Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-15, 15:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

As high cholesterol is a marker for hypothyroidism, find another doctor/clinic and have TSH and FT4 run. Does high cholesterol run in your family? Can you get your CRP (inflamation marker) tested?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-15, 06:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

The more I read, the less I can see what on earth cholesterol has to do with anything at all.

Jo xxx
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-15, 08:09

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I am sure genetics have something to do with my high cholesterol, but also LC does too to be bringing my numbers up that much. Must be the high fat so I am cutting back on that. Cholesterol numbers may or may not matter, but I would like to see mine come down some. I will not be taking statins. Only thing left to try is the way I eat.

I will update on my next check. My THS and T4 were checked and were not high. My docs won't check anything else.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-15, 08:29
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I'm thinking the added fiber had more to do with my improved LDL number than anything else. I tried to cut back on saturated fat over the past few months. But in all honesty, I didn't do a very good job of it. My saturated fat intake was slightly down from what I was eating prior to my June lab work, but it was actually higher than what I had been eating before my March labs. My LDL was highest on my March labs and I was eating the least amount of saturated fat back then. The biggest change to my diet for this last set of labs was added fiber and a modest increase in polyunsaturated fat.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-15, 08:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

High saturated fat intake does not seem to be correlated with high cholesterol levels, except on a temporary basis.

If you are still actively losing, then your fat cells are still actively releasing their contents into your bloodstream.

But, if you feel you must change your diet, please don't add carbs, and make sure that the fats you are adding are mono unsaturated, at most. Polyunsaturated fats are highly inflammatory.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-15, 08:53

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Will be staying VLC, just cutting back on fat, eating my allowed veg.

Last edited by DelaneyLC : Fri, Sep-25-15 at 15:10.