Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 11:09

Plan: Tried Atkins..now SP maybe
Stats: 226.5/221.5/145.0
BF:48/46/25?
Progress: 6%
Default Why so much more weight loss on Atkins than SP?

I have noticed that the posts on the ATKINS site always has tremendous weight loss for people, but the SP site seems to have people on the plan for months and not losing much at all.

I just got the SP book and have not had a chance to sit and read it yet, but I am concerned with the prospect of such extremely poor results with such dramatic lifestyle changes...

I "played" with Atkins and did feel a big difference in my energy levels, etc. I was a baby and did not stick to it enough...missing veggies toooo much. So when I heard of the SP allowing 15 to 30 carbs per meal depending on activity versus 20 carbs for the day, my vegometer perked right up.

THEN I found this site by doing a SP search on AOL and after ordering the book THEN started reading.

Now I am getting confused and leary of doing this versus that versus...HELP....

cosmo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 12:58

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Just speaking for myself ...

I never tried Atkins but the few people I knew that did try Atkins lost a great deal of weight. Only they couldn't stick to it because it was too limiting and when they went off they regained all or most of the weight they had lost.
TSP incorporates everything into her program. I was on WW for at least two years and was unable to shed any pounds after the first 5 or 7. I've been on TSP for about two months and am 2 lbs. away from my goal weight. But even better than that, I don't suffer cravings anymore and I am not constantly hungry. I can have almost anything I want to eat, I just have to watch the portions - but you have "portion control" in any diet. And the food tastes really, really good versus the low-fat, no-taste diet I was on previously.
She states in her book that this program is for a healthy lifestyle rather than a weight loss. I haven't felt better in years - honestly.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 16:04

Default Thank you for sharing the info..I had read..sm

some posts and it seemed that some actually gained weight and that terrifies me...I am heavy enough.

I did WW a couple years ago and lost close to 50 pounds, gaining back 20 over the past 3 years. My sister has done really well, loosing almost 40 since Sept or Oct...she is 2 pounds from her goal weight.

I got discouraged on WW. I was working out 5 days a week, staying on the low end of my points and the most I ever lost was a pound at a time. It seemed to be taking just forever to take it off...

while I do know that the slower the better, I just felt there was something WRONG.

I guess I will read her book and see. I had actually thought of doing a bit of a combo, doing his intro for the two weeks to help really kill the cravings and then just incorporating more carbs for veggies.

I miss veggies the most.

Thank you for taking the time to reply back. This site is so great.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 16:58

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Well, you see, it's like this, cosmosis........

SP is a healing program, and you essentially eat the same way when on the healing portion of the plan as you do in the maint. portion.

Our bodies, especially ones that have yo-yo dieted a lot, or even just recently, will need time to heal.

I was not really a yo-yo dieter, but rather a carbohydrate consumer. I yo-yo'd a couple of times in my teens and twenties, but after that, it was pretty much a steady gain, carbing out the whole way. After all, pasta and bread is *ehem* good for us, right?

But I haven't yo-yo'd in the recent years, just gained a tremedous amount of weight in the past 8 years. And in that time, I grew accepting of the way I looked, though hated the way I felt and the limitations I was faced with being over 350 pounds! I am/was (I guess "was" is the better choice now?) insulin resistant, and no doubt on my way to diabetes.

When the Good Lord led me to Dr. S's book, I knew my answer had finally come! YES! I needed to HEAL FIRST--my weight wasn't really my first consideration. I was actually just concerned with not letting the food control me anymore. I wanted to eat "unto the Lord." At least that's my perspective.

I went full-force on the SP (see journal for details) and, as a result, the weight started coming off immediately. Perhaps it's b/c I am so large, it cain't help but come off? Or perhaps it's b/c I've never really restricted my fat intake, save a time or two in my 20s.

For whatever reason, this program is helping me to shed the pounds so that I can have my life back again.

I had a stall for a long time a few weeks ago. It was like hovering inthe same place for like 2 months I think. Yikes! Yeah, the measurements dropped a bit, but I was thinking to myself I hope this isn't where my body wants to be!

But 2-3 weeks ago, the scale moved again. And the body is again beginning to shrink!

And it will happen for you, too.

But if losing the weight is you main concern (understandably so, we all have different priorities, that's what makes us individuals), then perhaps trying the SP without the addition of the starchy carbs for a week or two will jump start your weight loss.

The one thing I love about SP is that she encourages WHOLE FOODS, not processed crap. Atkins allows low-carb, but processed foods and things with artificial sweeteners (which for those sensitive folks like myself wreaks havoc with cravings and weight gain!). I would recommend eating whole foods as much as ya can, friend. You can do a modified SP program by simply NOT adding any "extra" carbs, just eating the "allowed carbs" as you wish. After all, it was the veggies you miss, right? There ya go.

