Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 16:55

Plan: Generic
Stats: 224/161/112 Male 167 CM
BF:
Progress:
Default Oh no - Not another one!

Right - I don't want to start another long debate about stalls and whether its a stall and the best way to overcome it etc. Basically - I'm fairly convinced I've reached a stall, because: over the past year I've been on and the off a LC diet generally 3 or 4 weeks at a time and have continually lost this weight this way and kind of "normalised" to the new weight I've achieved when I go off the diet. However recently I've "normalised" at my current weight from which I can't seem to shift, I've been on the diet for weeks at a time and not really gone down a satisfying amount. What I'm looking for is essentially something I can do to re-kick start the weight loss process, I know I'll probably get flak for suggesting the existence of such a thing, and how I ought to be patient, but I'm sure there is something I can do to hurry up the weight loss. I've seen many ideas floating around such as a meat and eggs fast (sounds dangerously close to innuendo) and having one day in the week to pour in the carbs to prod a lazy metabolism, what is the thing people have found most effective and, dare I say it, the most efficient and fastest way to get over a stall?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-10, 06:48

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

I wrote about my stall busting attempt in my journal. basically I used Atkins shakes as a sole source of nutrition for several days a week, and ate normal LC the rest of the time.

I had some wild swings, but the trend was definitely down. My journal post #32 has a summary.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-10, 10:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/166/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Have you tried to reduced you're calories as well to break through the stall? I find if I stick to 1500 calories max I can get things moving quickly.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-10, 13:55

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybil878
Have you tried to reduced you're calories as well to break through the stall? I find if I stick to 1500 calories max I can get things moving quickly.

Well, as I wrote, the calorie level is low because there are only 160 calories in each shake. Depending on how I felt, I had from 3 to 5 a day, but most often 4. Three is only 480 calories, 4 is 640, and 5 is 800.

It's quite possible that the lower calorie level is at least partially responsible for the end results, or it could be the reduction in carbs (2 net carbs per shake), or some combination.

I try not to get real excited about why things like this work, so much as that they work for me. Human biology is so complex that even people who have studied it for many years, and have decades of education don't really know that much about it. I don't see anyway that rank amateurs like me are going to be able to explain it.