Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What are your Cholesterol Results?
Great -HDL, LDL and Triglycerides all better 72 51.80%
Better but no major changes 21 15.11%
No change 4 2.88%
Results were worse than before 42 30.22%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 01:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/138.4/135
BF:33/27/24
Progress: 87%
Default Cholesterol

My weight is down, I'm feeling great but still getting a lot of grief from family members about the long term effects of LCing. Mainly that I am clogging my arteries with all this fat.

I am really interested to see other peoples cholesterol results. I have had 2 appointments so far to have blood work done and have not been able to keep these appointments. I am currently rescheduled for July 3 and determined not to let other commitments get in my way.

Anyone out there want to share their results? Good or bad.

Thanks

Vonnovich
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 04:44

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Vonnovich!

Here's a link that shows my stats from last fall and again this spring. Keep in mind that last fall I had been low carbing for about 5 months, so my stats didn't improve immediately. I made very few changes in my diet between fall and spring but by then things had fallen nicely into line. Check it out here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=39277

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 06:48

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

My numbers didnt change all that much, but they did change for the better. I had a textbook lipid profile to begin with, my tris went down and my HDL came up slightly. The biggest improvement I saw was in my blood pressure. I was borderline hypertensive at 142/95, now I sit at a comfortable 129/78

My tests were done after 6 weeks of LCing so I am expecting a more dramatic change the next time I go in for a workup.

HTH
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 08:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Prior to LC, my total and ldl cholesterol were in the moderate risk category, and triglycerides were borderline. At the 6-month point, all numbers had come down nicely, and hdl had risen as well. I've been low-carbing for over 2 years now and the numbers continue to drop slightly, and hdl has come up a little bit more. Like Nat, my BP has dropped significantly, from 160/100 to 120/70. You can read more details here.

I'd also like to state that for the most part, my health improvements and weight loss have been the result of the DIET alone, as I'm unable to engage in vigorous exercise.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 08:44
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 220/220/165 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Recent blood work results

I just posted the results of my recent blood work-up in my journal. (Not sure how to add a link to it, let's try http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...0&pagenumber=2.)

I'm very pleased. For the past 4 months I'd been getting so much grief from friends about "what are you doing to your heart and arteries with this diet?", that it feels great to have some hard data with which to gloat and say, "See, I told you this works!!"

day
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 11:04
Registered Member

Default Stalling

Hi Sunnyday

Thanks for the reply and the link worked fine.

I stalled for 2 months and then lost the next 2 lb in 10 days, now I'll see how long it takes for the scales to move again.

While my weight was stalled my BF came down 1% so I guess I was replacing FAT with muscle. Hopefully now I have more muscle, my metabolism has increased and I will continue to loose for a few weeks until it catches up again. Thats my theory on these stalls and my body. Hope this makes sense.

Vonnovich
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 11:49

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Vonnovich,

The last complete blood tests I had done were two years ago, after one month on the Atkins diet. I have an appointment for a complete physical, so I'll let you know how those numbers are.

After a month on the diet, my BP dropped from 150/90 to 120/70, resting pulse was 56, total cholesterol dropped 65 points, HDL up, LDL down, and the cholesterol ratios were perfect. I don't know what my triglycerides were before I started the diet, but they were 67. My doctor, who was not happy that I had chosen an LC WOE, was suitably impressed.

Just last week I checked my BP right after a hard workout with weights and it was 124/77, pulse 63!!! Not bad for a baby boomer with 50 more pounds to lose!

Karla
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 16:55
Registered Member

Plan: Life Without Bread
Stats: 176/172/172
BF:12%
Default Don't Worry About Cholesterol Levels!

There is absolutely NO validity to cholesterol testing as cholesterol levels are constantly fluctuating in the body. A high cholesterol level means nothing in terms of risk for heart disease--so don't worry about it.

Also, the idea that saturated fatty acids "clog" arteries is wrong.

You should read my two articles on low-carb diets at:

http://www.powerhealth.net/protein2001.htm
http://www.powerhealth.net/articles6.htm

Also, Uffe Ravnskov's site is excellent for debunking the myths about heart disease: http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 17:59
Registered Member

Hi DrByrnes

Welcome to this site. Thanks for the articles. I have read them, printed them and added them to my collection.

Half my family (here and overseas) are now on Low Carb diets. So far it is working for everyone. None of us are obese but have all gained a pound a year on low Calorie regims. I've lost 22 years worth! Looking foward to being 10 years lighter by Christmas.

Thanks for the help.

Vonnovich
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 20:36

Plan: Doctor Atkins
Stats: 206/168/170
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi Vonnovich,

This has been a big item for me. My mother and her side of the family has always had the high cholesterol and heart attacks. I have listed my cholesterol test since I have been on Atkins.

