Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-08, 10:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/248/160 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

In the 1st 2 months I lost 30lbs on atkins. But now this past month I've been stalled for 3 weeks and I'm eating between 12-25 carbs a day. I've also been working out. I can't really figure out if I've changed anything in my diet that would stall me. So now I'm wondering if it could have something to do with my thyroid meds. My next blood test is in a couple weeks. I'm going to ask my doc to switch me to Armour and see if that works for me. I'm also going to get an appointment with an endocrinologist.

Has this happened to anyone else? How did they get past the stall in weightloss?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-08, 13:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Why don't you start a new thread and we can tackle it there and it won't get buried in the FAQ thread.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-08, 16:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 186/186/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

I started a low carb plan today (Atkins) and after reading the info on various thyroid sites I am at a loss as to whether I am supposed to eat more carbs or less.

I'm on 100mcg thyroxine a day ( is this high, low or average) and have been steadily putting on weight since I had a radio-active pill for hyperthyroidism about 5 years ago.

there seems to be too much conflicting information about what to eat, not eat. Im sure I read that you should limit foods with iodine in them as it can conflict with thyroxine. If this is so then high protien/low carb is surey not the answer?

Completely lost now as to which diet plan would be best for me afterall.

buttons
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-08, 18:50
Experimenter

BF:

Buttons, why don't you start a new thread with your problem. This is for the FAQ.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 09:43
Experimenter

BF:

Low Thyroid, what to do when your doctor won't do anything

Quote:
I've gotten a number of requests for solutions on how to solve the low thyroid issue if either 1) your doctor refuses to discuss the issue or denies it is present, or 2) there are government mandates against thyroid correction unless certain (outdated) targets are met.

Oh, boy.

While I'm not encouraging anyone to break the laws or regulations of their country (and it's impossible to generalize, with readers of this blog originating from over 30 countries), here are some simple steps to consider that might help you in your quest to correct hypothyroidism:

--Measure your body temperature--First thing in the morning either while lying in bed or go to the bathroom and measure your oral temp. Record it and, if it is consistently lower than 97.0 degrees (Fahrenheit), show it to your doctor. This may help persuade him/her.(You can still be hypothyroid with higher temperatures, but if low temperatures are present, it is simply more persuasive evidence in favor of treatment).

--Supplement with iodine 150 mcg per day to be sure you are not iodine deficient. This is becoming more common in the U.S. as people avoid iodized salt. It is quite common outside the U.S. An easy, inexpensive preparation is kelp tablets.

--Show your doctor a recent crucial study: The HUNT Study that suggests that cardiovascular mortality begins to increase at a TSH of only 1.5 or greater, not the 5.5 mIU usually used by laboratories and doctors.

--Ask people around you whether they are aware of a health practitioner who might be willing to work with you, or at least have an open mind (sadly, an uncommon commodity).

Also, see thyroid advocate and prolific author, Mary Shomon's advice on how to find a doctor willing to work with you. Yes, they are out there, but you may have to ask a lot of friends and acquaintances, or meet and fire a lot of docs. It shouldn't be this way, but it is. It will change through public pressure and education, but not by next week.

Another helpful discussion from Mary Shomon: The TSH Normal Range: Why is there still controversy? You will read that even the endocrinologists (a peculiarly contentious group) seethingly debate what constitutes normal vs. low thyroid function.

Also, you might remind a resistant health practitioner that guidelines are guidelines--they are not laws that restrain anyone. They are simply meant to represent broad population guidelines that do not take your personal health situation into consideration.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Nov-24-09, 12:15

Stats: 245/230/175 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Fluoride connection?

