Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-15, 13:10

Plan: Vital Signs/Hybrid
Stats: 255/206.8/180 Male 70.5
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default One of the "lucky" 25 percent

Hi everyone. I don't post much, but I read the forums often and find them a wealth of information and support. Thank you.

I wanted to share some of my latest results and concerns. Its about cholesterol. As the subject line states, I'm one of the lucky individuals whose cholesterol goes up on LC.

When I started this WOE in April of 2014 these were my numbers:

Trig : 299
Total Chol :184
HDL :27
LDL :107

Over the course of the last year and a half the numbers have gradually changed to this:

Trig :101
Total Chol :300
HDL :38
LDL :242

While I am happy that the HDLs and Trigs have improved, I feel like they should be better at this point. Of course, I'm curious to hear what the MD says when I go see her for my physical in a couple weeks. The nutritionist seems to be happy with it and not too concerned, but I guess I am questioning because of all I hear about the dangers of cholesterol.

Now don't get the impression that I haven't done my homework I've read Taubes, Bowden, Phinney and Volek, etc. Have all the books on my desk and I refer to them often. I KNOW in my brain what I believe to be true. Its just when a 300 cholesterol number comes back that it puts you to the test. And there are a LOT of people who think the other way, including many doctors.

I started this WOE to prevent diabetes. My brothers have both developed type 2, and I did not want to join them. I am not diabetic, but have insulin resistance. My nutritionist says I am now utilizing 54 percent of the insulin I produce, up from 38 percent last check (Dec). I don't know what it was before that...probably worse. And with the lowering of my trigs, I think I've made some progress in that department. Not to mention the 50 pounds or so I am no longer carrying around

I guess I'm wondering if I am trading one problem for another?

I've been in ketosis continually since I started eating this way, as far as I can tell. I've never gone off the wagon. I've been keeping my net carb counts at or below 20g 95 percent of the time. When I go over that, its only by a few, and usually for something "on the menu", like almonds, etc.

Sorry for the long post. I guess I'm just a little down about it, and wondering what all you good folks here might advise.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-15, 19:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

FWIW, I think your numbers look awesome. LDLs are actually necessary for a lot of the essential processes in our bodies. Like brain functioning, for example.

And the more that is learned about total cholesterol, the more it's realized that 200 for TC is a bad number. That, for example, older people with TC higher than 200 live longer and develop cognition issues at a lower rate than those with TC below 200.

Once your weight stabilizes, it's possible that TC number, and the LDLs, will come down a bit. What you should be dancing and singing about, of course, is the triglycerides: they are stellar.

Does your doctor have VLDLs measured? They are no good, and I would bet that, if you had them tested before and now, you'd have seen excellent improvement in them, as well.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-15, 19:41

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

What MickiSue said--you've done a great job with weightloss, and getting your triglycerides down (which as far as I'm concerned, is the most relevant number). Pull out GCBC and read chapter nine again, or try The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz (some overlap with GCBC, but a good read).

From what I've read, lipids will continue to be elevated the entire time that you are losing weight, and there is no point in fretting about them (or some say even measuring them) until your weight has stabilized for some time. If you are in ketosis, your body is mobilizing fat. Please do not even consider statins!