Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 07:35

Plan: My Own
Stats: 200/180/175 Male 5'11.5"
BF:sz36/sz31/sz30
Progress: 80%
Default Does this sounds lieka good beginer work out

Okay I shoot for 5 days a week, but since I do this on my lunch break I prbly average more like 3-4 due to interruptions from meetings and etc. I do the same basic schedule every trip. Needs to fit in about one hour.

1) Warm up - 1/8th mile on treadmill at 4.5 mph (fast walk for me)
2) basic stretches (maintenance level mainly to prevent injury)
3) 20 to 25 mins on Elliptical ~ "level 12", holding around 65-75 rpms and HR of 140+ - do not use the arm part- primary goal is exercise heart muscle since I have a damaged ticker.

4) head to room with weight machines. Order that I do thes varies depending on who is in room using what but I try to get to them all..

a) 1 set 10 pullups , 1 set 10 chipups , 1 set 10 dips on the machine that assist with counter weights this exercise. Presently using 70 pounds of counter weight and barely making it through all 10 of each set.

b) 3 sets of 10 on the machine where you do stomach curls... I am pushing the upper limit (250lbs) on the machine now, probably need increase sets or reps?

c) 3 sets of 10 on the machine where you push the bar backwards with your back. Exercises lower back. I suffer from lower back pain and I am hoping that muscle strength will help.

d) 2 sets of 10 per side on the machine where you twist against the weight. Only does one side at a time. Struggle to complete this at 100 pounds.

I take like 30 to 60 seconds break between sets. I am only in my second month of weight training, but been doing the aerobic for a couple of years at home on the treadmill.

Thinking of adding 2 or 3 leg machines - just enough to cover all the muscle groups based on the pictures on the machines.

GOAL: To increase over all strength and tone up. NOT interested being a body builder. Also to keep heart health up.

Any thoughts? This any good? Bad?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 11:52

OPS: I forgot to mention the 1/8th mile on the treadmill at 3.5 mph cool down between the elliptical and the weights.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 04:14
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

It's fine for a beginner workout, although you could improve it. Just depends on you--free weights are generally superior to machines for many different reasons, but you can still get a good workout with machines. Your goal when you weight train is to try and beat your personal best with every exercise--try to increase weight or reps or sets every time (you won't always get it, but that's ok).

I would suggest giving yourself a target of something like 2 to 3 sets of each machine, aiming for 8-12 reps. When you can get all 2 or 3 sets with 12 reps, increase the weight so that now you can only get 8 reps. Work your way back up.

Best to try and do cardio AFTER weights--you want to be able to hit the weights with your best intensity. A short dynamic stretching warmup is all you need prior-here's an example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk05msJu5ec

I would also suggest that you be mindful of the exercise order--best to do the exercises that hit the bigger muscles first, since they won't tire out as quickly as the smaller muscles.

So, do your leg work first, then back, chest, shoulders, biceps/triceps/abs/calves and then lower back work (the back extension machine you mentioned) last.

You really need to give your muscles a chance to recover--lifting the same stuff back to back will not allow for this. A better plan for you would be to do the weight training (followed by 10-30 minutes of steady state cardio, if desired) on alternate days, so like Mon., Wed., Friday. On Tues and Thurs, you can do just cardio--20-45 min would be ok. On Sat. you could do some "active rest", like yardwork, walking, etc., and then Sun. should be a complete rest day. (you could switch Sat. and Sun.)

Back to the machines--eventually you will outgrow them, and then free weights will be your friend.

Quote:
GOAL: To increase over all strength and tone up. NOT interested being a body builder. Also to keep heart health up.
Just like women, you won't "suddenly" bulk up and get all muscular by lifting--it also takes eating at a surplus to put on significant muscle. You will experience some recompositioning--swapping some fat for some muscle, so you'll look tighter, more defined, and you'll feel great, in addition to being stronger. Both resistance training and cardio are great for your heart.

HTH!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 05:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
Your goal when you weight train is to try and beat your personal best with every exercise--try to increase weight or reps or sets every time (you won't always get it, but that's ok).

I would suggest giving yourself a target of something like 2 to 3 sets of each machine, aiming for 8-12 reps. When you can get all 2 or 3 sets with 12 reps, increase the weight so that now you can only get 8 reps. Work your way back up.

