Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 07:47
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default 220 - age = Target Heart rate or Maximum Heart rate?

When working out on the elliptical my heart rate will range from 187-200 usually somewhere around 196.

I heard or read somewhere that to get your heart rate it should be 220-age

but I cant remember if that was the heart rate that I wanted to get to and maintain or exceed or if that is the maximum and I shouldnt go higher than that or something bad will happen?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 10:10
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

GIYF

That's the maximum, but have a look at this:- http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1973.html
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 13:35

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Maxing out

There are several calculations for Training Heart Rate (THR). The majority of them start out at 220-your age = maximum heart rate. Most experts indicate that your THR should be 60-85% of your max heart rate. Which I'm guessing puts you about 165-170. I'm not sure it's a good idea to be pushing yourself to the max. Athletes train up into the 85-90% zone, but unless your training for a 100 yard dash, or some extreme sport, I'd consult an expert before going much higher.

Regards,
Lux
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 13:52
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

I am not trying to really push myself that high. Its just that my heartrate goes very high on the elliptical. It takes about 10 minutes to hit about 180 and then it goes up from there.

I do level 7 random for 45 minutes at around 66-72 rpm
even when I do a lower level like 5 my heartrate goes up like that. Its intense for me, but I dont feel its too intense like I am gonna die or anything. I always see people near me whizzing by at 80+ rpm at like level 20.

I dont feel sick or anything when I am on it, though sometimes I used to feel a cramp on my right side, but nothing bad. Also my toes used to get numb, but I changed shoes and that doesnt happen anymore.

I dont really know how to get my heartrate down and still feel like I am accomplishing something. I am not in the best shape in the world and it just seems to always shoot up very high. My face is also very red when I get off and I am drenched with sweat but I feel really great after!

I can still speak fine and see clearly while exercising. When I get off I am dizzy but that goes away as soon as I drink and relax a few minutes.

I have been doing the elliptical since I was 250 lbs.

I dont want to hurt myself or anything?

Is it possible that 60-85% for me IS that high?

The link said that the formula isnt very accurate. Could it be that in certain individuals its just different?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 14:21

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Formula's

I think one of the links said that the recommendations were +- 7-12 beats per minute. Everyone is different. I prefer Elipticals as well, very low impact. My favorite is a Precor EFX 546, it does not have swinging arm bars like some but the elevation and the resistance is adjustable. Also I wear a heart rate monitor that reads out on the Precor machine. At 60-65% your should be able to talk and have a conversation, 70-75% you should get out a few words, at 80-85% talking is nearly impossible. I'd make sure first your heart rate reading is accurate, you can do this by measuring your own pulse rate on the side of your neck or wrist. Count the beats that occur in 6 seconds, and multipy by 10.

I would not be worried about how fast other people are going, I see a guy at the gym who spins the Precor at about 210 rpm, if I did that for more than a couple minutes I'd be on the floor. If your monitor is right, even though your young I don't see much benefit in going above 180-185. That's 90-95% and that's pretty high.

Regards,
Lux
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 14:35
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Quote:
70-75% you should get out a few words

That sounds about right for me. I cant have a full conversation, but I can still speak between breathing.

The swingy arm thingys have those metal things that I hold on to and it tells me my heartrate. Thats what I go by.

Are those things usually inaccurate?

I can go buy one if it would help. Where do you put them so you can read what it says while working out?

Quote:
I see a guy at the gym who spins the Precor at about 210 rpm, if I did that for more than a couple minutes I'd be on the floor.

OMG!!! If thats like a normal elliptical machine I would die. The fastest I EVER pushed myself to was just over 100 which lasted all of about 2 seconds! The rush as it slowed down was kinda cool since it stayed in the 80s for a while.

I take CDs with me that I made of exercise music to keep me going. Every once in a while I will hear a really great song and it will pump me up and I will go faster to the beat but that usually means like 73-83 for a couple of minutes before I slow back down again. I cant imagine anything more than that. At least not yet. Maybe after the summer or something I can work to getting that high. When I started I was doing around 45-55 so I am slowly working my way up.

I goof around but I make little challenges with myself while I am on there to keep trying to slightly beat my personal best in distance or calories or something. Even one calorie more (not sure how accurate they are anyway but fun to look at) and I feel like Ive accomplished something great and then I do it the next time and the same when I increase levels too. It starts over and I need a new personal best for that level in distance and calorically. I guess I am strange. lol

done rambling now.

Thanks for all the great advice!

MJ