Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-11, 05:04

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 160/150.6/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Will carbs always make me feel sick now?

I have about 10 more pounds to lose. For the most part, I'm not really interested in grains or sugar. I gave up wheat before low-carbing, as a matter of fact, because it makes me bloat out. And sugar is a no-brainer waste of calories.

BUT, in thinking about maintaining, it does bother me that I feel sick if I eat "bad" carbs.

I'm thinking about things like being at a wedding, and eating a small piece of wedding cake. Social stuff like that.

Will I always feel sick when eating this stuff now? Like I said, I do not intend to make this stuff a regular feature of my diet - I'm talking 3 times a year or something, when social situations arise.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-11, 08:30

Plan: General LC (was Atkins)
Stats: 168/145.8/155 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:32%/24%/?
Progress: 171%

I can't eat more than one bite of things like cake. My stomach says NO. It's just too sugary after being off of sugar for so long.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-11, 08:41
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatin_meat
I have about 10 more pounds to lose. For the most part, I'm not really interested in grains or sugar. I gave up wheat before low-carbing, as a matter of fact, because it makes me bloat out. And sugar is a no-brainer waste of calories.

BUT, in thinking about maintaining, it does bother me that I feel sick if I eat "bad" carbs.

I'm thinking about things like being at a wedding, and eating a small piece of wedding cake. Social stuff like that.

Will I always feel sick when eating this stuff now? Like I said, I do not intend to make this stuff a regular feature of my diet - I'm talking 3 times a year or something, when social situations arise.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Yes, I have a few years(7yrs to be exact) of experience with this.
And yes, I still went to a wedding in September, had a little bit of wedding cake and 1 piece of bread...and felt very ill the next day.
I believe that when we eat clean and then put this crap back into it, even in a small way, we'll feel it. I know that I feel it and it doesn't feel good at all.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-11, 08:46
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Yes, I have a few years(7yrs to be exact) of experience with this.
And yes, I still went to a wedding in September, had a little bit of wedding cake and 1 piece of bread...and felt very ill the next day.
I believe that when we eat clean and then put this crap back into it, even in a small way, we'll feel it. I know that I feel it and it doesn't feel good at all.

Totally agree.

The question being.....if you know it impacts you negatively, why would you want to eat the <blank>.

Not all carbs may affect you the same way. You're an experiment of 1.

I can eat a small amount of sugar, but wheat such as pasta makes me ill. I haven't had pasta in over 2 years--the last time I had it I was sicker than a dog. It's just not worth it.

Hope that you find your way.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 16:25

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 208/170.2/170 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

I make it a point to eat a ton of carbs on one particular day of the year, at the peak of my stress cycle and in a party atmosphere. (At our annual fundraiser.) Basically I get drunk on sweets. The hangover lasts longer than an alcohol hangover (2 days) but it usually gets it out of my system. The stress release makes it worth it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 17:04

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

I get gas from carbs....embarrishing smelly gas, so it really makes me rethink if it's worth it.