Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-11, 18:20

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Have you continued to eat salad daily while maintaining?

I have gotten to goal twice and each time the further up the carb ladder I went, the less veggies I would eat. I really am determined this time to do my best to keep the 2 cups of induction salad in my daily diet at the very least.

I'm curious to know 1) how long have you been maintaining and 2) do you pretty consistently eat that 2 cup salad each day? 3) What do you do to keep from getting bored with it? 4) Why do you think it's important?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-11, 18:47
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

i've been maintaining for 2+ yrs.. i don't know the date exactly but no.. i never eat 2 cups of vegetables to maintain.
meat and fat has kept me lean no matter how much alcohol i drink.
i don't eat gluten, vegetables, no fruit and i'm doing quite well...
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-11, 19:09
Bouncy!

Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I've been maintaining my weight loss for over 6 years and sometimes I feel like if I have to eat another salad I'm going to explode! And then sometimes it's exactly what I want - I had one for dinner tonight.

I do try to get my veggies in other ways other than salad when I'm burnt out on salads. I add veggies to my quiche, try to stir fry more, make more cauli-fried rice, make coleslaw with sugar free coleslaw dressing, that sort of thing.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 18:37
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
I have gotten to goal twice and each time the further up the carb ladder I went, the less veggies I would eat. I really am determined this time to do my best to keep the 2 cups of induction salad in my daily diet at the very least.

I'm curious to know 1) how long have you been maintaining and 2) do you pretty consistently eat that 2 cup salad each day? 3) What do you do to keep from getting bored with it? 4) Why do you think it's important?

Thank you!

I've been maintaining my weight loss for the past 5 yrs.
While I may not a a salad daily, I do eat some kind of veggie each day, either cooked into a soup or roasted or steamed. I do love a good salad and save many leftovers to use in them the next day as a meal.

I can't really say that I am ever bored with any aspect of my food. Truth be told, if I have a desire for something, I find a way to have it. I've found recipes and made up my own for tastes that make me happy.

One other thing is that I am very consistent with the food I eat. I don't waver much at all.... looking for the next best diet fad. I used to live like that!!
I've created a food plan for myself as I was losing my weight and it has stood up to the test of time. I'm always looking for a new idea though and am still learning how to cook.

Last night, I pan fried a wild salmon steak(in a szechuan sauce) and had it with roasted brussel sprouts..... I actually love eating this way.
The other night, I had a rare steak and garlic mock mashed....to die for!!!

Tonight I'm going to sautee up onions, peppers and mushrooms in crushed red pepper, garlic and evoo. Then I wilt a bag of spinach into it and bake it all into a frittata. Thats good for several meals.

I think that eating some kind of veggies daily is a good part of a balanced eating plan. It gives me lots of variety in my diet and it does help me from getting bored.

Hope this helps!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 21:47
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I've been in maintenance for over a year. I eat very much like I did when I was practicing OWL except a few more carbs.

I go thru phases with eating vegetables and salads--right now because it's cold outside, salad isn't so appealing, but almost daily, I eat some type of vegetable. I like the variety that vegetables bring to my palate, plus the round out my meal. Tonight I had a pan seared halibut on a bed of zuchinni pasta with tomato, garlic, pesto, and dried chilis. Waaaay more interesting than just a piece of fish.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 10:12

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
I'm curious to know 1) how long have you been maintaining
Almost 3 years now

Quote:
and 2) do you pretty consistently eat that 2 cup salad each day?
I usually eat veggies and/or a salad every day, but there are also days when I don't. It does depend how I feel, plus I also have regular 'protein' only days, which in my experience have proved to be an excellent maintenance tool.

Quote:
3) What do you do to keep from getting bored with it?
I do have certain dishes (veggies included) that I eat on a regular basis, but I also like to try new things as well. In all honesty, I can't say that I've ever been bored with eating veggies or salad because of the variety that I do eat.

