Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 11:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%
Default Added foods "prior" to maintenance

I'm just wondering, when we are on OWL, is'nt that the time we are to slowly add in other foods? I know I sure did. But it seems like many have not done that and are now in Mtn, and still not having fruit and some grain products?
I really feel for me cause I had added those things back into my daily diet, that it is part of what makes Mtn so easy for me.

I'm just thinking that, it might be a really good thing for people to do, if they have'nt by now. Cause boy it sure makes eating easier, lol.

Foods I added long before reaching my goal.

Whole grain bread N/wht.F, only 1 slice at a time, (started a 2x week now I can have everyday if I like)
Brown rice,
Small potatoe,
Lot's of different fruits.
Small amounts of oatmeal.

These of course were adding slowly and in small servings.

Cheers Kathy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 11:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/184/129 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Kathy, thanks for the tips.
I am close to reaching my goal and I do wonder how much and how often I can indulge in 'regular' foods.
much to my shame, I do tend to sneak in 'forbidden foods' in small portions everyonce in a while, but I feel that that's what kept me from reaching my goal.
I am looking forward to reaching the point where, like you, i can have a more balanced diet.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 14:49

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I agree alot of people didnt add foods back slowly and are having trouble with maintenance, I am one of them. I have ventured into the Natures Own low carb bread, small apples (1/2 at a time), low carb pastas, spaghetti squash, soy grits, peanutbutter, and SF candy.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:01

Plan: My own
Stats: 120/125/95 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: -20%

can you guys be more specific as to how you added these products in? like which did you do first etc? and do all of you work out- i am a tad embarrased to admit that i work out minimally and i am wondering if this is allowing you all to be more liberal with your carb intake...thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 11:22

BF:

Haha EXERCISE?! Workout?! Me???! Nope I dont..not really at least, my job is somewhat physcial, I need to start exercising though, grr. If you read the DANDR book youre supposed to add foods in as you move through the phases. Go to his website www.atkins.com and have a look around. Even though youre not on Atkins, it wouldnt hurt to look and see the things he hadds in first...
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 23:09

BF:

Well when youfollow atkins, once your finished induction, you are suppose to add carbs at the rate of 5 grams a day per week, til you stop losing, then you draw back 5grams, to find out what is a good level for you.Like El says the book does list them, I can't really remember off hand other than, adding soft cheeses, then berries, nuts, but not all at once, take it slow, so you can track what might be too high for you at thta stage. It's kind of difficult to advise you too much about it, when I'm not sure what plan you are following, I'm pretty much just an Atkins P.P person, lol
Cheers Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 00:00

BF:

kathy- thanks so much for your advice. i shall follow it and see what happens! by the way, if you have lc tortillas or lc bread- do they stall you? if not, what bread do you recommend. i have had these WONDERFUL bagels by low carb emplorium and am wondering if their carb count is correct (2.5 carbs per huge bagel)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 10:15

BF:

Its probably 2.5 carbs for HALF the bagel. They like to be sneaky, so take a second look. If it really is 2.5 for the whole thing they prolly taste like crap Gluck!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 10:53

BF:

no, i checked- it tastes AWESOME and it is 2.5 for the whole thing. it tastes just like real bagels...probably way too good to be true...sigh
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 09:05

BF:

Hi satihap, good to see you here, as for bread I just buy one that has no flour in in only grains and sprouts, check at a natural food store

LCTortilla, nope they are too expensive for me, plus I would rather just stay with real everyday foods thta I can fit into my carb counts. Mostly cause, for me, I do not want to be tied to any
Quote:
Diet type foods
I want this to just be a way of life for me, so to me buying special foods is like following a diet., Just my funny way I guess

Cheers Kathy
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 09:13

BF:

thanks for the reply- i buy the food for life bread.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 00:57

Plan: MINE
Stats: 143/112.4/119 Female 162cms (63+inches)
BF:35/?/20
Progress: 127%

I am still doing an induction style eating plan though I do eat strawberries, tofu and nuts from time to time. I get rotten allergies so I have been a bit fearful of introducing back foods especially the higher carb ones. I know it is wise to do one food at a time and yesterday I did a whole lot of reading on the Atkins site for all the different food eating stages.

Going through the Atkins four phases does make a lot of sense for succeeding with this eating plan and then maintaining for life!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 09:54

BF:

Hey Trisha! Its soo soo soo important to start adding back foods now and go through the 4 phases. I am sure there are benefits healthwise that someone like LadyBelle could point out but the mental thing is just as important. When you reach goal and still havent added any foods, and then cant stop losing and are putting your health at risk and suddenly need to eat more carbs its a huge mental block. Especially since you feel *so great* about the new you, and if youre still enjoying and not bored with the foods youre eating. I know people on here have gotten frustrated with me over it. I am well below goal because I didnt move through the phases and because I LOVE the foods that are *okay* on Induction. I hope you chose to move into OWL or premaintenance soon.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 07:11

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

It is important to add foods in and not necessary to wait until you are at goal... yet I see so many who do wait. The key IS to follow the ladder to bring things back in... with emphasis that the first thing you add is ... MORE VEGGIES! Dr. A does note though... that some foods will be a problem for people and you need to cut them out if that is so. Many cannot handle whole grain products or more cheese - or they begin gaining weight or have unwanted side affects - such as cravings or allergic reactions. So what may work for you by way of additions - may not work for someone else. Just my observation on this.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 10:34

BF:

Hi, DD yep I agree thats why I started this thread, Wow are our stats close or what, LOL

Cheers Kathy