I had been on Zocor for high cholesterol for about 5 years. I had started developing muscle aches in my legs and found it was contributed to the zocor.

On 1/3/02 I quit taking zocor all together and have shown significant improvement in triglycerides, a small positive change in HDL, LDL and Total. Considering I am no longer taking any prescribed meds and I feel great with no aches or pains.

I have achieved my goal weight and maintaining it. I plan on keeping track of my cholesterol every 3 to 6 months. My last cholesterol check on 6/29/02 my doctor wanted me to go back on zocor. I just can't justify it with the results I am seeing.

1/3/02
TRIGLYCERIDES 118
HDL (Good) 54
LDL (Bad) 153
CHOLESTEROL TOT 231

3/7/02
TRIGLYCERIDES 71
HDL (Good) 50
LDL (Bad) 149
CHOLESTEROL TOT 213

6/29/02
TRIGLYCERIDES 60
HDL (Good) 57
LDL (Bad) 152
CHOLESTEROL TOT 221

Good luck,

slim2b
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 08:23
Registered Member

Default Cholesterol results

6 Months LC

My results are finally in. Here goes

Total Cholesterol 271
HDL 55
LDL 198
Triglycerides 89

Chol/HDL ratio 4.9
LDL/HDL risk ratio 3.6

Anyone like to comment.

I think the LDL (bad) cholesterol is too high for comfort so will increase fish consumption but I don't know what else I should do...

Any suggestions

Vonnovich
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 220/220/165 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Vonnovich --

Glad you got your cholesterol results back. Even if it's not perfect, it's always better to know where you stand -- and it gives you someplace to go!

You're right, your LDL is too high, as is the Total, but the HDL and triglycerides are in a good range, and those are both important.

My LDL is also too high (although at 124 it's lower than yours, it's still too high for a diabetic -- my MD says it should be below 100). So I'm trying to eat lean cuts of meat, and then add fat if necessary by drizzling with olive oil. Also eating more chicken and fish (but I do love beef!!).

I'll be eager to see if anyone else has any useful tips for lowering LDL.

day
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 11:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/150
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default My cholesterol and metabolic test results

In Feb, 2001, my overall cholesterol was 186. I've been working on weight loss, seriously, since August, 2000. At that time, my cholesterol was 240. I have been LCing about six months. The 186 number is pre-LC. The new numbers at post-LC

Every single measurement is in a good range except CO2. I'm not sure what that is but even that one is just one point below healthy range.

Today I got new test results from my doctor. TOTAL: 172
Chol: 172
Triglycerides: 70
HDL: 43 ideal range is 40-60. This has never been good before!
LDLC: 115

My doc did a comprehensive metabolic panel:
Albumin: 3.8 *** 3.5-4.9 healthy range
Alkaline Phosphase: 72 right in the middle of good range
ALT: 22 ALL OF THESE IN GOOD RANGE, SOME OPTIMAL
AST 18
Calcium: 8.8
Chloride: 110
CO2: 23 . . . this one is low. healthy range is 24-34 so this one isn't all that bad. Does this mean water? The morning of the blood draw I had drunk about sixty ounces of water by 8 a.m. and draw done about 10.
Creatinine 0.7
Glucose: 102 . . . I was deep in ketosis when test done and doing less than 20 carbs daily
Potassium:4.5 Morton's Lite Salt must have done the trick: I have always struggled to keep enough potassium in me
Protein: 7.5
Sodium: 144
Bilirubin: 0.3 WHAT IS THIS? ANYWAY, IT'S IN GOOD RANGE
Urea nitrogen: 13 WHAT IS THIS?

IT ALL LOOKS GREAT. I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF. MY CHOLESTEROL HAS BEEN AS HIGH AS LOW 300'S AND MY GOOD CHOLESTEROL HAS, IN THE PAST, BEEN DANGEROUSLY LOW.

I'd like to tell Jane Brody these test results. Her recent nonsense science article against low carb talked a lot about how bad Atkins is for cholesterol.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 08:40
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I just got my blood test results back. Before I went on a low carb WOE my cholesterol was 211, my LDL was 137 and my triglicerides were 163. After 3 WEEKS my cholesterol is 148, my LDL is 87 and my triglicerides are 114.

Such an amazing change in a short time.

If I wasn't a believer before, I am now.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 06:19

Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%

HDL went up a lot. TGs went down a lot.
LDL went up a little. Total went from 224 to 242.
Am I concerned? No way. Why? Read Dr. Ravnskov's The Cholesterol Myths.

Beware LOW cholesterol.

Sheldon