Quote:
4) Why do you think it's important?
Whether it's actually important health-wise or whatver to eat veggies/salad or not, I do think that it's important to have some variety in what you eat, plus they do add interest and 'bulk' to a meal.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 17:02

BF:

So far the consensus seems to be that most do eat veggies and/or salad almost every day...but not necessarily salad every day. I guess it is somewhat unrealistic to think I will eat a salad every day for the rest of my life.

I just don't want to get so lax that I get to a place where I'm rarely eating veggies. I've been there done that and wonder if it wasn't partly what started the spiral of going off plan.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 17:35
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
So far the consensus seems to be that most do eat veggies and/or salad almost every day...but not necessarily salad every day. I guess it is somewhat unrealistic to think I will eat a salad every day for the rest of my life.

I just don't want to get so lax that I get to a place where I'm rarely eating veggies. I've been there done that and wonder if it wasn't partly what started the spiral of going off plan.

I think it'd be good for you to figure what you went off plan with when you did go off. Then you can be armed with that info and find foods that will satisify what you feel you are missing.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 17:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I think it'd be good for you to figure what you went off plan with when you did go off. Then you can be armed with that info and find foods that will satisify what you feel you are missing.

Yes...that is good advice. Unfortunately it was about a year ago that I went off and I can barely remember what happened yesterday. And I was not keeping my journal here or anywhere else. I think the biggest problem (besides just getting busy and becoming lax) is that I got frustrated with counting the carbs and putting everything in fitday, etc. and I never figured out my cclm. I was able to keep going and maintain for a long time, but then I started adding a bun here and a slice of pizza there and before I knew it I was eating the SAD like everyone else around me.

This time around I will be figuring out my ccll and my cclm for sure and I have already been digging out the old recipes and searching out new ones. I'm sure my biggest downfall is the temptation when eating out (whether at a restaurant or at a party or dinner at a friend's house). I can "know" what I should get and that thing might be very appetizing...but I get what I "want" to get like I'm entitled to have anything simply because I'm "out." I overcame that for a LONG time and am sure I will again...it's some kind of mental thing that I'm not sure how to figure out.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 19:26
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Yes...that is good advice. Unfortunately it was about a year ago that I went off and I can barely remember what happened yesterday. And I was not keeping my journal here or anywhere else. I think the biggest problem (besides just getting busy and becoming lax) is that I got frustrated with counting the carbs and putting everything in fitday, etc. and I never figured out my cclm. I was able to keep going and maintain for a long time, but then I started adding a bun here and a slice of pizza there and before I knew it I was eating the SAD like everyone else around me.

This time around I will be figuring out my ccll and my cclm for sure and I have already been digging out the old recipes and searching out new ones. I'm sure my biggest downfall is the temptation when eating out (whether at a restaurant or at a party or dinner at a friend's house). I can "know" what I should get and that thing might be very appetizing...but I get what I "want" to get like I'm entitled to have anything simply because I'm "out." I overcame that for a LONG time and am sure I will again...it's some kind of mental thing that I'm not sure how to figure out.

OK, I'm going to let you in on a little known secret....I didn't go with Atkins just becasue the whole counting carbs and finding my ccll and cclm...were way too daunting for me to go there. I went the easy way (SBD, no counting carbs)and so far, so good.
But what I did learn along the way is that I'm good to have 2 fruits daily along with 2 starches daily...and that is what I count.

The whole pizza, bun, bread thing is where most of us can get easily pulled away from our plan. So I keep it to an absolute minimum. I have not had pizza in a couple of years...cause I can't have just one slice..its gotta be 3 pieces easy...and thats a lot of water weight for me to see on the scale. So I just don't.
I will have a bagel every once in a while and that seems to be enough for me. But I haven't had pasta in a couple of years either. Not even Dreamfields.

