Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-17, 17:35
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default Sweet mouth syndrome from whey protein?

Never noticed this before, but it lasts a long time. Sweet tasting saliva can't be washed or brushed away. Sometimes wakes me at night so I drink water. Only happens on days I use a protein shake as part of the evening meal. Starts about 2-3 hours later. Blood sugar is always normal.

Checked Google and it's apparently a common side effect among the fitness community. Might be related to Keefer, the only thing that's changed, but others aren't using it. Also doing longer fasts. Not ketosis breath, I know that metallic taste, and this is only after the "Body Fortress" shake I have been using for years. I checked the ingredients, still the same basic formula. Has some AS, no aspartame. I mix it with water and cream as usual. Anyone else?

Going to have one with dinner this evening and time the effect.
Plan to switch to pure whey next time I buy and see if the strange effect disappears.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-17, 16:16
Grease is the word!

Apparently it's kefir that causes it somehow by changing the mouth flora and crowding out the bad bacteria. Possibly why this dental visit was almost tartar free and no dreaded "deep cleaning" required after the Dr checkup?
Could also be the essential oils "healthy mouth blend" I started about the same time. Not sure, but I ordered more. Way cheaper than dentures or implants!
Fasting more/longer could also be contributing due to deeper ketosis?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 06:54

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I've read recently (on Dr. Fung's website) that whey can spike insulin. Here's one quote:

Quote:
This is similar to the effect of dietary proteins seen in the last post where whey protein caused the greatest increase in insulin, but also the greatest feeling of satiety. In that study subjects were given equal calorie portions of egg, turkey, tuna or whey. The greatest insulin effect was seen with whey protein. However, subjects were then given an all you can eat buffet after ingestion of the protein, and monitored for amount eaten. The amount of food consumed after whey protein was significantly less than with egg or turkey..

Who knows? Maybe because it increases insulin, there's a sweet aftertaste? Just guessing here.

Here's one article from his site: https://intensivedietarymanagement....al-obesity-xxv/
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 15:25
Grease is the word!

An increase in Insulin will or should, lead to a drop in blood sugars.