Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 07:20

Plan: atkins modified
Stats: 225/162/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Should I go back on induction?

I'm about 5-6 pounds from goal, and would love to get rid of those lbs before the end of July when my brother and his family visit from South Dakota. I haven't seen them in years, and would love to be a bit more svelte and at goal. I seem to keep losing and gaining the same 2 pounds each week.

I was thinking I'd go back on induction levels for 2 weeks to kick start another weight loss momentum. What do you think?

any insight appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 07:27

Plan: low carb-atkins
Stats: 280/170/150 Female 5'8
BF:40/27.5/22
Progress: 85%

I would say go for it.. .It will probably do the trick...Good luck!

but for me I am close to the end number too and I have not been sucessful dropping the last 10+ lbs...I maintained this weight for years now..but I body just wont give up the rest..
I think I would have to stop eating for a week or more to drop 5 lbs..
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 14:50

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchstart
I would say go for it.. .It will probably do the trick...Good luck!

but for me I am close to the end number too and I have not been sucessful dropping the last 10+ lbs...I maintained this weight for years now..but I body just wont give up the rest..
I think I would have to stop eating for a week or more to drop 5 lbs..

I laughed when I read this. I'm still about 15 lbs from goal, and I can't get there no way, no how! People keep trying to tell me that Atkins won't allow me to get too thin.

The only way I can get the scale to budge is by severely restrictlng not only carbs, but calories as well and then I get too hungry and end up overeating.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-09, 06:41

Plan: Atkins ~ DANDR
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:it is going down!
Progress: 0%

I was stuck too, that is why I switched it up and am currently doing M&E, though I have to say it is working very well ~ most likely because I am not eating much at all. But.... I was having cravings like mad before I started. Today is Day that temptations will be high (being a Holiday and all) but since the scale was a lovely NEW number this morning I am stoked on staying on track!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 15:22
Paper beats rock?!?

Plan: Atkins! (Maintenance)
Stats: 178/147.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Daisy, I read in the other thread that you're mostly doing 20-30g a day with the occasional cheat. Is that right? If so, I wonder if induction may not kick start your weight loss so much as incorporating some non-induction items would. For example, I stalled out on the way to goal and I started losing again after I returned to eating yogurt (with an ounce of unsalted sunflower seeds and 60g frozen berries).

Just recently (thanks to too much wine and peanut butter probably!), I'd gained three pounds (was up to 146) and a friend wanted to do induction, so I thought, hey, I'll go back on induction and knock off that extra pound or two. I didn't lose a thing in the two weeks! But as soon I was off induction and reincorporated yogurt (while still in the mindset to avoid overindulging in wine and PB), I again sank back down to 143. All this to say, I think maybe raising carbs (by 10 or 15g or so) might be more effective for some people than lowering them.

I don't know... just a thought.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 06:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeryn
Daisy, I read in the other thread that you're mostly doing 20-30g a day with the occasional cheat. Is that right? If so, I wonder if induction may not kick start your weight loss so much as incorporating some non-induction items would. For example, I stalled out on the way to goal and I started losing again after I returned to eating yogurt (with an ounce of unsalted sunflower seeds and 60g frozen berries).

Just recently (thanks to too much wine and peanut butter probably!), I'd gained three pounds (was up to 146) and a friend wanted to do induction, so I thought, hey, I'll go back on induction and knock off that extra pound or two. I didn't lose a thing in the two weeks! But as soon I was off induction and reincorporated yogurt (while still in the mindset to avoid overindulging in wine and PB), I again sank back down to 143. All this to say, I think maybe raising carbs (by 10 or 15g or so) might be more effective for some people than lowering them.

I don't know... just a thought.

Thanks, Aeryn. I know, this is such a trial and error thing isn't it? I really veered off plan on the holiday weekend, had pizza one night, and a slice of cheesecake another night, and drank too much wine. I was up 4 pounds Monday AM. I have done M&E this week (it's Wednesday) and was down 3 pounds this AM. It really is water.
I dunno, I'm going to stick with the M&E this week, I think, and see if I can get back down to my lowest (still 2 lbs from there, I'm 166 this AM) and then once I'm back at my lowest, it'll be a trial and error from there to see if I can get down to 160. At this point I just don't know. I'm sure I can get there, just don't know if it will be in 3 weeks.
BUT, my boyfriend basically told me not to lose any more weight. HE liked me 10 pounds ago.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 08:29
Paper beats rock?!?

Plan: Atkins! (Maintenance)
Stats: 178/147.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisywench
BUT, my boyfriend basically told me not to lose any more weight. HE liked me 10 pounds ago.

Aww, that's lovely. Takes a wee bit of the pressure off, doesn't it? You're so close to goal anyway, you must look fabulous.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 10:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeryn
Aww, that's lovely. Takes a wee bit of the pressure off, doesn't it? You're so close to goal anyway, you must look fabulous.

It definitely does that, you're right. It's just so funny that once you're "thin" you notice even a 2 lb weight gain. Goes right to my belly and my thighs.

I guess I have to find a happy place for both myself and him. He's just upset because my once DD "girls" are now a C-Small D.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-09, 07:21

BF:

Well, this AM I saw a new number on the scale, so I'm back in losing mode. 3 pounds till my original goal, then I'll maintain for a while and see how it settles. I figured out this AM it's taken 11 weeks to lose 5 pounds, really lose them, not just see it once and get back up again. GAH. Oh well.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-09, 00:42

Plan: LC re-start
Stats: 139/139/120 Female 166cm
BF:

Thought I would jump in here too as I'm only a couple of pounds away from goal but seem to be gaining and dropping the same pound over and over.. trouble is I notice a real difference between being 121 and 119 and feel a lot better at 119. What do you think I should do to get the scale to move down again instead of continuing to do the 2 pound yo yo???

I've thought about dropping cheese for a week?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-09, 08:28
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilozzi
Thought I would jump in here too as I'm only a couple of pounds away from goal but seem to be gaining and dropping the same pound over and over.. trouble is I notice a real difference between being 121 and 119 and feel a lot better at 119. What do you think I should do to get the scale to move down again instead of continuing to do the 2 pound yo yo???

I've thought about dropping cheese for a week?

Good idea on dropping your calories for a week by not eating cheese.

FWIW, it does appear to many that maintenance is all about gaining and losing the same few pounds over and over and over....its been that way for me for a few years now.
I too feel it if I am up a couple of pounds.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-09, 09:29

Plan: LC re-start
Stats: 139/139/120 Female 166cm
BF:

I eat approx 1200 cals per day, rarely above 1500. If I drop the cals to less than this would it not be too low?