Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 01:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/201/112 Female 160cm
BF:46% (oh my god!)
Progress: 33%
Default A Current Affair

Did anyone see the article on A Current Affair about low carb?

Some research has been done by Deakin University lambasting low carb diets.

They drew on cases such as a 16-year old girl who apparently died because of low carb. According to the researchers, 60 deaths worldwide have been attributed to Atkins.

They also said most carb devotees were lethargic, lacked concentration and had high fat counts. Well, I can only speak for me but I have more energy than I did as a teenager, my work output has improved (both in quality and quantity) and my body fat has decreased by 10% since starting.

I wonder if these researchers just researched the bad - after all, they could have come to this forum and found thousands of people for whom low carb works.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 17:48

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

sigh - I didnt see it but its about average for media coverage re LC..... . They love to report on how all we eat is meat, nothing else.

I agree with all you say and honestly believe that I am much healthier since LCing. I think us LCers are ahead of popular thinking and that in the future we will be vindicated.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 21:28

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

here's the article, make sure you vote!!

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/stories/1596.asp

BTW the dude from deakin, he is a manager/executive of the company that is under the weblinks. interestingly it is a fat stripping diet company. the plot thickens.

Last edited by sambalam : Wed, Jan-07-04 at 21:30.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 19:49

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

It's quite manipulative how that poll question is worded
'Are you convinved that low carbohydrate diets CAN be harmful'

Well, Yes, I am actually. I am sure all those ppl on a 'I am just going to eat eggs and meat' diet, who have read nothing at all about low-carbing, are harming themselves. In fact, even Atkins followed religously could be damaging to a person with certain medical conditions.

A more balanced question would be 'Do you think low-carbohydrate diets are generally healthy' or something.

Also, the deakin ppl appear to just be saying that 'in some individuals this diet can be diet. Why isn't this reported!'. Which would suggest that the problem is akin to the mainstream fact that some people with high cholestrol have a now identified gene that means that a low-cholestrol diet will potentially kill them. But then, on the 'Fact sheet', we are told that MOST ppl on a low carb diet don't eat enough vegetables, get enough iron folate or thiaman etc. Which is completely differently from what the Deakin study seemed to be saying!

And where does this stupid vegetable thing keep coming from?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 02:20

Stats: 244/201/112 Female 160cm
BF:46% (oh my god!)
Progress: 33%

It doesn't surprise me that there are 'links' between the 'research' and commerce. Unfortunately, I get little to no support for my eating lifestyle from friends or family, primarily because they believe all I eat is meat and eggs. They are surprised when they learn how much vegetables and nuts I eat. I guess it's up to us low-carbers to pave the way and educate the not so educated about the benefits of this lifestyle.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 04:03

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default I guess i'm lucky

I suppose I am lucky. Because I am diabetic, people never question me eating low carb. Most people don't understand much about it, but they do understand that being a diabetic there are some foods I should not eat, so I never get hassled by anyone. Its so easy to say, sorry, I can't have that cake, I'm a diabetic... shuts them up right away. Well, there has to be some payoff for having this condition, right?

I try to not get frustrated by these kinds of articles, let them think what they want. There is a growing market for our goods, and word will spread itself. The proof is in the lack of pudding, so to speak.

Luscious

40 days cheat free now (how do I get one of those nice .gif pins for this that I see?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 06:36

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I wrote to them, I was so disgusted with the unbalanced reporting. I wish more people would blast them. Interesting about the Deakin guy...didn't know that.

Val
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 21:31

Plan: Life without Bread/Atkins
Stats: 163/160/132 Female 155 centimetres
BF:
Progress: 10%

I know I know - it was toooo pathetic. Just a convenient way for the tosser to get some free advertising! Live and let live I say!

Leesha
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 05:24

Plan: atkins/sbd
Stats: 171/154/121 Female 162cms
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default have a read! my opinion...

I am glad that atkins works for various people. I started the diet in sept 03 and found that i lost something like 9 kilos in the 2 months that i was seriously following the diet. At the end of October i suddenly stalled and stopped at 70kilos.

i stopped the coffee intake and cut out milk completely (i was having about 4 full fat latte's a week). i still remained stalled. i stopped the lc muffin i was having each day and still remained at 70 kilos. i cut out all artifical sweetners (splenda) and still remained at 70kilos. It was at this point also that the energetic feeling i was getting being on this diet suddenly disappaited leaving me feeling tired, lethargic and headachey. It seemed that no matter how low carb/hi protein/hi fat i went the same weight i stayed. my exercise regime could have been a bit more intensive i was using my treadmill 5 times a week walking briskly for 20min intervals. but i figured why have i stopped losing weight when im doing what ive been doing for the last two months and succesfully lost 9 kilos there, yet now all im doing is maintaining.

