Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 19:05

Plan: Healthy Living
Stats: 196/146/125 Female 5ft3in
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Coming off major binge

For some reason I am really having a hard time sticking to my plan. I know that it is the best thing for me but I just can't seem to stick to the darn plan!

I am coming off of a major binge. Probably the worst binge ever!

I am going to bed-major carb coma as I call it- But I vow to get on plan in the morning (for the millionth time).

So my question is this... In your experience, what is the best way to get all this sugar out of my system. How can I get through the craving period easier.

Ugh- sick of whining and complaining about the same crap-just can't seem to find the discipline to get my but in gear and stick to my plan!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 21:07

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannette1
....Ugh- sick of whining and complaining about the same crap-just can't seem to find the discipline to get my but in gear and stick to my plan!

For me it's not having MORE discipline or MORE will power or MORE of anything else, It's about doing LESS thinking that I need MORE. I don't know what I need. I've let go of some old ideas that didn't work no matter how hard I tried to make them work.

Be a beginner; stay a beginner. The world can turn shiny and bright.

I don't know if you will find this helpful but it was fun to write but not so fun to know that you continue to suffer.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-17, 02:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

You're not giving up and your coming in here so that is all positive. I keep saying this but we are all different, what suits one person may not suit another. My approach is perhaps gentler than most here, so carbs are higher. Still aware of how they affect me particularly on their own and time of consumption. I do believe excess carbs are not helpful.
There was a thread a few years ago about how we all tend to be one thing or another. Can't remember the terminology but something along the lines of some are "all or nothing" others just don't cope with those limitations and so are better with a less regimented approach. Perhaps a more regular poster will be able to guide you to that thread. If losing weight was simple I guess there would be very few of us on here. Regular posters on here seem to have been there and done that, hope you find something that resonates.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-17, 05:10

Plan: Healthy Living
Stats: 196/146/125 Female 5ft3in
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123

Be a beginner; stay a beginner. The world can turn shiny and bright.

Thank you
I like this line. Made me smile.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-17, 05:25

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

For me the only secret to not binging is having convinced myself thoroughly that the foods I might binge on are simply poison to my system. This is not simply an intellectual understanding but something I literally feel in my gut. These foods will make me sick. I am not deprived. I am fortunate to have found this out so I know what to avoid. It's not discipline that is needed it is knowledge, gut level knowledge. I don't ingest poison.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-17, 05:35
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Like esw said, jeannette, you came back in here determined to go back OP, so don't be so hard on yourself!

Have you tried to figure out what made you binge? Mayhaps that will help you next time you feel a binge coming on and you can avoid it!

Make sure you always have lots of OP foods on hand, so that if you can't fight the binge, then binge on perfectly 100% OP foods...

Wishing you much success on your journey to better HEALTH!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-17, 05:37
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hiya, esw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by esw
...Can't remember the terminology but something along the lines of some are "all or nothing" others just don't cope with those limitations and so are better with a less regimented approach. Perhaps a more regular poster will be able to guide you to that thread.
Do you mean the abstainer vs. the moderator, esw??

Here's something that was posted on that thread, I don't remember by whom,

It defines "abstainers and moderators".

Original source is quoted below.

Quote:
Are you an abstainer or a moderator?

For the last week and a half, I’ve been traveling on my book tour for Happier at Home. I love getting the chance to talk to so many people about happiness.

When I gave my talks, the issue of abstainers and moderators came up several times, so I thought it might be helpful to post this quiz yet again.

Recognizing this distinction has been one of the most important insights that I’ve had into my own nature–more helpful, say, than understanding that I’m an under-buyer, not an over-buyer.

When dealing with temptation, I often see the advice, “Be moderate. Don’t have ice cream every night, but if you try to deny yourself altogether, you’ll fall off the wagon. Allow yourself to have the occasional treat, it will help you stick to your plan.”

I’ve come to believe that this is good advice for some people: the “moderators.” They do better when they avoid absolutes and strict rules.