I'm sorry to be so long, but I wanted to share that with you. I know you will get more input here over this week. I wish you well, looking forward to sharing ideas and inspirations with you.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 17:48

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Cosmo, TSP can be slow and some people don't start losing for a long time or they lose a bunch at the very beginning then stall for a while. But the thing is that you are changing the way you eat for life.

I love TSP. I have reduced my body weight by 29 pounds, most of it in the beginning. I am currently losing at about 1 to 2 pounds a month, although I also just recently broke a 7-weeks stall.

The thing is, you said that you couldn't stay with Atkins because you missed veges. I am able to lose weight eating foods like Chicken in Black Bean Sauce with Chinese Long Beans or Chicken a la Mexicaine. Both of those dishes use wine as the sauce base. The Black Bean Sauce is made with garlic, ginger and fermented black beans. The Mexicaine has canned tomatoes in it. Both dishes have a total of about 30 grams of carbs in them. Most of that is "non-starchy" vegetables that are "free" on TSP.

I tend not to eat starchy vegetables very much and don't eat as many countable carbs as Dr. S. suggests because I eat so many non-starchy veges.

It is so great! It is sustainable. And it is the way I will eat for the rest of my life, even after I have attained my "optimum configuration" in 2 or three years.

That's the biggest thing we have to do -- have patience and think in the long term. I want to live longer and healthier. I don't want my senior years to be riddled with pain and illness. I fully intend to have that kind of life in part because I am low carbing.

Sorry for the diatribe.

;-Deb
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 02:58
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi Cosmo,

As you can see, I follow the Atkins plan, but I am losing weight very slowly. In fact I'm sure there are people doing TSP who are losing faster than me. Some folk are just plain going to lose slowly due to metabolism issues, medications, etc.

I really don't think it's an issue of which plan makes you lose faster. I think it's more important to choose a plan that you can keep to for life. Read your TSP book, and if the plan looks as though it will suit you, go for it.

I keep my carbs between 20 and 30 a day and eats LOADS of vegies. Usually AT LEAST 3 cups salad and 3 or 4 cups vegies. Do you check the amount of vegies you can eat on www.fitday.com ?
I'm not saying that to encourage you to stay with Atkins, simply to encourage you to stay low carbing, whichever plan you eventually choose.

As I said before, read your Schwarzbein book and change to her plan if it sounds more acceptable to you and your lifestyle.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 10:21

Rosebud,
Thank you very much. It is truly the veggies I miss. I have never been much of a meat eater, being a vegetarian for many years a long time ago - back then my doctor was a wacko who NOTHING of vegetarians and when I got pregnant, he convinced me my baby could be in danger by my limited protein intake etc.. - of course this was the stone age... :-) I just never did get fully back into eating meat, but still love veggies.

I think what gets me confused, is during induction he says to get your 20 g of carb mostly from salad of 3 loosely packed cups a day. BUT....I love hearts of romain lettuce and that states a 2.5 cup serving only has 2 g of carb.(I dont do that minus fiber for induction)...so I could really eat more than 3 cups per day and still stay in the range, BUT am not sure it that is okay to do on induction. I got frustrated and quit it again, which is how I ended up finding TSP....it allows more carbs so I am thinking...MORE VEGGIES.

So, please, if you read this, on induction is it okay to get my 20 g of carbs eating more than 3 cups of salad?

thank you for any help...I let myself get tooo frustrated toooo easily.

I am trying to overcome this.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 15:49
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Smile

Hi Cosmo,

I have just recently finished doing a reinduction and I ate way more than 2 cups salad and 1 cup other vegies.

The trick for me was to plan ahead what I wanted to eat and put it into Fitday to estimate my carbs for the day.

This is an example of what you can have:
2 cups lettuce - remember iceberg lettuce has fewer nutrients than lettuces such as romaine - the ones with darker leaves are generally better.
½ cup peppers
½ cup cucumber
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 cup broccoli
1 cup asparagus
1 cup cauliflower
2 fluid ounces heavy cream

According to Fitday, this gives you a total of 31 carbs, 12 fibre carbs - making a total of only 19 useable carbs.

Iif you are not familiar with Fitday, it's a free site where you can keep track of your carbs, calories, fat etc.
I found it a little complicated to use at first, but this thread, Fitday.com How To's has given me a lot of help.

Before the Schwarzbein folk get upset that we've taken over their spot to discuss Atkins let me stress that Schwarzbein (or even some other plan) might suit you better. It's always a good idea when beginning a low carb way of life to do as much reading as possible.

HTH

Rosebud
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 01:44

Default Everyone..THANK YOU...

It is so great to have the support and wonderful replies from people here. I love these boards...

