Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 18:04

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Interesting. Now that I'm back from vacation and trying to get back in the groove, I'll see how the ratios go. First I'll see what I would typically do, and then maybe do some adjusting.

Always good to hear new ideas and try new things. THANKS!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 18:22

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
Hmm, got this from the site:

"Glucose is specifically required by many tissues but does not have to be provided as such in the diet, since other dietary carbohydrates are readily converted to glucose, either during digestion (eg., starch) or subsequently in the liver (eg., fructose, galactose. Glucose is also formed from the glycerol moiety of fats and from glucogenic amino acids by gluconeogenesis. However, a minimum daily intake of carbohydrate (50 g) is recommended in humans to prevent ketosis and loss of muscle protein."
Yea, he is off base in his recommendations and ignorant of basic metabolism. Here is what Dr. Mike says,
Quote:
Most cells in the body can use glucose or fat or even protein, for that matter, for energy, but certain cells can use glucose only. Those glucose-only cells are some of the cells in the brain, the red blood cells, cells in the kidney and cells in the retina. All these glucose-using cells consume about 120-150 grams of glucose per day (about 3/4 of a cup),
Found is his blog
We never failed to fail…
- a quarter to a third of the way down the page.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 19:50
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Well, I never said I agreed with everything Dr K says! I don't agree 100% with any of them, truth be told. I take what I can use from each of the Atkins, PPLP and the OD. They are not mutually exclusive plans, not by a long shot, anyway.

That's why I still keep my carbs low, at least for now, b/c I don't agree that muscle is lost in ketosis in the presence of adequate dietary protein.

Larry, Dr K readily admits in his literature that the body CAN make glucose out of protein and fat.

His assertion is that it's EASIER ON THE BODY to provide that little bit of glucose for the cells that absolutely do require it from food carbs than to FORCE the body to make it out of dietary protein or dietary fat. And further, since his protein reccommendations are rock bottom, designed to meet ONLY the need for tissue function and maintenance and NOT conversion to energy, then it stands to reason that a few more carbs would be in order on his diet, to meet the needs of those cells that require glucose, would it not, to prevent the body from accessing it's own protein to make the glucose??? That's how I see it. And I have to say I do agree with that, b/c it makes a lot of sense to me.

I have a hard time calling him ignorant or off base. His plan is very successful in the treatment of all kinds of degenerative diseases. But he prescribes that people eat ALL the edible parts of an animal over there in Poland, and not to just allow people to eat the muscle meat and supplement the essential things that are missing, like the Eades do.

EDITED:

I read that blog and Dr Mike says he limits carbs to 20-50g per day and the OD suggests 50 per day....so it sounds like they are about the same to me???

Last edited by ElleH : Mon, May-14-07 at 09:42.