All - I work in clinical research and there are many studies indicating that the fluoride in our water (and other stuff) inhibits our body's ability to produce thyroid. There is a LOT published out there on this topic - just google it and you will see.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 02:32
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 196/162/160 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 94%

Here in France they only test the two usual things, you can't get the other test. But even with the results I got and a clear result I have trouble getting a proper prescription. They will just give you the lowest dose unless you have a scan and all that stuff done.
Well that is very expensive and not paid for so I don't really know what to tell the doctor to get the right dose.
The low dose I'm taking didn't improve anything.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 07:54

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 136/124/116 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

Hi, I am a new member here. My name is Maria

Thanks a lot for this summary. I thought I knew enough but found some useful tips (I didnt know it's not recommended to eat broccoli). I take Euthyrox 50 every day (I dont know my hormone levels) for my hypotheroid and apparently its not "that bad". I started low-carb a while ago and eat plenty of greens and cruciferous vegetables too. My doctor told me only to avoid seaweed or soya. So is it better to avoid eating broccoli completely? Thanks!
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 08:11
Experimenter

BF:

Just make sure you don't eat it raw. Cooking knocks out some of the goitrogens.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-12, 11:13

Plan: My Own Low Carb thing
Stats: 353/303.8/199 Female 5'9"
BF:Yeah I got some...
Progress: 32%

altsupporthyroid.org is no longer working
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-12, 10:16
Registered Member

Stats: 243/234/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I never considered taking thyroid supplements sublingually. They taste kinda nasty, but I can see the value of doing it.

I had a total thyroidectomy, and am entirely med dependent.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 12:45
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

Nancy, can this information be included?

http://www.thyroidmanager.org/chapt...lness-syndrome/
Since my T3 and T4 are on the low end of normal, and my TSH appears normal or trending toward hyperthyroid, I searched and found the above information. It is very similar to hypothyroidism.

I only suffer a few of the symptoms you've listed in your first post. Some of them I can no longer answer to unless I go back to the S.A.D. Since changing to this WOE in 2009, I don't get cold much any more. Items with asterisks are current issues.

1) What are the symptoms?

a] Gaining weight inappropriately or unable to lose weight, even cutting calories. - yes, before low carb but losing VERY SLOWLY. Still trying to find the right combination of macronutrients for feeling 'not hungry'.
b] Low body temperature and I feel cold when I shouldn't be cold. - yes, before low carb
c] *Fatigue and exhaustion.
d] Slow pulse - yes, before low carb
e] Low blood pressure - yes, before low carb
f] High cholesterol - yes, before low carb
g] *Losing hair, dry, coarse, brittle hair.
h] Rough scaly, dry, itchy skin - I suffer from both pustular and plaque psoriasis as well as these weird little dry patches with no significant scaling.
i] Nails are brittle and break easily - yes, before low carb. They still break but only when I'm doing yardwork
j] Husky, gravelly or hoarse voice - yes, before low carb. It was previously described as 'sultry' and 'sexy'. HUH?
k] *Joint or muscle pains, aches, stiffness. - Diagnosed as Psoriatic Arthritis and Fibromyalgia. No relief yet...
l] Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, arm or leg tendonitis or plantar fasciitis.
m] Irregular menstrual cycles (longer, heavier, more frequent) - yes, but had a hysterectomy before discovering the LC WOE
n] Infertility, miscarriages.
o] Depression, restlessness, moodiness, sadness.
p] *Memory problems.
q] Difficulty Concentrating.
r] Lack of libido.
s] Eyes feel gritty, dry, light-sensitive.
t] Lump in throat area. Difficult swallowing or pressure in neck.
u] *Sleep Apnea - my whole life AFAIK.
v] Swelling in the face, around the eyes, face and hands. - yes, before low carb
w] *Eyebrows scanty, outer third maybe almost non-existant.
x] *Sleeping a lot and still not feeling well-rested.

My values, considered normal by the doctor.

TSH Sensitive (0.34-4.82).........1.49
FT4 (0.9-1.7)...............................1.0
T3 Free (2.0-4.4).......................2.1
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 12:48
Experimenter

BF:

I can't edit the original post. They only let you edit it for a short while.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 12:52
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I can't edit the original post. They only let you edit it for a short while.

Well, drat... Still, what do you think of the information? Is it useful to those looking for answers?
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-14, 14:00

Plan: low carb, high fat
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 170cm
BF:14%
Progress:
Default what about hyperthyroidism

it seems hypothyroidism is more common than hyperthyroidism, is that correct?