For a long time, I kept trying this strategy of moderation–and failing. Then I read a line from Samuel Johnson, who said, when someone offered him wine: “Abstinence is as easy to me as temperance would be difficult.”

Ah ha! Like Dr. Johnson, I’m an “abstainer.”

I find it far easier to give something up altogether than to indulge moderately. When I admitted to myself that I was eating my favorite frozen yogurt treat very often–two and even three times a day–I gave it up cold turkey. That was far easier for me to do than to eat it twice a week. If I try to be moderate, I exhaust myself debating, “Today, tomorrow?” “Does this time ‘count’?” “Don’t I deserve this?” etc. If I never do something, it requires no self-control for me; if I do something sometimes, it requires enormous self-control.

There’s no right way or wrong way–it’s just a matter of knowing which strategy works better for you. If moderators try to abstain, they feel trapped and rebellious. If abstainers try to be moderate, they spend a lot of precious energy justifying why they should go ahead and indulge.

In my experience, both moderators and abstainers try hard to convert the other team. A nutritionist once told me, “I tell my clients to follow the 80/20 rule. Be healthy 80% of the time, indulge within reason, 20% of the time.” She wouldn’t consider my point of view–that a 100% rule might be easier for someone like me to follow.

People can be surprisingly judgmental about which approach you take.

As an abstainer, I often get disapproving comments like, “It’s not healthy to take such a severe approach” or “It would be better to learn how to manage yourself” or “You should be able to have a brownie.”

On the other hand, I want to tell moderators, “You can’t keep cheating and expect to make progress” or “Why don’t you just go cold turkey?” But different approaches work for different people. (Exception: with an actual addiction, like alcohol or cigarettes, people generally accept that abstaining is the only solution.)

You’re a moderator if you…
– find that occasional indulgence heightens your pleasure
–and strengthens your resolve
– get panicky at the thought of “never” getting or doing something

You’re an abstainer if you…
– have trouble stopping something once you’ve started
– aren’t tempted by things that you’ve decided are off-limits

So…do you identify as an abstainer or a moderator? Do these categories ring true for you?

Source: http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_...or-a-moderator/
Quote:
If losing weight was simple I guess there would be very few of us on here.
Amen, sista!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-17, 05:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yip that's it exactly Jo . I am definitely a moderator, horses for courses!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-17, 06:30
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Most of the veterans here have been where you are. Life is complicated. The food which is poison to us is always there, readily available. I've been using LC/Atkins to control my weight since 1972. The fact that I'm still at it shows the world two things:
1. I'm stubborn as heck.
2. I've had my share of not being OP.

The trouble with being off-again-on-again is that the body never gets a real chance to be in the ketone groove. This equates with having the flu symptoms almost all the time, and that's a miserable thing.

Choices. We all make them every second of every day. Once you've made the choice to stay OP, maybe try a fast. It doesn't have to be longer than a few hours to empower you. As Dr. Fung says, "It's simple. Just don't eat." Stock up on chicken broth, the real thing. I find that making my own bone broth strengthens my conviction. Be strict with yourself. Nobody else cares whether you eat OP or not.

One of the best things I learned from the Fung protocol is that it isn't just about WHAT I eat, but also about WHEN I eat. This graphic is so important to me that I have it in my gallery:

If your goal is good health, LC eating will get you there, but only you can do it. Just Jo is the best cheerleader you can have on your team. Take a look at what she's accomplished and you'll be amazed.

You can do this.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-17, 08:41

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

When it comes to carbohydrate foods, I'm an abstainer. But I'll binge on non-carbohydrate foods if I allow my low carbohydrate diet to be sufficiently anti-ketogenic.

At Christmas, I ate the cookies, pie, etc. It took me most of a week to return to my normal eating routine. Cheese or nuts especially, I'll eat pounds of those. A way I've found helps me recover more quickly is to eat an even more ketogenic diet than usual--keep carbs as low as possible, not bother to get even close to my day's requirement of protein for a day or two, with no restriction on fat. Fasting would probably get me into ketosis sooner, but entering a fast in binge mode just gets me binging again, I satisfy the excess drive to eat with the least insulinogenic, anti-ketogenic food I can find.

