Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 11:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/259/220 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%
Question What is the best use of time for burning fat?

I don't know if anyone can answer that or not, but.... I have been working out for about a month now and what I have been doing is 60 minutes on an elyptical trainer, five times a week, and then if I have time I will do some light weights. I just want to make sure that I am doing what is best to loose fat, especially around my mid-section. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 20:19

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Many people say the best time for cardio is in the morning, on an empty stomache. I do mine then, and then do (heavy) lifting later in the day. But the most important thing is to get it done consistently each day. Also, you can't lose fat more in 1 place (spot reduce,) such as your midsection. It is up to our bodies higher powers as to where and when it comes off!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 07:59

BF:
Default Thanks

I appreciate the information. After I posted I looked around a little more and saw a post somewhere else about not being able to spot reduce. I just want to make sure that for losing fat, is there any difference between lifting weights or doing cardio? Which would burn more fat? I would assume it would be Cardio but, but I'm not sure.

Again thanks for the info.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 12:21

Stats: 260/260/210 Male 71
BF:
Progress:

It's true that you cannot spot reduce. You will lose from your entire body all at once.

Cardio is good for weight loss, but, and I hate to burst the bubble of those making a fortune off of it, it's not the best way to lose weight. Depending on your rate of exertion, you may only get your heart rate up enough to burn calories during the time that you are actually performing cardio. If you use high intensity programs for cardio, you will carry the benefits further into your day. However, without resistance training and, here comes the biggie, diet, you will not lose weight like you want to. Your body will adapt to your cardio plan rapidly unless you are creating a caloric deficit and adding muscle.

Everyday I see people in the gym who only perform cardio. I've seen them perform the same routine day in and day out for over a year and they have do not appear to have lost weight or transformed their body in any form. This is because their bodies have adapted to this way of life. Since muscle burns fat more efficiently, you should perform some type of weight training. There a numerous websites with weight loss and maintenance programs. One of my favorites is www.freetrainers.com. It's free to join and they also have forums like here.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 12:27

BF:

Hey Wolverine,

Thank you very much for the information, that is exactly what I was looking for.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:04
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

A good friend and very knowledgeable person on this forum sent me this link. Hope you find it helpful.

http://www.heartzone.com/us_resources.htm
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:20

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

I agree, Wolfie. The more muscle available to burn calories, the faster you'll shrink down, even if the scale isn't moving down as quickly.

Besides, it's great to feel strong!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 09:22

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

I see the merit in your post Wolverine but I would like to add that we should not be to quick to discount the cardio.
I spend a few mornings a least on the the treadmill. I have developed much greater lower body strength as a result. This, of course is because of muscle development and as we know added muscle needs added energy to support them and this will result in greater calorie burn.
I certainly agree that strength training has an extremely important role to play. I think this accounts for a great deal of the success BFL has had. It seems to emphasize both cardio and strength training.