 120 grams (I weigh about 68 kgs/150 pounds with about 15% fat). Anybody have experience with this?

You could be sensitive to arachidonic acid (AA).
This is from the old Protein Power site (not sure if the link still works):
Quote:
Can I really eat all the red meat and egg yolks I want?

Most people can. However, there are a few concerns to keep in mind. First, you can't do the Protein Power Plan halfway. You can't increase your protein foods haphazardly and continue to eat carbohydrates as you do now and expect to see results. In fact, you'll be worsening your problems if you do so.

Second, there are some people who may have problems with large amounts of red meat and large quantities of egg yolks. These people: have elevated blood pressure and/or cholesterol, retain abnormally high amounts of fluid, and/or suffer from inflammatory conditions such as skin rashes, asthma, allergies, bursitis, or arthritis.

It's not the cholesterol in red meat and egg yolks that is the problem. It's the fact that they are high in arachidonic acid, which can promote or worsen the above conditions.

Here is the strategy for these folks to follow: Eliminate red meat and egg yolks from your diet completely for three weeks. At the end of the three-week period, take stock of your health. Has it improved? Eat a large portion of red meat and eggs for a couple of meals and observe what happens. If your problems reappear of get worse, you are sensitive to arachidonic acid and should have these foods only once in a while. When you do have them, make sure to remove as much of the fat from the beef as possible. Grill the beef. This will reduce the arachidonic acid by as much as 35%. Another option is to marinate the meat in a combination of red wine and olive oil or light sesame oil for 24 hours before grilling.

As far as eggs are concerned, have no more than one or two whole eggs at a sitting, and eat egg whites the rest of the time. Also, you should avoid margarine altogether (as everyone should).
http://eatprotein.com/faq/effects.html#meatandeggs

Adding 1 to 2 fish oil capsules 3 times day may also help.

Rosebud