Cheese and peanuts/nuts are binge foods for me--but I've been eating sufficiently towards the ketogenic end, I can have an ounce or two of these as a snack without triggering a binge--and it's not like I'm dissatisfied, wanting more but strong enough to resist, I'll actually be happy with that little bit and not want more. The same happens with alcohol for me--I'll be happy with a capful of rum in my diet coke as flavour, but actually have an aversion to drinking more.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-17, 10:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I'm a recovered binge/fast eating disorder person. There are two elements to bingeing; the physical and the emotional. You have to fix both!

Emotional: Most the time, this is "eating our feelings." We think we can't do anything about how we feel or the problems that are causing us stress, so we reach for a cheap and easy way to "feel good." Of course, it doesn't ever feel good afterwards, and simply causes more problems.

Try journaling, therapy, and/or non-food "treats" like a luxurious bath or a massage session. Even deciding to go for a walk in nature works better, and costs less. Whatever it takes to solve the problems, stop avoiding and start confronting; even if this only starts in your own head.

Once you accept how things make you feel, you can change things.

Physical: Thing is, we binge on cheap carbs because that is what works. As Dr. Atkins said, "No one binges on steak." The "sugar rush" is a cheap drug that triggers the feel good hormone, dopamine. Which is why we do it.

Depending on how long and how much you have done this "self-medicating," it is possible that you have actually gotten into a dopamine deficit; your body is relying on this burst of carbs to release dopamine. You actually get depressed and feel rotten when you don't binge, which makes you feel helpless to fix it.

An excellent book for helping the malnutrition that keeps you bingeing is The Mood Cure.

Come at this from both sides and you can fix it.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-17, 10:52

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I'm a recovered binge/fast eating disorder person. There are two elements to bingeing; the physical and the emotional. You have to fix both!

Emotional: Most the time, this is "eating our feelings." We think we can't do anything about how we feel or the problems that are causing us stress, so we reach for a cheap and easy way to "feel good." Of course, it doesn't ever feel good afterwards, and simply causes more problems.

Try journaling, therapy, and/or non-food "treats" like a luxurious bath or a massage session. Even deciding to go for a walk in nature works better, and costs less. Whatever it takes to solve the problems, stop avoiding and start confronting; even if this only starts in your own head.

Once you accept how things make you feel, you can change things.

Physical: Thing is, we binge on cheap carbs because that is what works. As Dr. Atkins said, "No one binges on steak." The "sugar rush" is a cheap drug that triggers the feel good hormone, dopamine. Which is why we do it.

Depending on how long and how much you have done this "self-medicating," it is possible that you have actually gotten into a dopamine deficit; your body is relying on this burst of carbs to release dopamine. You actually get depressed and feel rotten when you don't binge, which makes you feel helpless to fix it.

An excellent book for helping the malnutrition that keeps you bingeing is The Mood Cure.

Come at this from both sides and you can fix it.

Good post. Too often people who talk about emotional eating neglect the physiological effects of high carb foods. This is not an either or thing, both are in play.

Jean
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-17, 16:49

Plan: lo-carb, atkins
Stats: 202/195/130 Female 5ft. 1 1/2inch.
BF:
Progress: 10%

When I find I am craving food off plan, I am not eating the amount of fat as before. When I put back the fat my cravings seem to go away. I also come to the forum and am encouraged. I like to go to YouTube and watch various posts. Eric Westman, Sarah Hallberg (I think that's how her name is spelled), James Carlson, and others I've heard about here. Also Cooking with Kristie. She's great!

Keep at it. I love that you are not giving up. there will come a day when you will look back and say "I did it!!!"
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 19:46

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hang in there. Your story sounds just like me a little over a year ago. I don't know how many times I tried staying on a LC diet till I got it right.

Keep a food diary. Hidden carbs could be spiking your blood sugars and or causing cravings. Writing down what and how much you eat, tracking carbs, will help you figure out trigger foods that cause binge eating. Your not a failure if you don't give up!