Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 14:32

Plan: keto <50 net carbs
Stats: 183/163/140 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 47%
Question Science Behind Food Combining

Hi Everyone,

I am not new to food combining, low carbing, or any other/EVERY other "diet" out there. The food combing diet appeals to me on a purely health-basis level, getting us back to how we were naturally supposed to digest foods. It makes sense, that different types of food require different solutions to be digested in. I do know that a lot of people also use this method to loose weight. I am not denying it works, it is working for me, however...

I was wondering if anybody knew the science behind WHY it is causing us to lose weight. I'm not complaining or anything, I just like to know the logical reasons for why things happen. If anybody could point me in the direction of an article, or just give me your opinions, that would be great!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-05, 22:15

Plan: between plans again
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi K8ty

I don't know if this will help but this is the way that I understand things after trying to combine two programs about food combining. (Suzanne Somers and Fit For Life)

Susanne Somers can really explain this well in her books. I find her to be an intelligent woman even though the "packaging" would suggest otherwise. My simple version of her plan goes like this:
Carby (I may have just made up that word!) foods will cause an insulin spike. Insulin is a hormone that stores fat. If that particular carb meal contains no fat then there is no storage. Similarly when a fatty/protein meal is consumed without any carbs (ie pasta, bread, rice, potatoes) then, again the fat storage is not an issue because there is no big insulin spike.

The Fit for Life Plan speaks of "Natural Hygiene". The idea is that the stomach digests different foods differently. Some foods require an alkaline environment (fruits,starches) and some require acid (animal products). Veggies will digest in either environment. When you improperly combine these foods (ie a cheese sandwich, or pasta with meat sauce) the stomach releases juices for both acid and alkaline digestion and they impede one another, slowing the whole process and putrefying the food. Causes gas, build-up of sludge in the GI tract, poor absorption of nutrients in the food, poor functioning of virtually all systems of the body.

Fruits and veggies are considered "high water content" foods in FFL, and everything else is considered a "concentrated" food. The more concentrated foods that we ask our bodies to digest at a time, the more sluggish we feel (ie xmas dinner...race to the couch!) because of all of the energy that is required by our bodies to deal with this mess of slop.

Now I don't know if that is a very scientific explanation, but I will tell you this: In the last 15years I have never felt so good as when I was able to discipline myself to follow the FFL plan. There was energy that came out of nowhere, the weight was falling off, and those two things were nothing in comparison to a feeling that I can only describe as "clear". It was magical. I want it back. I am in the process of re-vamping eating plan right now to see if I can find it again!

I don't know anything about any other food combining plans and what their theories are. What plan do you follow? Perhaps there are many different schools of thought for separating the things that we eat?

Anyhow, I wish you luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 13:27

BF:

Thanks, I actually have heard that somewhere before but I guess I forgot.

I'm not following any specific diet exactly, I'm just combining the most logical points out of all the different types of diets I like. I really like the science and logic behind the paleo diet so I'm trying to incorperate as many natural foods as possible. I also read in multiple places that fruit is best digested on an empty stomach. Here's what a typical day looks like:

As much fruit as I want until noon or 12:30
Oatmeal/Brown Rice/Wheat tortilla at 4:00
Eggs, cheese, nuts at 8:00
glass of milk before bed

I don't do much cooking, and it's just for me when i do so I don't worry about any other people, plus I'm a vegetarian so I don't do any chicken or salmon or anything. I do snack on celery or other veggies/salads throughout the day. I'm pretty much a science nerd so it something makes logical sense on that level I'll try it. And so far I'm really pleased with how I'm doing with this.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 16:30

BF:

Ah yes! Fruit always eaten raw, and alone on an empty stomach...both of "my" plans speak of this and I think that it's a great idea! I do the same fruit 'till noon thing as you do. It feels wonderful.

I should look into the paleo diet just for kicks. Why not throw another plan into the mix of about 40 others that I have read/tried over the years!

Take care
Good health vibes headin' yer way sister!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 16:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/231/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Fit for Life was the best food combining book I've ever read. It gives you all the science and the easiest to follow instructions. This worked really well for me untill I lost the ability to eat carbs without major cravings afterwards.

Good luck
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 16:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrier
This worked really well for me untill I lost the ability to eat carbs without major cravings afterwards.

Good luck

Would the Fit For Life fellow have an explanation for this? Insulin resistance? Do you believe (as Dr Schwarzbein or Suzanne Somers and the like do) that perhaps insulin resistance can be "cured with the right diet? Just askin...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 21:57

BF:

karrier-what kind of carbs are causing these cravings? I bet it's that refined stuff like white breads, pastas, and rice. Try having one serving of oatmeal with one serving of brown sugar. Even if you do have cravings, you'll be way to full to act because of all the fiber. Whenever I have carb cravings I just go to oatmeal with some vanilla extract and a bit of brown sugar. Works just great.

Another reason I've heard this diet works, but I'm not sure I believe, is that (this part I believe): eating carbs releases insulin; fat cannot be stored without insulin; eating fat and carbs separately will cause your body never to store food as fat.

(here's the part i wonder about): why then is it proteins and carbs that are separated and not fat and carbs? Also, shouldn't we still need a net calorie defecit in order to lose weight? I dunno, I guess I don't really believe this really works, despite seeing it work on myself, until I get a logical explenation out of it.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 22:03

BF:

Suzanne Somers' plan separates proteins and fats from carbs. I have added this twist to the Fit for Life plan since it makes sense to me for exactly the same inconsistency that you pointed out.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 06:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/231/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Try having one serving of oatmeal with one serving of brown sugar. Even if you do have cravings, you'll be way to full to act because of all the fiber.

Oatmeal is one of my worst craving foods. It is also one food I fall back to for comfort. Not good.
Carbs are too hard for me to take in almost any shape other then veggie.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 23:58

BF:

Thanks for your opinions. I'm starting to piece together the reasoning but I may have to just accept the fact that I can never know everything. Well, I let you guys know what my plan looks like, could you guys let me know how yours differs and the similarities? Just trying to find what may work best for me, so I'd like some opinions.

Also, how fast have you lost the weight? Speed is not my #1 goal, just curious. I lost almost 10 lbs in a couple weeks earlier this summer, then stopped eating all together because of injury + pain pills + sleepiness. However I have not lost nearly as much this time around. Not complaining, I feel great, again just curious. Thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 07:34

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

k8ty, 10lbs in 2 weeks is great....ive been on this for one week and half and lost but didnt weigh myself yet...this weekend is my son's bday and he wants a this chocolate cake they do at this pastry shop that has maybe 200% full fat and sugars...im doomed...lol...then next the following weekend is my sisters 50th bday and its a big resturant dancing and all italian style..so double doomed there..i better get my dancing shoes on to burn all of that off...
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 02:25

Plan: food comb/atkins influenc
Stats: 185/161/140 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi Karrier

Hope this helps. I read that if we are IR that we have excess glucose stored in our fat reserves. Until you get the sugar out of your system you are still suseptible to the side affects of IR such as sugar cravings brought on by excess insulin.

I know for myself even if I have a little bit of anything with a high GI value you can expect me to crave. Fat helps with cravings so I just stick to the pro/fats and vegies and take it one day at a time.