I kinda wish that Dr Atkins didn't make finding your ccl so hard!! It is hard and I do think that many people don't get there because of this.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 21:15

BF:

Quote:
OK, I'm going to let you in on a little known secret....I didn't go with Atkins just becasue the whole counting carbs and finding my ccll and cclm...were way too daunting for me to go there. I went the easy way (SBD, no counting carbs)and so far, so good.
But what I did learn along the way is that I'm good to have 2 fruits daily along with 2 starches daily...and that is what I count.

I kinda wish that Dr Atkins didn't make finding your ccl so hard!! It is hard and I do think that many people don't get there because of this.

Yes..it IS hard, but the benefits outweigh the pain in that you become aware of trigger foods and you know your limits. I got SO close two times, so I am pretty confident that this time around I will get there since I have already gone up at least half the carb ladder twice. I have high hopes that this will be my last time and that I will be able to stick to it...I really must.

I do like the idea of thinking in terms of how much of the different food groups (or Atkins speak) ladder foods I can have...like 4 servings veggies, 1 serving nuts, 1 serving berries/fruit...etc. That's a different way of looking at it and could be very beneficial once I get to maintenance and am more familiar with serving sizes, etc.

This is one of the many reasons why I love this forum. I've been here on and off for years and never thought of this. Thanks, Judy!!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 22:48
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:

I'll put forth a question...playing the devils advocate (you know how much I like that role...)

Is it really "hard" or is it that it takes patience.

FOR ME--I didn't/don't find finding my CCL or CCM hard. It just took a lot a patience. Everyone wants to rush thru this critical step and not take the amount of time really needed to do it properly.

1 serving nuts, 2 serving fruit, 4 servings veg...isn't that really the same as your CCL/CCM just in servings and not grams...To me it looks the same, just calling it something else.

Just an opinion and you guys know what those are like
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 23:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I'll put forth a question...playing the devils advocate (you know how much I like that role...)

FOR ME--I didn't/don't find finding my CCL or CCM hard. It just took a lot a patience. Everyone wants to rush thru this critical step and not take the amount of time really needed to do it properly.

1 serving nuts, 2 serving fruit, 4 servings veg...isn't that really the same as your CCL/CCM just in servings and not grams...To me it looks the same, just calling it something else.

For me it was hard, as well as taking patience. I REALLY struggled through climbing the ladder the first time around....trying to identify probs..is this food really causing me to stop losing, or am I just at a place where my body is not ready? Like a lot of people when I started the carb ladder I thought I couldn't move up without stalling...but after working it and trying things I discovered that I could move up and still lose. It just took my body time to re-adjust to the higher level carbs, but once it got comfortable the lbs started coming off again.

It was a LOT of trial and error and it was exasperating and HARD...but I got through...almost. I want to finish getting through this time because I KNOW getting through will help me to maintain for life.

The servings vs. the cclm are the same thing...but it's a different way to look at it that I'd not thought of before. Do you keep a close count of your carbs each day...or do you kind of automatically know that you're keeping within your range? How do you do that? I'd never figured that out without putting all my food into fitday before...and that just got old for me. I did end up maintaining for quite some time without counting and just guessing and I suppose I'd gotten used to serving sizes and number of servings etc.

Anyway...you're right...it is the same thing, just calling it something else...but could be helpful.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 09:48
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa

Oh yeah Lisa...thanks for your opinion!!

Servings to me, are a real life way to see this issue. I don't and didn't want to get into the whole counting carbs thing. I like seeing it as serving much better. It works for me!!
So I guess it all depends on how a person needs to be able to see this issue. Counting carbs is not where I needed/wanted to go....but counting servings of particular foods does....

The other aspect for me in maintenance is I've learned that if I'm not going to be burning it, I'd better not be eating those starches. The days when I am not working/walking all those hours, are the days I'll hold back on my starches.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 09:51
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:

The other aspect for me in maintenance is I've learned that if I'm not going to be burning it, I'd better not be eating those starches. The days when I am not working/walking all those hours, are the days I'll hold back on my starches.

I think this is an area where people go astray also.
They think that they can really eat from those higher rungs/higher starch daily. NOT.