Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 11:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179.5/170.4/155 Female 5'3
BF:don't know
Progress: 37%
Default on vacation,want to eat at this one place,can i do it and then get right back on?

Hi, I'm leaving to go to Gatlinburg,TN Friday. I love it there, well there is this one place I have been dieing to go eat at it's a pancak ehouse and they are really big and good. Do you think it would absolutly ruin me. I started back in duction and Monday will make 2 weeks, and I have only lost 2 pounds on it so far. But hell I figure it's not like I get to go to TN everyday. I would like to enjoy myself while there and I know it's not all about food.It's just this one place.
So any ideas??????????????

Last edited by Lacey O : Sat, Nov-01-03 at 11:12.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 12:15

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Hi Lacey O,
You need to do what feels right for you and makes you happy. For me, I would pass on the pancakes. Didn't you just get over a stall? It may sound silly, but I treat cheating on food the same as cheating on my husband. Just because a cute guy goes by, I don't have to jump him! I made a commitment and I refuse to cheat myself. Whatever. I hope you have fun on your trip. Gatlinburg is beautiful. Good luck.
Marie
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 12:44

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Lacey...I have to agree with Marieshops. You've been agonizing over not losing any weight and now that the scale has started moving downward again, you're considering eating pancakes?
I know some people use a "refeed day" such as you're considering to break a stall, but since you're not technically stalled at this point it just may backfire and bring you back to square one.
I wouldn't do it, but you'll have to decide for yourself if the price that you'll likely pay (weight gain) is worth the indulgence.
You might also want to think about why you would sabotage yourself just when you're starting to make progress towards your goal of weight loss again.

Last edited by Lisa N : Sat, Nov-01-03 at 13:52.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 12:53
Contributing Member

Stats: 216/196/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:beaucoup
Progress: 30%

My problem with using "I don't do this every day" as a rationale is that I can come up with a dozen separate things that I don't do every day, which taken together amount to quite frequent cheats.

Here's a thought: If that pancake house is so good, I bet they have delicious egg dishes, too. You might discover something really good you never knew was on the menu. Or, If you absolutely must have pancakes, maybe they have one of those combos with a few silver-dollar size ones on the side? Or you could have a few bites of someone else's. Either way, then you could just have a taste and the eggs and meat would help keep the GI down so it might not throw you off as much.

In any case it's really about what's more important to you. If the place is really that great, it might be worth starting over again. Then again it might not.

Dorothy
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 12:56
Registered Member

Stats: 161/141/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Pancakes

Being that Gatlinburg is right down the road from me, I *know* there's no place there worth my cheating and undoing what I've accomplished so far. (Even if it is that TOM!)
I finally figured out that when I cheat, I'm only hurting myself.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 13:09

Stats: 193/179.5/160 Male 70"
BF:Lots of it!
Progress: 41%

It may be more beneficial to you to pass on the pancakes. Not necessarily just because of the carbs, but also due to the fact that you are thinking about them. Might get a little more mileage in this case by addressing the craving. Not sure you would, but certainly wouldn't want to deal with any guilt afterwards for a couple a flapjacks.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 14:45
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I have to agree. You've been through a really rough patch lately, and now that you're finally making progress, I'd hate to see you throw it away and have to start over again.

Only YOU can decide if it's more important to eat pancakes or lose weight. Last time it was a few cookies out of frustration, now you are kind of rationalizing it as a special treat... is there a reason you might be unconsiously sabotaging yourself?

I don't have the answers. Only YOU do. And I only speak for myself, but I feel like we've been struggling along with you, and I don't know if I can keep my opinions to myself if you DO go off-plan, then come back complaining again that Atkins has failed you...
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 15:12
Raising My Pitch

Stats: 188/200/150 Female 5'7"
BF:getting lower
Progress: -32%

Today was the annual Kiwanna's Club Pancake Breakfast, and it is really good. It only comes along once a year! My DH brought home two ticket's, and I'm thinking OMG, what was he thinking. (He wasn't) anyway we went this morning. I gave him the pancakes and I had the sausage and cup of coffee. I looked around and watched all those people eating and pouring on the syrup and gusling down the orange juice, and it didn't brother me at all. I just kinda thought, look what they are doing to their bodies. Thank's to my higher power, it didn't effected me at all. Sure hope that means that my Carb. addiction is finally getting better.
Lacey, you can go and have a wonderful time, there are so many beautiful thing to see and do in those georgeous mountains. It doesn't have to revolve around the wrong food to have a good time, and just think how proud of yourself, you'll be when you come home and can say I triumped over temptation. Have a good time sweetie, we are all hoping the best for you. Sylvia
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 15:25

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Pancakes ! Come on , you can do better than that if you're going to take a detour ! ; -D
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 15:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

You should make yourself some low carb pancakes. I like the cream cheese recipe, I also tried the carb smart ones, they were great. I use the divinchi's maple syrup, tastes a little strange, but I personally love it. So treat yourself to this at home, and get yourself an omlette when you go out.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 16:28
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I agree with the above. There will always be something. No you don't get to TN everday. There is also thanksgiving coming up, and that's only once a year. Then theres xmas, new years (where you have to have champagne) and valintines where someone may give you candy, and so on. You have to decide how important weight loss is to you, and if this is the right plan for you, or if you need a less restrictive one.

A while back you were having problems with the fair I think it was, sharing cheese sticks with the children, and a few other high carb cheats.

It seems each time you get on track you start to sabatage yourself somehow.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 16:54
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Are you serious? Sorry to sound bitchy, but you've been complaining for weeks how desperately you want to lose weight. You said only a few days ago you'd do anything necessary to lose it. How despressed it was making you.

Now you're asking if you should have pancakes?

I think the suggestion to do some thinking about why you're so ready to sabotage your efforts is a good one. Maybe you're not in the right place mentally to do LC right now, and that's okay. But this on/off business is only going to bring you down.

So Lacey, do you want pancakes more than you want to be at a healthy weight?

No one here can answer that question for you.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 16:56

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Have read all your posts about not losing, etc. Think you need to decide if you are going to change your way of eating or not. Doing both...low carb/fat and then high carb is unhealthy. Either commit or give it up.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 17:05

Plan: Lower Carb/glycemic foods
Stats: 179.5/163.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Lacey,

I'm going to get railed for this. I always do when I go this route, but here is my suggestion.

Is anyone you are going with going to get the pancakes? I would suggest getting a healthy LC breakfast and taking a taste or two of somebody elses pancakes. This way you don't feel cheated, you've had a taste, but the majority of your breakfast is LC and healthy for you.

(don't shoot me anybody) This route has worked for me in the past. If you think you can control yourself and just have a taste or two, go for it. I would not reccomend a full blown pancake breakfast.

Hugs and have a great time Lacey!

Kristi
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 17:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Kristi, I think that is a good suggestion, but alot of times its unrealistic for people. Usually a little bit turns into alot, sometimes entire weekends of eating junkfood. There are some apple pies sitting in my kitchen. I went to take one bite, then i spit it out. I knew that one bite would turn into eating a piece. But I think it just comes down to whatever it takes to make you not feel deprived. I can know you will feel more deprived after eating those pancakes, because it will cause carb cravings. Treat yourself to something really really good, that is legal, so you wont feel like you are missing out on anything. I know this stuff im saying seems sort of obvious, but this is the mind set that I have to use to keep on track.