Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-16, 21:49

Plan: Modified Adkins
Stats: 350/338/200 Male 72
BF:
Progress:
Default Low carb instant pudding

My low sugar instant pudding has a carb count of 8 grams per half cup. I think that the 2 percent milk is the bulk of the carbs. I know that cream has no carbs, but I have heard that cream is a deceptive low carb and may actually contain carbs. If I used cream instead of milk, would I have a low cab desert? Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 02:35

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Using cream would certainly lower the carbs - the 2% fat milk we get over here has about 12 carbs per cup, whereas the cream I buy has only 6 per cup.
However it would depend on the other ingredients as to whether it would be truly low in carbs.
What does the label say?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 03:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You can add water to cream for less carbs (cream has carbs, check a Nutrition database for a cup of the type your bought rather than T on a label) or substitute an almond or coconut milk beverage.

Welcome, notice this is your first post. You may want to add an Introduction so we know more about your goals and challenges.http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37

When you say Modified Atkins (with a T not D) do you mean you are doing your own version you changed to suit? Or are you following the very specific MAD program first designed for epileptic patients that is ketogenic with a bit of flexibility, but must meet quite specific macro ratios?
Look all around the forum for support, buddy groups, and ask questions. All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-23-16 at 10:06.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 07:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollycarb
My low sugar instant pudding has a carb count of 8 grams per half cup. I think that the 2 percent milk is the bulk of the carbs. I know that cream has no carbs, but I have heard that cream is a deceptive low carb and may actually contain carbs. If I used cream instead of milk, would I have a low cab desert? Thanks

Are you sure the 8g carbs are for the finished pudding after adding milk? Most sugar-free pudding mixes I've seen show the nutrient data for one serving of unprepared dry powder .. any milk or cream you add would increase the carb count per serving accordingly.

http://www.jello.com/product/sugar-...colate-fat-free

Notice the serving size is only 11g .. Note also that the main ingredient is cornstarch, which is pure carbohydrate
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 09:39

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

The sugar-free pudding I have says 7g carb/serving (1/4 package, about 1/2 cup) WITHOUT the milk. It doesn't give the carb count for added milk, I suppose because that could vary so much depending on the milk used. I use a mixture of So Delicious Coconut Milk (only 2g carb/cup) & cream. My personal serving is only 1/4 cup.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-16, 23:24

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I have seen a few low carb pudding mixes that are a cornucopia of ingredients and chemicals -- I try to avoid most "non-real" food if I can help it.

I usually don't want dessert but the other day I whipped up some heavy whipping cream, added some soft cream cheese, (I think I had some coconut cream on-hand that I added), and then vanilla, cinnamon, and unsweetened coconut -- just a few drops of liquid stevia. That is my idea of low-carb pudding, and it is so rich, I only ate a couple of tablespoons to be satisfied. And I knew all the ingredients.

On this WOE, it really helps to make your own if you can.

Kat
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-16, 06:18

Plan: Modified Adkins
Stats: 350/338/200 Male 72
BF:
Progress:

Thanks to everyone who responded. I guess there is no free lunch. I tried this a few months ago and wondered why my sugar count was up.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-16, 06:37

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hey JC, making your own is really the best, and much healthier. Here's a wonderful site I've used for years, with pictures of mostly excellent recipes: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

This pudding recipe may be close to what you're looking for... I find that replacing some ricotta with an egg yolk or two adds a more pudding-y texture and taste: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/italia...am_pudding.html

Keep in mind, too many LC desserts and sweets will stall you eventually if not sooner, as artificial sweeteners still raise insulin levels, though less than sugar. It's best to wean yourself away from sweets as soon as you can bear the thought.

Hope this helps!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-16, 05:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/151/143 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Yummy! I'm going to try that one that Jenny recommended tonight
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-16, 06:52

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

once you are farther along and adding back different foods- i love making greek yogurt into dessert type flavors: chocolate (add unsweetened cocoa, splenda/truvia, a touch of sea salt), vanilla (splenda and vanilla extract), etc....the varieties are endless with cinnamon, ginger, sf jams, extracts like peppermint (peppermint and vanilla is like a candy cane), orange and vanilla for a creamsicle, raspberry, etc.......
A 6oz greek yogurt is 6g carbs, but has lots of health benefits as opposed to that pudding mix.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-16, 21:21

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 236/220/185 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Oooo Robin! I LOVE your yogurt suggestions!! I really like Greek yogurt, but find the plain - so plain.

I've been looking for a good "desert" idea. That's great!