Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-09, 21:46
What a good girl!!!

Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%
Default MCT oil vs. CO

Weird question:

What is the difference between CO and MCT oil. I took CO last year and it made me sick, in the digestive way. Tried coconut bark and even these awesome coconut/nut butter/cocoa things that tasted like peanut butter cups but too many carbs. I would love something in the pill form. Anyone know of one and can anyone tell me which is better, MCT oil or coconut oil? I'm not sure if I can get it down but wanted to learn a bit about it and thought I might add it if I can.

Thanks.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-09, 21:49

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Omega Nutrition makes virgin Coconut Oil capsules. But then I found out that regular organic coconut oil in small doses doesn't bother me. It's the unrefined virgin or extra virgin stuff that makes me sick.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-09, 22:54
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:

MCT oil is derived from CO. Imagine that CO contains, say, 20% MCT oil (don't quote that percentage, as I just made it up out of thin air to use as an example!) MCT oil, however, would 100% MCT oil.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-09, 03:49
What a good girl!!!

can I get MCT oil in pill form? I don't really cook with oils or make mayo. Would the only way to get it in is take a spoonful of it? It sounds interesting. Just remember how much EVCO made me ill but maybe this MCT could be different for me.

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-09, 08:48
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

To my knowledge MCT oil only comes in liquid. I use the NOW Sport MCT in the quart bottle.

I find that mych more than 1 TBS makes me feel nauseated. I use 1 TBS 3-4 times a week in a morning protein shake. (I don't have a protein shake everyday)

I've recently seen some unheard of losses since I incorporated it into my regime. I have changed multiple things with one of them the addition of MCT oil.

NancyLC posted a study re: MCT oil here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=402727
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 07:43

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I use both MCT oil and CO along with coconut milk and cream. When I am actively using them, I do lose weight. I have I just ordered MCT oil...I too use the NOW Sport MCT oil.That has been one of my favorite things that I have added to my lifestyle since beginning low carb. Nausea often accompanies the oils until your tummy grows accustomed to them. It is no big deal, like everything els...it will pass.What I really like about adding these was eating at a multi-Asian restaurant that had Thai duck on special. The duck was deep fried and had a coconut milk sauce over it which was delightful.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-09, 10:45
What a good girl!!!

I'm going to give the MCT oil a try. I think I will get the NOW brand since most of you have had the best luck with it. I don't really drink protein shakes although I have some of the powder. I could mix some in but it's a lot of protein, 25 grams. I would always rather have meat. I think I might have the shakes on days that I don't have meat and when i have meat, I will cook with some of the MCT oil. Thanks for the info everyone.

Lisa
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-10, 08:47
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

#9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-10, 10:39

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hutch, I know this is kinda late but thanks. I have been looking for something like this for a long time.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-10, 12:13
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

This guy has spent a lot of time collecting up and considering the research.
If you are really interested work right through this blog. There is some good stuff there
Anyone thinking of using it for weight loss may enjoy reading this.
Weight-loss diet that includes consumption of medium-chain triacylglycerol oil leads to a greater rate of weight and fat mass loss than does olive oil.

The full text of this isn't online but the findings show that using MCT leads to better outcomes than olive oil.
Medium chain triglyceride oil consumption as part of a weight loss diet does not lead to an adverse metabolic profile when compared to olive oil. Our results suggest that MCT oil can be incorporated into a weight loss program without fear of adversely affecting metabolic risk factors. Distinction should be made regarding chain length when it comes to discussing the effects of saturated fats on metabolic risk factors.