Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 18:12

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II IS-BOAG
Stats: 174/155/120 Female 5'2"
BF:34%
Progress: 35%
Default spaghetti squash and cauliflower help...

#1 - i microwaved a spaghetti squash because i was using it in a savory dish and did not want caramelization to take place. i cut the squash, removed seeds and placed face down in glass dish, covered and steamed 15 minutes or so. my problem is that it was still sweet. i used to do this frequently with SS and wonder if it was the size or variety that may have been the cause of the extra sweetness. any ideas?

#2 - i thought to turn cauliflower in to risotto style dish. grated cauliflower, sauteed onion and garlic. then sauteed cauliflower--got a nice golden color to it. (hi heat i get 16000 btu on one gas burner) added chicken stock - reduced, added butter and romano cheese to thicken. i thought it turned a little cabbagy and was just a slight bit wet. so i am thinking, perhaps reduce stock before adding? or perhaps i should squeeze cauliflower first to remove any extra moisture? any ideas?

thks ali
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 20:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
my problem is that it was still sweet.

It could be very fresh. Usually fresher squashes taste sweeter. If you want something "stringy" and not sweet, try shredded cabbage or zuchinni instead. Also, when you live without sweets, you are better able to taste the natural sweetness in foods.
Quote:
i thought it turned a little cabbagy and was just a slight bit wet.

Cauliflower can't absorb moisture like rice so no matter what you do, it won't be risotto-like. It's better to make fried "rice" out of cauliflower because the moisture will evaporate. Good for you for trying though!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 08:15

Talking thanks karen

i might plant my own squash this year in the garden so i can make jam out of it--my garden is taking on a whole new outfit with low carbing. my vegetable repertoire is a little different these days.

thks for your advice

ally
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 22:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/155/120
BF:????
Progress: 46%

Hi AllysonneV,

I'm also planting squash in my garden this year. After spending 10 bucks on one in the grocery store I decided to keep some seeds and they are a couple inches tall already. I've never heard of making jam out of squash before! Do you use zuccini or spagetti squash or other? I would love the recipe for it if you wouldn't mind. I do alot of canning every year, but this year I will have to make some changes!

I would greatly appreciate it, Thanx Nic
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 09:21

Default jam

This is like making butternut, pumpkin or apple butter.

spaghetti squash
splenda to taste
1 cinnamon stick
6 allspice berries
4 whole cloves

Boil water in stockpot, add spices and cut the squash in pieces place in the boiling water. Cook until tender, and cool. Remove any spices, skin and seeds.

Put strands of squash in pot, add water to come half way up squash, bring to a boil and cook until the mixture is thick and reduced. Add Splenda Pourable to taste. This really depends on how sweet you want it and how many carbs you can afford. Splenda has 24 carbs for a cup. When most of the liquid is evaporated (like apple butter) place in canning jars and seal as usual.

An alternate method is to bake the squash - and then boil it down. It gives the squash a more caramelized taste.

Good Luck - Ally

if you have any great canning recipes - feel free to share. I do dills, and fruit butters. I just made a strawberry jam SF! it is very nice. i used to make watermelon rind--but its too sweet to make now.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 17:48
Registered Member

That sounds awsome thanx!

Have you ever grown spagetti squash before? If so.....got any tips? I love the stuff! I haven't done any low carb canning yet so I don't have any ideas yet. I do dills and have about 120 cucumber plants started (don't ask me why so many...I have no idea!). I guess I can use pretty much the same recipe as last year hey???

Thanx again!!! Nic
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 10:17

Default growing squash

hi nic - no tips on growing spaghetti squash--i never have done it. doesn't sound too hard though--like most other winter squashes. looking at my johhny's seed catalogue and it shows 88 days to harvest.

do you grow other winter squashes? i too am doing my pickles this year. i make SF ketchup to can. nice to have on hand.

ally
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 16:26
Registered Member

Hey Ally,

No I have never grown winter squash (unless zuccini or pumpkins are winter squashes?). This is only my second year having a garden, I think I had beginners luck last year. I sure would love to have a recipe for you SF ketchup....if you wouldn't mind!?! I have a freezer full of tomatoes from last year I have to get rid of and already have lots of salsa.

Thanx one again!!! Nic
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 16:47

Default ketchup recipe

ok this is the one i like the best - it can be made 2 ways;
with ground spices or whole spices -your choice, if using whole you have to strain them out before finishing the ketchup. if you use ground it becomes almost a bit like BBQ sauce - which is great too.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ketchup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 100 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sauces, Dressings, Condiments

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups tomato puree
1/2 tb olive oil
1/4 cup onion chopped
1/2 teaspoon cloves (or 6 whole)
1/2 teaspoon allspice (or 6 whole)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or 1 whole stick)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
to taste splenda

heat olive oil in heavy saucepan, sweat onions, then add all ingredients except splenda. bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, simmer for 1 hour. remove spices if using whole ones. continue to simmer until thick like ketchup. remove from heat, add splenda and can as usual.

i calculate about a carb per tablespoon, but that depends on how much splenda you add. i prefer it tangy.

ally

Last edited by AllysonneV : Thu, Apr-17-03 at 16:52.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 16:02
Registered Member

Hey Ally,

Thanx for the awsome recipes, I haven't made the ketchup yet but plan to on my next days off. There's a bunch of us low carbing at work so I'll bring some for them!

Is that your pug in your picture on your post? CUTE!! I love pugs we had one growing up, we named him Winston because he had a droopy face like Winston Churchill. My step mom has 2 pugs. If you do a search for Pandachuck the Nelson vetrinary hospital will come up and there is a big article about how one of them got diabetes.

Thanx again!! Nic