Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 07:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Newbie Tip #5: More Power

If you are reading this, I know one thing about you: In the past, you have given away your power. I’m talking about “Power Over Food.”

Why is this such a struggle? Our body and our mind are actually addicted to the kinds of food that made us fat and sick. Sure, our society jokes about being “hooked on doughnuts” or says things like, “I can’t live without bread!”

But it's true.

Type "wheat endorphins" or "sugar dopamine" into your favorite search engine. Science knows these are the foods which trigger the Feel Good chemicals for our brain. Of course, there are better ways of doing that; healthy relationships, good friends, a satisfying creative experience, or a kickin' concert. We can handle stress with meditation, exercise, or my own favorite; getting rid of the source.

But if we don't have that available to us; the drive-through/convenience store/grocery is right down the road. Some cheap & reliable & legal drugs are on their way!

So we aren't doing ourselves any favors if we keep thinking of these things as "treats" or "goodies" or "rewards," are we? They're not. They are not harmless. They are not food. They are a drug delivery system.

Remember, food is satisfying, nourishing, and stops hunger. Our FoodDrugs don't do that; they make us crave more, eat more, and increase our hunger. They aren't just empty calories; they can actually block our body from absorbing or using nutrients. They actively degrade our health.

As long as we continue to think of such things as "food," as something we "deserve," as something we can eat "all we want of" as soon as we lose this excess weight; we will be doomed to failure. It's that simple.

We can have a slim and healthy body, with lots of energy and great moods. OR we can have our FoodDrugs.

No one, ever, in the entire history of the world, has ever Had It Both Ways. About anything. Yet, over and over again, I see people trying out schemes like "carb up days" or "one night out a week" or "cheat meals" or "cheat days" or "for heaven's sake itsThanksgivingwithmygrandmapie so I might as well falloffthewagonuntilNewYears." We know everyone who tries this, because they appear again with posts like "Gained it all back with friends" or "This time I'm going to do it for reals."

If they come back at all.

I'm not immune; I fell for the "strappedforcashtryingDreamfieldspasta" scheme and ONLY gained back 20 pounds before I got a grip. And I feel lucky!

When we finally say goodbye to carbs, not just "see ya later;" we don't want them anymore. I'm living proof. I'm cheerfully unconflicted, hitting middle age without a sack of pills and no elastic waist slacks, and NO tormenting cravings. That is the switch we turn in our head.

That truly is the only secret.
Sponsored Links