Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 22:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/260/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb New at this and need lots of help! Please

I have tried this WOL before but things in my life seem to get VERY stressful and I give up. Every time I start a diet something in my life seems to make me stop (ie brother in law death, friend hit bu drunk driver, Sept. 11, losing my job because of Sept. 11). I need to lose at least 100 lbs. I have two very young kids and work at night ( I start new job on Monday) so I really don't have a lot of time. I really need support and ideas on how to stick with it this time. Any help would be so wonderful

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-01, 00:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 314/291/175
BF:
Progress: 17%
Thumbs up you'll find lots of help here

I am so glad you found this forum. It has been a big help to me these last couple of weeks. There are some pretty smart people here and lots of kindred spirits. Having little ones can make it hard. But, it sounds like you are at a great place to make a new start. New job, new co workers, and a start to a brand new you. You don't have to go it alone...we are all right here waiting to encourage you along the way. K
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-01, 07:52

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink With a little help from your friends

Dear need2lose, Just wanted to let you know we are here for you. This forum has been a great help for me, for encouragement and also information and recipes. It's good to know you are not alone. I know it's hard to stay focused when stressful things happen in your life. But just plug away at it, and forgive yourself when you mess up...and just keep going.

I think being prepared is key to working this way of life. Especially with a fast paced lifestyle...You need foods you can grab and go. Salads are my mainstay. I know it takes time to make them. But you could make enough for lunch and dinner and keep in the fridge till you need it. Make sure you have enough protein readily available. Cook it ahead and portion it out as you go. I'm bagging up my leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and freezing it in meal sized portions. So I can pop them in the microwave and thaw and stick in my salad or whatever.

When I first started I wrote everything down I stuck in my mouth. That way I could gauge how I was doing and what may be helping or hindering my progress. It also helps to be that honest with yourself...not always easy, but necessary.

Well, I hope that has been helpful...be sure and take advantage of all these wonderful folks on the forum. Lots of people with big hearts and experience in this way of eating!!!! Victoria
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 14:06

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Welcome!

Welcome! I'm relatively new to this forum as well, but let me tell you, in the couple weeks I've been coming here, I've been encouraged SO much!

The stress can definitely be heavy. I would suggest a few things to help you keep the stress reduced:

1. Plan ahead. Make a list from the Atkins induction list in the book before you head for the grocery store. This way you'll be sure to get all the stuff you need and not get "stuck" in an emergency situation.

2. Plan meals ahead - nothing is worse than getting home after a hard day's work and realizing you didn't get anything out to thaw for dinner. But, if you do forget, just microwave that ole hamburger meat and make a type of hamburger, mustard, onion goulash

3. Keep "legal" snacks on hand wherever you go. I carry a big purse, and keep a ziplock bag in it of beef jerky, cheese, and a few vegetable sticks (like celery or green peppers); that way, if I get suddenly hungry, or am stuck in traffic, or at a meeting, I won't be tempted to pull into the nearest drive through or head for the snack machine! If you do end up with nothing, hit the drive through, but ask for no ketchup and throw the bread away on that burger.

4. Journalize - it was mentioned above. It does help to know what we've eaten; for one, we can guage our mood by it, and see if food is affecting mood. Or, if we haven't lost weight in awhile, we can examine it and see where we might be going off track.

5. One thing I do also is look for BE (beta endorphin)-raisers - things that I do that just make me feel better or more relaxed; like reading Psalms, or going outside in sunny weather and just breathing in, or playing with my cats. No, that's not exactly dieting, but it DOES seem to help lower stress and keep focus - and that helps any diet

I'm glad you (and I) found this place.

Sh'ra
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 14:54

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Hi!

Hi!

Agreeing with everyone ahead of me - I have found some interesting conversations, lots of help and advice here.

Someone will answer your questions, listen to you rant and rave about something you did and offer support when you make
a questionable choice.

I just completed Induction and Thanksgiving caused me a great deal or stress - plus, I did not plan for MYSELF!! I took care of everyone else and forgot about me. This is the key - you are first and foremost because only you can take care of you.

It has taken me these past 2 weeks to learn this. I will be repeating Induction again, but this time I know what I am doing and I will prepare food ahead of time, drink my water and not
be so hyper about everything little thing I do right or wrong.
I used to beat myself up alot in my journal about things and this time, I will not.

Good luck ---- start a journal because others will read it and offer support, words and praise when needed.

A Thin Me!