Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default How much can woman bench press?

I've looked around the web a bit to find out what a good weight for a woman to bench press is. I don't know any female weight lifters and wondered if you all could tell me if I'm doing good, so so, or badly? I know it doesn't matter all that much, but I would like to make sure I'm at least at an average strength for a woman. My husband and I weight train 4x a week (alternating days) and for various exercises (sorry I'm not good with the names for each one) I lift between 30-100 lbs. My max 3 lift bench press is 180lb. Is that decent? Ok....go ahead and slaughter me with the comments......

(thanks)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 18:50

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

I thought this was one of those "how much wood would a woodchuck chuck?" questions.
You sound like you're doing great. I train with weights, but it's much more wimpy than what you're doing.
I think it all depends on how long you've been training, how old you are, your general health, etc.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 05:06

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

180 lbs. is great!

As far as I am concerned, outside of powerlifting, anything higher than 95 lbs. for a woman is well above average ... just from what I have observed.

I have trained (and dated) some pretty athletic women, and I think the heaviest I saw was 135 lbs. for 3 reps.

Again, these were not powerlifters ... just fit/athletic women.

Your 3 rep max is 180? That's great.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 05:26

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:

180....yea, that's good! I played basketball in college and the highest I have ever seen anyone lift was almost 200 but that girl was ripped!!!! Personally, when I was b-pressing, the highest for me was 135.

Keep up the GREAT work!
L
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 05:29

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I recently strted with bench pressing and all the lovely weights... I am nowhere near 180, I think that is awesome!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 11:29

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Yep, be proud of yourself hon. Yer kickin' my arse on bench.

Cheers,

Friday
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 12:39
Registered Member

BF:

Wow, thanks guys....I had no idea! I'm definately going to keep doing it. I feel so much better since I've started this.....now if I can just enjoy cardio more! lol
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 14:55

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

WOOOOW!

I can only do 175lbs (45lb bar + 2X45lb plates + 4X10lb plates) 6reps (don't know about my 3rep)

is that on the barbell bench, smith machine, chest/tri bench machine?

180lbs is impressive! how long have you been training?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 15:11
Registered Member

BF:

It's on a nautilus type machine. My husband just mentioned that it would be a bit less as there is a difference between that and free weights. From what I've seen on the web, I guess it's about 16%, which would put me more around 150. Don't have access to the free weights to see if I'm correct. Maybe you guys can give me a better guess.

I haven't really been training long. Kinda suprised myself too. My husband has worked out for years with the military, and he can only bench 30lb more than me. I was able to beat the guys in my brother division doing pushups while I was in the Navy too. I've always been a very muscular woman. I weighed 165lbs and wore a size 5 coming out of boot camp. My nick name in high school and college was "Arnold" (Schwarzinager). I always thought my testosterone levels must be high....but they really aren't. Not sure why I'm this way...just am. The only thing that seems to plague me is the fat that covers the muscles....still working on that part .
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 15:17

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

You'll have no problem losing the fat that covers the muscles and since you have the muscle, you'll look more toned sooner probably have to add in some HIIT, cutting diet and you're all set goodluck!

Are you talking about the bowflex? I want one!!! even 150lbs on freeweights is amazing! took me 7months to reach that weight
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 15:33
Registered Member

BF:

It's a generic bowflex (just too expensive, ya know). I've started Ckd, but the two day carb up was too much for me. I went back to no carb up....but I'm getting way too tired, way too fast. So I'm going to do a 24 hour one this weekend.

Cardio....well I've been doing it, but I must say that it takes much more motivation to get me in there to do it. I would just much rather lift. I've been doing my treadmill 5 days a week...but it's torture

I'm just losing so slowly.....I know I'm building muscle....but just like every woman....I want to see that scale go down too!

Tonights my night for weights! I'm looking forward to it....actually wish I could do it more often....but I know I need to rest.

Take care everyone!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 12:39

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Daaannnggg girl!! Wanna be my bodyguard?? LOL! I started doing weight training a few weeks ago and I thought I had a pretty muscluar upper body. I am a nursing assistant so I do a lot of lifting with my thighs and biceps. When I did the chest press I about killed myself! Just the straight out push with the machine. Cybex machine I think? I can do about 85lbs for 10-12 reps. No clue what I could do for only 3 reps. Probably not much more! Anyhow, I can't imagine doubling that! I think my muscles would laugh at me then peter right out. LOL! Awesome job, you're waaaaaaay ahead of most of us!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 12:45
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue

That is some serious weight. My top bench is merely 116 lbs and I thought I was doing well.

Go girl!