I come from "boards" that you have more trolls and nasty unyielding people, so this is such a breath of fresh air, to ask a question and really get answers..

NICE ONES. HELPFUL ONES...

thank you all.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 05:13
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

If I might suggest ANOTHER book.... ..... I'm reading Laura Richard's "The Secret to Low Carb Success" which is basically a compilation of all the wisdom from experienced low-carbers from numerous websites just like this. I have found it to be an EXCELLENT source of information and I'm not even 1/2way done with it! My point here is that it's an excellent read for newbies and those trying to decide on a plan. I got my copy on half.com for about $4. You might just wanna go to Barnes & Noble, plop down in a chair and read the 1st chapter on the plan summaries.

Good luck with whatever plan you choose!!! We're here for ya all the way!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 09:45

Thank you for the idea. My sister and I do a "tea" time at least once a week, go to Borders, get tea and scope out magazines and books. This is a great idea for tonights "tea time'.

Wendy
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 17:28
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by cosmosis
[B It is truly the veggies I miss. I have never been much of a meat eater, being a vegetarian for many years a long time ago - back then my doctor was a wacko who NOTHING of vegetarians and when I got pregnant, he convinced me my baby could be in danger by my limited protein intake etc.. - of course this was the stone age... :-) I just never did get fully back into eating meat, but still love veggies.
[/B]

If you are still a vegetarian at heart, then keep reading TSP. There is a section on vegetarianism as well as a vegetarian cookbook. I wish I had read her book before becoming a "bad" vegetarian for almost 2 decades. Fortunately, my doctor scared me into eating meat when my health began to seriously deteriorate.

I have read most of the LC books now. Each has something important to say and I have taken away a little bit from each plan and formed my own. I like TSP's approach to whole foods, which I had been following since before I started LCing so this seems more natural to me. I also like her approach to optimal health (= balancing all our hormones) vs. weight loss. Sometimes we lose sight of the fact that they should be one and the same.

You will need to find your own balance. Like the others say, you will find the plan that best suits your needs. However, if you lean on the side of vegetarianism, many of the other plans are not appropriate because they restrict carbohydrates too much for it to work. Increasing your carbs may result in sacrificing more rapid weight loss (ie. in comparison to Atkins). However, according to TSP, you should only lose up to 2 pounds per week.

Good luck finding what's best for you,
Wanda
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 00:02
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 157/128/137 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 145%

I am doing protein power but i am looking at other plans. I fall off the wagon on protein power for about 5 days a month in a row. I feel so bad physically that i just have to have the stuff that i normally would eat.

I havent read anything about this plan except for the little synopsis that it gives on this board. How many carbs does this plan tend to recommend? I am diabetic and have PCOS so keeping my carbs under control is important. I am feeling very deprived on protein power. I like potatoes, fruit, lima beans and you just dont get those on the other plan.

I have about 100 pounds to lose and i have to find something that i can do for a long time and i dont see me doing protein power in a strict sense to be what i can do for long.

Gina
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 11:17

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default wow.. what a helpful thread!

Like everyone my secondary and very LARGE wish is to lose the pounds.
But for me the reason to have the support to stay doing this is how I feel.
I mentioned in my journal that I feel shakey emotionally today and yesterday from TOM.
I do.. but you have to realize that a crying jag and worry about snapping at people, is a BIG IMPROVEMENT from my calling up the ex fiancee and JUST SCREAMING at the poor man just a couple of months ag!
I can live this way even though I would like not worrying about the agressive side of my nature that comes out these two or three days, if its at a smaller point.
I have energy and I am sleeping well.
I have to remember my big reason for doing this is health.. and that is my primary concern.
Being gorgeous again will come :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wf738.jpg (10.0 KB, 116 views)
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 20:57

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 245.5/227.5/135
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
How many carbs does this plan tend to recommend? I am diabetic and have PCOS so keeping my carbs under control is important. I am feeling very deprived on protein power. I like potatoes, fruit, lima beans and you just dont get those on the other plan.

I find the Schwarzbein Principle (SP) works well for me, being diabetic and also having PCOS. After the first week and a half, sugar levels were normal and the carb cravings ceased. I find I am often having to remind myself to eat carbs! This is just what happened with me, but I'm sure there are similar testimonals out there. SP may "click" for you, but as has already been mentioned here, there are other LC programs that may be a "fit" for you.

Anyway, SP carb levels for a diabetic are 3 meals at 15 g and two 7.5 g snacks.

You can have a 1/2 baked potato as a 15 g carb. 1/2 cup of lima beans is also 15 g. There are 3 pages of fruit listed, so you should be able to have whatever kind of fruit you're wanting, i.e. 1 small apple, 2 medium figs, 1 cup cubed honeydew melon are all 15 g each.

Hope that helps you!