Is that 8 on each set when starting a new weight, or 8 on the last set? Right now I assume if I can do more then 10 on the last set, then I need bump weight next time.

Quote:
I would also suggest that you be mindful of the exercise order--best to do the exercises that hit the bigger muscles first, since they won't tire out as quickly as the smaller muscles.

So, do your leg work first, then back, chest, shoulders, biceps/triceps/abs/calves and then lower back work (the back extension machine you mentioned) last.

Well right now order is determined by the machines in use. We only have 1 of each machine.

Quote:
to the machines--eventually you will outgrow them, and then free weights will be your friend.

I like the machines because I know what I am doing. But I am already at the max on the ab machine, almost there on the back machine. I have no partner so that means no spotter, or anyone to help me with form on the free weights. Also do not have much of a clue on what to do with them.

I was poking around and come across the term "Full Body Compound Workout". Sounds like you do a handful of exercises with weights (deadlift, Squat, etc) that cover all the muscle groups. Any idea where I can find good information on how to do this ? Assuming I understand the term that is.

Thanks!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 06:47
muscle bound

Quote:
Is that 8 on each set when starting a new weight, or 8 on the last set? Right now I assume if I can do more then 10 on the last set, then I need bump weight next time.
Yes, if your target rep range is 8-10, then when you bump a weight up, you want to be able to get at least 8 reps for the first set. If you can't, then it's too heavy. If you can, then try for at least 8 reps for the 2nd or 3rd sets--doesn't matter if you hit them (though try really hard). Next session, try to get 9 or 10 reps for that first set, and whatever you can for the other 2. Once you can hit 10 reps for all 3 sets, time to bump weight again.

Quote:
Well right now order is determined by the machines in use. We only have 1 of each machine.
Yup, I know what you mean. Makes me really appreciate my home gym,

That's ok--try to do leg work, chest and back at least before doing arms. You don't have to rush between exercises--it's not cardio--altho I can appreciate you don't want to stand around all day waiting, either!

Quote:
I like the machines because I know what I am doing. But I am already at the max on the ab machine, almost there on the back machine. I have no partner so that means no spotter, or anyone to help me with form on the free weights. Also do not have much of a clue on what to do with them.
Most lifters actually don't use a spotter, until they get into the freaky high weights. You can usually tell if you're going to be able to get that last rep or not, and so you stop just prior to that. You should try not to lift to failure--best to leave it with one rep left in the tank, so to speak,

As for form, there are some great websites that have pix and vid to help teach form and learn exercises--I learned that way. It helps if you can have someone experienced show you, and check your form. I had some one do that for me after about a year of my lifting, and I was pleased to hear I have good form. It's really a matter of learning the exercises, and practicing them mindfully. Maybe you can ask at the gym front desk? Usually there are some knowledgeable employees to help.

I posted a beginner's full body free weight routine here
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=367570
which is great for both male and female beginners. I started my husband with this program, and he progressed from using dumbbells to using the barbell for most lifts.

The above routine gets you started with a version of squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, row, chin-up (modified), and ab /calf work.

There are also some good info links posted there.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 09:25

Hmm that is a lot to dig through. I am slowly warming up to the idea of braving the room with all the serious ppl in it and the weights... might even try m/w/f - weights , t/th cardio...... Only problem is that a few days a week could get missed, do you stick with the same pattern regardless of missed days? IE if I missed a Wednesday, do I still do cardio on thurs?

I wonder if we could distill that massive post a bit... I'll reply over there and attempt to.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 13:03
muscle bound

Replied to your post there, Vincent--you're getting the idea.

Basically you want to try and work your body 2 to 3 times a week with weights. If you only make it 2 times a week one week, and 3 the next, no problem. It's best not to make a habit of daily lifting (for recovery as I mentioned earlier), but if you occasionally have a back to back session, you will not die. It's just not a great idea, and you'll eventually find it harder to recovery, possibly leading to burnout, fatigue, injury.

Cardio you can do every day, as long as it's light to moderate intensity, and no longer than about 45 min (60 is really pushing it, and the benefits not really worth the extra time). If you decide to try some interval cardio, you'll want to alternate that. That type of cardio, being more strenuous, should only be done a few times a week.