So i decided to test this diet out. i switched from atkins to a low fat low calorie diet (pasta/rice/veggies etc) and maintained my weight of 70kilos. Christmas came around and i went a little beserk and ate alot more of foods i shouldnt have - sweets etc and you know what?? i maintained my weight of 70kilos. In all honesty after the massive sugary binge i indulged in over christmas the only horrible thing i felt was again tired, lethargic and headachey - but what could i do i eventually felt the same way on atkins anyway!

so i feel that while atkins must work great for some people, and sure i lost 9 kilos due to it i daresay my loss was mostly water and muscle. the amount of fat i consumed during the time was alarming, cream, fat on meat, skin on chicken, almond meal in muffins, liberal amounts of butter...it was freaking me out and obviously for ME not doing me any good due to this stalling.

Because i feel so horrible atm and not sure of which way to go, i have picked up the SBD. As low carb as it is it also promotes low fat and allows you to introduce healthy carbs after a strict phase similar to Induction.

The reason i am replying to this particular thread is because maybe the media is right... for some people anyway. of course you guys will be dissing the media for throwing bad press at your diet..but keep in mind atkins is not the be all and end all for everyone who tries it.

SBD is very messy right now..some days its dont eat this other days its hey you can now have that! the forums (other sites) seem to be in total chaos and im not sure how i will go with this, but i am definitly looking forward to phase two of sbd and adding whole grains, steel cut oats, carrots and potatoes back into my diet - not in abundance but at least knowing they ARE allowed because they ARE healthy carbs!

Be well all, and remember as much as the media can seem to be one sided so too can followers of a particular diet
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 16:40

Plan: don't
Stats: 140/132/132 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambalam
here's the article, make sure you vote!!

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/stories/1596.asp

BTW the dude from deakin, he is a manager/executive of the company that is under the weblinks. interestingly it is a fat stripping diet company. the plot thickens.

I just found this thread.

The guy from Deakin is not manager/executive of a "fat stripping diet company" he is a personal trainer who wrote the book "the Fat Stripping Diet"
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 20:45
Registered Member

Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%

Low carb? What low carb?
As a Paleolithic w.o.e. person I claim that my diet is, as far as can be followed in the modern world, not at all low carb. It is NORMAL carb.

It's what humans are genetically programmed to live on. Calling us (and to a degree Atkins and other w.o.e's ) low carb is a bit like alcoholics claiming that their intake is normal and that social drinkers are on a "low alcohol:" regime.

The arguments in the media and in organizations such as the AMA are conducted in the manner of "when did you stop beating your wife", if you follow me.

Michael Gardner
Bribie Island

Thank God hot house has finished.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 06:18

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

"Thank God hot house has finished."

And that you don't have Pete and Tina for neighbours...

I think you've made a good point re low carb being 'normal carb.' I will remember to use that.
Besides, with all the veg we eat, it isn't that low anyway.

I just tell people that I don't eat sugar and starchy food...that always seems acceptable and pretty well sums it up.

Val
Coolum Beach
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 02:06

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbabe
I just found this thread.

The guy from Deakin is not manager/executive of a "fat stripping diet company" he is a personal trainer who wrote the book "the Fat Stripping Diet"

I think there were two guys -Tim Crowe from Deakin and Shane Bilsborough the trainer who together with his brother, has written a couple of diet books which advocate low fat calorie counting (but he calls it 'calorie density' or some such rubbish) and walking as the his newly discovered exercise! (gee thanks Shane). Anyway this covers it;

http://www.theomnivore.com/How%20lo...crowd%20go.html

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 02:19
Registered Member

Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%

thanks Malcolm for exposing the truth.

I seem to remember the deaths at the time when some dieters were eating nothing else other than that powdered stuff in cans sold by gyms and chemists.

But isn't this typical of the media. I know quite a lot of things (unfortunately none of them money producing) and I have experienced time and time again the frustration when the media run a story on a subject that I am almost an expert on (home brewing, fox terriers, whatever) and they ALWAYS get it dead wrong.

I think it is to do with the nature of journalists. When I was in my early 20's and living in Cardiff, Wales, I shared a house with four trainee journalists, met a lot more, and formed the opinion that you would never trust any journalist with the truth.

Occasionally some of them rise above the pack and shine, but they are the minority.

cheers

Michael Gardner
Queensland
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 03:59
Registered Member

Stats: 238/207/175 Male 5ft9''
BF:??/21/18
Progress: 49%

You should also keep in mind that the show was ACA. The least credible of all those sensationalist "current affairs" programs. Hack journalism at it's best.