Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 07:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/157.8/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default The Glycemic Index

I've recently fell off the wagon and in the process, gained about 10 lbs. I felt like I 'needed' something; began to feel deprived and like I wasn't getting anywhere anymore. I made a personal decision the other day. I am no longer focused on my weight (although, I'll watch it.... just not with such an unhealthy concern about it as before).... instead, I am focused on my health. I'm choosing foods that are low on the glycemic index and good for intestinal health (similar to the later phases of Atkins, actually). I'm eating more yogurt and fruit and veggies and I think I will add some pumpernickel bread next week. Not sure if I'll lose weight or not (but I will watch to make sure I don't put it on). I'm also doing a parasite cleanse... I'll also have to see if that is effective or a waste of time and money. I was tired of making special dishes for myself. The entire family can eat these foods. Next week I also plan to make some ham and beans. I think this is something I can live with more comfortably... just watching my portions of carbs while choosing the right foods. Meat is just not my thing in this quantity. I've never been big on meat so this gives me more freedom.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 19:58

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Hi JJJ

regarding cleanse for parasite, i think your going to waste your money...cause it did for me and among others...maybe one day you might want to read the book Fat Flush cause it does cleanse your insides...one thing i do is first thing in the morning before anything enters my stomach i have hot water with have of a lemon juice and before going to bed the same...if you want to cleanse your liver that is the best thing to do...i would watch the ham cause it always has preservative...

if you want to read more on GI you can check out Weigh In...just below where you posted...I do also the GI and if you go in the Weigh In you can read what you need to know...Lou is the right person also to ask question Im sure she wouldnt mind..she lost a lot of weight on GI...and it is the good way to eat...

catch you later
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 08:32

Stats: 163/157.8/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

(Caution... lots of lengthy rambling about things that may interest only me .... sorry)

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Well, I'm having symptoms of parasite infestation. I have been to several different doctors over the years trying to figure things out and I don't want to go into the nasty details but I'm fairly certain (knew for a long time but tried to deny it). Whether this will do anything or not, I don't know but I've got to give it a try. It's not expensive and I've also studied herbs for the past 14 years and if the herbs listed are quality and harvested at the correct time, this product should work for cleansing parasites. I've also been drinking lemon water... lemon juice, water, and splenda. I drank it all the time as a child, that was our 'lemonade' instead of this powdered crap that you buy today.

Thanks again, it's good to know that others are also doing the GI thing. I screwed up last night (my place of employment is killing me ) and had a couple chocolate chip cookies but it's not something that I'm going to do everyday. I can resist everything but temptation

You're probably right about the parasite cleanse. I'll let you know in three weeks. The product I chose was Parastroy which is inexpensive but looks to contain the appropriate herbs and includes enzymes, etc. Of course, if they're all low quality or old or processed incorrectly, then it's all in vane. I've used herbs for allot of different things over the years and I'm a huge advocate of intelligently, knowledgeably, and carefully seeking natural alternatives to medications when possible. I use grapefruit seed extract when I or my kids begin to get ill (works AWESOME!!!!). Periodically, when there is something going around, I add home-made Echinecea extract to my morning coffee (yeah... coffee's bad for me.... it's on my list of nasty habits to work on ). When there's a bout of head-lice at school (I work with kids too), I add a little tea tree oil to our shampoo... also works great with dandruff and scalp itch. Before moving to this home, we had over 50 varieties of herbs in our garden (now rebuilding). So anyway, this seems a natural approach for me to try to remedy this very aggravating health issue... if I lost any weight from it, it would merely be an extra bonus it is most definitely not what prompted me to try it. Too bad I couldn't gather the herbs myself to assure their quality And you know that if this doesn't work, more herbs are on my list to play with... no more doctors... I'm done paying ridiculous amounts of money and seeing no results. So anyway, a healthy diet and some healthy added herbs couldn't hurt. If I wasted my money, it wouldn't be the first time.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 20:31

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 398/391/299 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hello:

Just wanted to say that I also went from doing atkins to eventually following a more GI diet after feeling very similarly to you on Atkins.

I LOVED IT! I have to say thought that I did a more atkins friendly version of the plan in that the carbs that I ate were still less than what is allowed on the GI plan. And I still stuck to my LC/WW tortillas and my LC pasta. I did SOME reduced fat dairy products (went to 1% milk, FF feta and 2% cheese). I ate lean meats (with a couple slices of bacon every 2 weeks or so) and fruits and veggies that were atkins friendly (stayed away from corn, carrots etc.).

My loss was about 4 pounds/week (with exercise)...thought I'd mention that even though I know you are not going to be focusing on weight loss anymore.

There are TONS fo good recipes here for GI...if you can't find them let me know and I'll send you the link.

Good luck and I wish you nothing but success!

Star
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 09:08

Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny
Hi JJJ

regarding cleanse for parasite, i think your going to waste your money...cause it did for me and among others...maybe one day you might want to read the book Fat Flush cause it does cleanse your insides...one thing i do is first thing in the morning before anything enters my stomach i have hot water with have of a lemon juice and before going to bed the same...if you want to cleanse your liver that is the best thing to do...i would watch the ham cause it always has preservative...

if you want to read more on GI you can check out Weigh In...just below where you posted...I do also the GI and if you go in the Weigh In you can read what you need to know...Lou is the right person also to ask question Im sure she wouldnt mind..she lost a lot of weight on GI...and it is the good way to eat...

catch you later

I can't seem to find a place called "Weigh In". Could you please post a link? I ordered the 'Sugar Solution' book & I think it's basically GI, so I am interested in learning more about this GI diet.
I was Atkins WOE since 2004, but sort of went on a binge since Dec. I was just SO hungry for fruit & grain. I'm hoping with this GI diet I will be able to have those things. Have to do something. My 'fat' clothes are too tight.
Thanks for your help.
Cats
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-08, 18:57

Plan: Almost vegan,lowGI,lowfat
Stats: 270/236/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Thumbs up low gi woe

cats,
I did atkins and lost 30 pounds about 3 years ago...I've never been a huge meat and fat eater, so it was hard for me, and the weight came back.

I've completely changed my woe - I'm almost vegan! Low GI, no meat, whole grains, veggies, fruit, lowfat. Completely do-able for me...in fact, this is a way of life now, I'm not on a diet, and I've lost 12 pounds, without exercising. I eat eggs only occasionally, as well as cheese only occasionally. The food I eat is delicious! And it's no problem eating out, either.

My hubby even loves the Morningstar Farms faux sausage (great price at Costco) better than the real thing, and he's a carnivore!

I'm eating moderate carbs...about 120 a day. I'm diabetic...my blood sugar is down, and I went from having high blood pressure even on my meds, to 100/60, no meds!!

Things work differently for all of us, but if you miss your grains and fruit, you might look up Dr. Neal Barnard's Program (even if you aren't diabetic, it's healthy) at: http://www.nealbarnard.org/diabetes_book.htm

Also, very similar, is: http://www.diabetesmiracle.org/

I'm thrilled with these programs; they work for me. Hope you find what will work for you.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-08, 17:31
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 174/166.0/135 Female 67
BF:32/30/20
Progress: 21%

How fast do you typically lose weight on the GI? For example how much would you typically lose within a month?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-08, 15:14

Plan: traditional foods
Stats: 131/131/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 0%

Fats lower the glycemic index so if you're eating carbs like potatoes, rice, etc., then put lots of butter, coconut oil, etc. on them and you instantly lowerd the glycemic index.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-08, 01:28

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 195/162/155 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 83%

That is how I eat now and I have lost 21 pounds in the past month or two and i work out real hard too though. About 10+ hours of cardio and weights per week.