Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 16:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/227/146 Female 62 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 0%
Default Suddenly CAN'T lose weight!/PCOS dx'd 15 yrs

Hey all!

I have PCOS as well - was dx'd when I was 20. We have three children from 2 pgs, both from extensive fertility treatments. I lost 26 lbs in six wks of LC (Atkins) about 7 years ago but now, it seems like no matter what I try, I don't lose anything. I have to get back on Atkins but I'm struggling with the mental aspect of it. So, I'm here trying to set up recipes for next week and a grocery list to get me through.

Since the first of the year, I have been going to the gym 5x/wk. Cardio 5x/wk and strength training 3x. This is HUGE considering I haven't done any form of exercise beyond housework and child chasing in six years. Problem is, I have not lost a pound....I've actually gained. And now, I am not eating more than usual. I am actually eating better - I am eating something small for b'fast, at least 5 cups of salad for lunch with lean protein and a single portion supper - usually a protein (like chicken breast), vegetable and sometimes brown rice or a bean.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I don't know what's wrong. I realize that I need to get back on a strict LC diet but even w/o it, I should be losing something. I am extremely frustrated and would appreciate your thoughts.

As an aside, if you're looking for PCOS support beyond diet and exercise, please visit us at Soulcysters - www.soulcysters.net - not trying to take anyone away from this wonderful site, just mentioning it because there are forums for trying to conceive, pregnancy, parenting, pg loss, etc

Thanks for listening!
~K
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 01:06
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Hang in there - it has often taken me six weeks to see any weight change when I'm on a new regime. So if you stick to it, something should loosen up any time now.

You have gained because you put on muscle. Plus, when you do these workouts, your muscles pull in some water. Don't panic! Any day now, you'll notice your pants are looser!

That is a really good amount of exercise - well done!

Dietwise, I want to say one thing: jumping suddenly into full-on Atkins Induction is probably going to punch the wind out of your workouts. It's a big adjustment. So be ready for that to happen - assume everything will feel harder to do for a while.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 13:34

Stats: 227/227/146 Female 62 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Dietwise, I want to say one thing: jumping suddenly into full-on Atkins Induction is probably going to punch the wind out of your workouts. It's a big adjustment. So be ready for that to happen - assume everything will feel harder to do for a while.

Thanks for telling me that. I probably wouldn't have realized what the problem was. I did hit some sort of wall this past week where I couldn't get my legs to function on the elliptical. It was weird. Maybe I'll get a little mercy since I had such a rough week last week! lol

Thank you for your insight. Congratulations on your weight loss - I love your avatar; You're beautiful
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 12:04

Plan: CALP
Stats: 381/381/200 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

I would recommend getting your thyroid checked out as well. It can make it almost impossible to lose weight if the thyroid is out of whack. I find a lot of women that have PCOS also have thyroid issues. I know I do! Good luck and great job with the exercise!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 12:48

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Despite all of the propaganda, exercise is not the magic bullet for weight loss it's touted to be. When I started exercising my weight loss slowed considerably. The body holds on to more water for repairs as I understand and muscle is denser as others have pointed out.

Janine
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-07, 12:21

Plan: trying the blood type one
Stats: 176/168/137 Female 5'5"
BF:in denial
Progress: 21%

If you have started a new exercise regimen, you may be gaining muscle at a faster pace than you are losing fat and then your weight stagnates or increases. Go by how your clothes are fitting--muscle takes up 1/3 the space fat does so your clothes may actually fit the same and you will notice that they will start to fit better. Weigh once a week and no more, under the same conditions otherwise you psych yourself out with numbers-- and keep up your good work, it takes a while for your body to adapt and as you make stronger muscles you will initially hold water as they repair. It sounds like you are making good choices and hopefully you are feeling healthier!