Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-18, 18:07

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 220/188/170 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Yes, bacon really is killing us

An article from The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...trites-sausages

Say it ain't so
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-18, 19:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Just for reference ... the 2015 media report mentioned in this article was discussed here .. Bacon, ham and sausages 'as big a cancer threat as smoking', WHO to warns
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-18, 19:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I'll see that article and raise it with this one:

Quote:
The Nitrate and Nitrite Myth: Another Reason Not To Fear Bacon

In fact, the study that originally connected nitrates with cancer risk and caused the scare in the first place has since been discredited after being subjected to a peer review. There have been major reviews of the scientific literature that found no link between nitrates or nitrites and human cancers, or even evidence to suggest that they may be carcinogenic. Further, recent research suggests that nitrates and nitrites may not only be harmless, they may be beneficial, especially for immunity and heart health. Confused yet? Let’s explore this issue further.

More bacon for ME
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-18, 19:19

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

I've never really taken seriously organic, non-gmo, grass fed, hormone free, cage free, etc., but as I have gotten interested in reading about low carb eating, I seem to run across it quite often. I now wonder if I should be taking it seriously. It would be a real kick in the teeth to get my blood pressure under control, my glucose out of the prediabetic range, my BMI down, and develop colon cancer.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-18, 19:38

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I wonder if Ray Audette (of Neanderthin fame) still eats a pound of bacon a day.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 06:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc0455
I've never really taken seriously organic, non-gmo, grass fed, hormone free, cage free, etc., but as I have gotten interested in reading about low carb eating, I seem to run across it quite often. I now wonder if I should be taking it seriously. It would be a real kick in the teeth to get my blood pressure under control, my glucose out of the prediabetic range, my BMI down, and develop colon cancer.

It certainly tastes better, and I buy what I can for humane reasons. I am very sensitive to Omega 6 oils, and dropping "vegetable" oils for coconut oil made a difference to my inflammation issues. But I don't get any such feedback from regular and pasture raised.

However, the difference between basic eggs and my pastured eggs from local farms is DRAMATIC. Taste, texture, yellow of yolk, etc. But that's me, in my area.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 06:45

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 242/225/150 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:39%/39%/24%
Progress: 18%

Ouch. I classify this as unwelcome (but not surprising) information I'll think about while I'm eating my bacon. :-\

Has anyone tried the “Naked Bacon” and “Naked Ham” sold in Sainsbury’s and Waitrose? Would like to sample it. Any distributors in the U.S.?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 09:12

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

we make our own bacon. i brine the meat in a sea salt brine and then we run it thru the smoker with alder chips from trees on our property. no sugar, no wierd chemicals. just totally amazing bacon that i don't have to worry about what has been put into it. we do our own hams too. it's not very hard to do, just time consuming. even if we weren't raising our own pork, i'd still make our own bacon. we all prefer the homemade kind now.

my kids react strongly to preservatives. that 'natural' stuff with the celery seed is the worst.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 09:58

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 260/220/220 Male 6' 4"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Unfortunately, the lazy public demands and has been fed a constant stream of à la carte nutritional studies. That is, this one item is either good or bad. We see evidence that saturated fat and salt lose their many healthy properties and become dangerous when consumed by the carbohydrate loaded individuals who typically populate studies. Could the processed meat studies suffer from this as well? There is significant evidence that carbohydrates play a role in cancer.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 10:19

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

There's an old study I usually pull up for threads like this where they tried to kill rats by implanting them with cancer and then feeding them various meat products. Bacon was particularly disappointing, it seemed to have an anti-cancer effect. The researchers theorized that the salty bacon was making the animals thirsty, and the extra water the animals were drinking was fighting the cancer. I never came across an follow up studies giving rats extra salty food or force-feeding them water to fight cancer, though.

Okay, found it;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10050267

Quote:
A bacon-based diet appears to protect against carcinogenesis, perhaps because bacon contains 5% NaCl and increased the rats' water intake.

Of course this statement doesn't fill me with optimism about the competence of the research.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 12:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred42
Could the processed meat studies suffer from this as well? There is significant evidence that carbohydrates play a role in cancer.

Show me the processed meat that doesn't come with bread. I dare you. But the meat gets blamed, not the bread!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 16:11

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Show me the processed meat that doesn't come with bread. I dare you. But the meat gets blamed, not the bread!

That was the complaint I had about Forks Over Knives. They would show a fast food meal with a burger (with bun), fries, soda or milkshake & dessert. But they blamed the thin little meat patty for health problems. Anyone but a true believer could see the real problem with that meal.

I had only eaten homemade jalapeño poppers so didn't know how restaurants made them. I thought I was going to get a treat when I ordered them at a restaurant. So disappointing. Tiny things covered with breading. More bread than pepper & bacon. Wondering if they still might be fairly safe for me to eat I asked about the carbs - the waitress brought out the box. They were frozen - & not exactly safe for me.

Who would bread & deep fry a jalapeño popper except a carb addict?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 18:13

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I'd like to know of just one experiment where they fed any kind of meat to any animal or human, then observed the formation of cancer, i.e. it causes cancer and subsequently causes it to grow. Just one.

Remember Collin Campbell? He tried to blame meat by first feeding mice with aflatoxin to cause cancer in the first place. Then he selected those mice which had developed cancer, and obviously rejected those that didn't. Then he fed those mice casein to varying degree. Then he concluded in a brilliant move that meat caused cancer. Well, because meat is aflatoxin, and because meat is casein. And, well, because mice are humans.

Now Teaser reminds us of an experiment where they implanted cancer in mice. Didn't cause it in mice. Didn't grow it in mice. Implanted. Even here bacon failed to make it worse but that's weird because mice don't eat bacon so it must be pretty bad for them otherwise.

Ya, just one experiment where meat causes cancer.

On the other hand we got a pilot experiment by Feinman which shows a ketogenic diet - which is so much easier to do with an all-meat diet by the way - actually reverses cancer in otherwise terminally ill cancer patients. Well, because meat (a ketogenic diet actually in this case, but it comes out the same in the end) is so dangerous it must be the last thing anybody thinks of as therapy for those dying people, right?

Ya, so meat is so frigging dangerous a famous yet obscure experiment from more than half a century ago showed exactly zero detrimental effect from consuming only meat for a whole year!

Dude, seriously.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 18:22

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I am very sensitive to Omega 6 oils, and dropping "vegetable" oils for coconut oil made a difference to my inflammation issues.

I also stopped using vegetable oil and switched to coconut oil. After reading about the estrogen in soy, I stopped buying mayo and started making it myself with olive or avocado oil. I'm not ready to give up bacon, but I may switch to uncured nitrate free.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 18:27

BF:

Why give up bacon? Celery has more nitrates.