Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 09:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Struggling!

Every third day I cheat. I am breastfeeding a nine month old baby and have cleared this medically.

I keep self sabotaging and it's beyond frustrating.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 15:18

Plan: Atkins 2002 edition
Stats: 229.6/209/138 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

What is happening is you are almost in ketosis but not there yet. That's when you will a great reduction in hunger and cravings. You also may be eating trigger foods: peanut butter, nuts, heavy cream. These are all allowed at different phases but remember just because someone else has no problem with one or all of those items doesn't mean it won't stall you.

If you'd like to share you menu I'd be happy to look it over. You maybe not eating enough calories or fat and too many carbs. Remember it's high fat, moderate protein, low carb from mostly vegetables and little to no sugar. There are traces of sugar in many foods.

You are really punishing yourself when giving in on the third day but this happens often to people. The third day s the hardest for most people because they have a case of what is called the Atkins flu. Push through those 3-5 days and you will start reaping the rewards and eat when you are hungry. It can be excessive the first 1-5 days but it's okay. Your hunger will regulate smaller portions and less food cravings as time goes by through wonderful appetite suppressant: FAT.

So eat whenever you are hungry. Enjoy your food. This is about you. Taking care of yourself should be your number one priority. Because if you don;t take good care of you then you are not able to fully take care of others. It's draining. And having a small child is a lot of physical and emotional work. But you want that child to grow up in a healthy home with good eating habits so they do not have to have a life time addiction and obsession with food.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 19:15

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I agree with Kat. Please post an example of a day's menu, and let us have a look. Carb flu is real and hard to get past. But we have ways!

The main thing is not to feel hungry. If you feel hungry, eat something. But pick something off the Atkins Induction (Phase One) list. Half a pound of bacon? Okay. Pork rinds dipped in mayo? Fine. Deviled eggs? Great! A big dill pickle? Yup, probably okay too. Be sure to drink enough water, including some hot broth. Chicken or beef bouillon is fine. I sometimes throw a few pork rinds into the soup, and they turn into "noodles." Very filling.

Whatever it is you "cheat" with, dump it in the trash. Now. Just go do it. Ask for roses on Valentine's Day!

You deserve them.

Best wishes.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-17, 12:54

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

How're you sleeping? It may not be the right time to begin a drastic life change. I've started a post to you at least a dozen times but I keep deleting my posts because I don't want to get into any kind of debate. I'll just tell you what I would do if I were in your shoes. I nursed all my biological children, but nursing was very, very difficult for me. Life sucking even. There is no way, no how, I could have simultaneously nursed a baby and transitioned into ketosis. Nursing made me very weak and tired and both of those things caused me to eat more sugar and bread which of course caused me to gain weight. Soooo, if I were you, I'd figure I had 3 choices:

1. Take a few days off nursing and put myself into ketosis.

2. Wean the baby.

3. Wait to do Atkins until the baby is weaned. In the mean time, cut out obvious sugar and eat bread mindfully. Cut back if you can.

Good luck and hang in there!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-17, 12:59

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

You should not be in ketosis while nursing. You should be maintaining about 50 total carbs. That will still let you lose but make sure it is safe for baby.

Cheating every third day is a sign that you are not getting enough daily. How are you eating each day? Make sure you are getting good healthy fats and lots of good veggies from the acceptable list. Make sure you are eating good protein.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-17, 19:58

Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Thank you, all. I drink a ton of water, and I try to keep my carbs between 40-60 per day.

Before work: HWC and splenda in coffee
Breakfast: 3 eggs cooked in butter, 1 oz cheese, 1/2 cup ground turkey sausage
Snack: Organic turkey pepperoni stick X 2, 20 black olives
Lunch: Veggies + Meat leftovers from night before
Snack: Baby carrots (2 cups) with guacamole
Dinner: cauliflower pizza covered with turkey pepperoni, cheese, and veggies; steak & sauteed spinach; chicken mozzarella with side salad; Spicy Low Carb Taco Salad
AFTER DINNER DANGER: usually 1 square dark chocolate, 4-6 oz red wine, 1 cup skinny pop covered in hot sauce & parmesan