Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 22:10

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Talking Anyone in Ontario? Need a source...

Anyone know where I can get grass-fed butter? I don't give a rat's patootie if it's organic or not. I'm around Toronto but am willing to take a trek.

I've found a ton of grass-fed beef sources, but not dairy...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 07:06

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

You might try the www.kerrygold.com website. They have wonderful butter from grass-fed cows. I've seen it here in the US. From the main page you can select 'Canada' and then 'where to buy'. Maybe it will work for you. I tried but even when I select 'Canada' and 'where to buy' it only gives me a list of US states - but maybe if you are actually *in* Canada it works better. If not maybe you can make a day-trip to Buffalo.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 08:06

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
You might try the www.kerrygold.com website. They have wonderful butter from grass-fed cows. I've seen it here in the US. From the main page you can select 'Canada' and then 'where to buy'. Maybe it will work for you. I tried but even when I select 'Canada' and 'where to buy' it only gives me a list of US states - but maybe if you are actually *in* Canada it works better. If not maybe you can make a day-trip to Buffalo.

I just tried it but I got the same result - a list of US states. I guess Canadians can only get it by crossing the border - from here it's an easy day-trip to Washington State but it includes a $100 ferry ride. I'd have to buy an awful lot of butter to make that worth the trip!

I didn't check Ontario but you might find something at this site - http://www.eatwild.com/products/canada.html - they list organic and grass-fed by Province. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 11:01

BF:
Progress:

Thanks peoples... I did check eatwild but couldn't find dairy suppliers, only beef/poultry. I'm starting to think any store that stocks grass fed butter would have to be ordering it from the US, I can't imagine many would bother...

I got the same results with Kerry gold... so we ARE just another state!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-24-09, 06:56

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexicon
Thanks peoples... I did check eatwild but couldn't find dairy suppliers, only beef/poultry. I'm starting to think any store that stocks grass fed butter would have to be ordering it from the US, I can't imagine many would bother...

I got the same results with Kerry gold... so we ARE just another state!

Try Goodness Me in Hamilton or The Big Carrot in Toronto.
They might sell it or be able to find it for you.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 01:03

Plan: paleo-ish atkins
Stats: 200/188/142 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 21%

i wonder if you could get it farmgate at an amish farm?

or maybe just render down some fat/suet from the grass-fed beef and use some good old fashioned tallow in your cooking? it works just like butter
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 23:04

Plan: haven't yet
Stats: 145/145/120 Female 65
BF:
Progress:

Lieberthal Farm • CAMPBELLVILLE

FG: Organic chicken, beef, lamb, salami, eggs, honey, maple syrup, organic milk, cheeses, butter, fair trade organic coffee, and more. Available at Greenfield’s Organic Farm Wednesdays 2:30 - 7 pm, and also available at The Village Market — Toronto Waldorf School, Thornhill

Call for appointment for farmgate sales (905) 854-2697.

Looks real easy to get to from Toronto, for a source of butter. Get there before winter? If it weren't midnight I'd call the number for ya.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 11:23

Plan: Whole Foods, Mod Carbs
Stats: 292.4/190.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I phoned my local "Planet Organic" for you (vaughan location).

http://www.planetorganic.ca/ourstores/vaughan

I spoke to the grocery manager, Brian, who is going to look at where the butter he currently carries comes from and if he doesn't have it, whether he can get it in (they're a GREAT grocery store - very friendly!).

He told me to call back in 24hrs (tomorrow around noon), so if you want, you can give him a call and ask about it.

The number is in the link I gave you.

Hope this helps
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 11:25

Plan: Whole Foods, Mod Carbs
Stats: 292.4/190.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Okay, I just noticed this is an older thread, lol.

Well, if anyone wants to call, feel free (they also have other locations across Canada).

I think I'm actually going to call myself tomorrow
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-10, 09:06

Plan: no sure yet
Stats: 145/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Harmony Dairy

I was looking for the same thing! Someone really needs to start a pastured dairy, or start promoting it as such if they do this already in Ontario.
Take a look at Harmony Organic http://www.harmonyorganic.on.ca/ sold in many health food stores around the GTA and Ontario in general. If you browse their website, they do say their cows are pastured, they just don't outright market it this way...
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-10, 10:04

BF:
Progress:

Unfortunately I missed some replies when the thread got old, thanks to those who have replied. Lots of organic butter everywhere, not so much grassfed, but considering how the popularity of grassfed beef has risen the last few years it should only be a matter of time.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-13, 13:06

Plan: Bulletproof diet
Stats: 165/165/175 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress:
Default Grass-fed butter in the GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexicon
Unfortunately I missed some replies when the thread got old, thanks to those who have replied. Lots of organic butter everywhere, not so much grassfed, but considering how the popularity of grassfed beef has risen the last few years it should only be a matter of time.

If you don't mind paying for it, and I do mean that ($14/half pound), you can find grass-fed butter at brooker's meats, just west of the 400, just north of hwy 9. Pretty easy drive from the city at the right time of day.

http://www.brookersmeat.com/store?p...17&category=717

They also deliver if you order over $200, I believe. I just checked it out this week. Yummy butter and ground beef. That's all I've tried so far, but everything is grass-fed. The eggs are free-range, real free-range, and reasonable ($5.75/dz). I sound like I work for them. I'm just excited to have found a source and to get the word out.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-13, 23:35
fabulously me

Plan: just lowest carbs poss
Stats: 242/242/130 Female 5ft 8
BF:
Progress: 0%

Kerrygold is nice. I used to get that in england. Really cheap too.

Maybe try mamaearth.ca