Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 06:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/175/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Question Who Walks???

People have always told me you have to walk! Well I have very loose skin and it needs to be toned up and I know the more you lose the looser it will become so this morning I WALKED! I walked for about 1 hour pretty fast and I sweat It was great Im trying it again in the morning!

Do any of you feel it is key to the weight coming off. Does it come off quicker?
<3 Kristal
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 06:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/139/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I just started walkaing - absolutely daily - two weeks ago. I hadn't lost in two weeks so I decided I better start doing it every day instead of 3-4 times a week! Monday I was down 4-5 lbs. We live in a resort town and it's really so beautiful to walk along the lakeshore. I don't know why I didn't do it more before! When I moved here last year, I vowed to never take the daily view of the water for granted - but after awhile - you kind of forget it's even there!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 06:45

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Walking is a great idea. Keep going! After a while, you'll look forward to that walk so much you'll hate to miss it.

When you feel ready to enhance your fitness routine a little further, adding weight training will help tone your muscles and fill out the loose skin. DO NOT add ankle weights for walking! This puts enormous stress on the joints, and has a counterproductive effect on your gait. However, you might try carrying light weights (2 lbs or less) in your hands, or wearing a weighted belt.

Some of Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds workouts use handweights. These are readily available. You can use them for an indoor workout in bad weather. She demonstrates the correct way to use those handweights.

Best wishes!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 08:10

Stats: 280/215/194 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I have done walking, walking/running, running, cycling, tennis, weight lifting and basketball. Walking may be the best. For me it is good exercise and maybe controls my appetite a little. Right now I am walking/running because I like to run a little for some reason. Weight lifting is also good. But the good 3-4 mile walk is excellent.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 09:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5`4
BF:
Progress:

I think walking really helps out a diet. I think it keeps you motivated to get in shape and stay healthy. Im currently walking 3 mi. a day and I have tried running here and there but I get so out of breath. Hopefully eventually though. Keep up the good work you will start seeing the results!!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 09:26
Registered Member

Stats: 220/178/135 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 49%

I get up at 5:30 every morning and walk for 30 to 40 minutes. I don't walk real fast, but I keep going and try not to stop. If I come to a red light I walk around in circles until it changes. What I have noticed from the walking is that it seems to help tighten the stomach muscles and flatten it a little.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 09:55

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I walk and I attend Curves. I have been neglecting those activities lately but I got back on the bus late this spring. Walking has been the key activity to help me with weight and energy problems. I walk several times a day for 5 to 10 minutes each session. I enjoy walking more when I break it up into smaller sessions instead of trying to do it all in one lump.. I am attempting to just become more active...reducing my time in front of the tv and on the 'puter.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 15:36

Plan: the one that works for me
Stats: 220/214/180 Female tall
BF:
Progress: 15%

I walk to and from work. One hour each way. I'll keep doing it until it gets too cold!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 15:40
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I love walking on the treadmill and reading. I set it on the hill section so I'm doing intervals, usually I only look at the clock when I turn the page. Its so relaxing.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 15:41

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 96/115/105 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 211%

Walking is excellent source of exercise. I can always tell a difference in my inches lost after a few shorts weeks of about 2.5 miles at atleast 2.5 miles per hour. Results are amazing. YOu will not see them right off , and it may take a good 2months to see a difference, but it will definitely come!
I , living in south florida, now do Walk Away The Pounds 3 mile super fat burn, it is about 4.5 miles per hour and is completed in 45 minutes. You do it in your own living room, and I get better results with this than with walking. I am sweating by the .5 mile mark. Its the best DVD I've ever invested in.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 16:29
WONJ #7Snoopy Lover

Stats: 177/135/128 Female 5"4
BF:less than before
Progress: 86%

I do the Walk Away the Pounds video, I am on the 2 mile 30 min. walk and I love it. I do it 5 days a week and have since Jan. I also do 3.6 miles on a exercise bike and 1 mile on a treadmill. My skin was able to keep up with my 51 pounds gone because of my exercise and water intake.

I couldn't be more thrilled!!! I am 37 and was worried!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 19:47

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

So, can you use the Walk Away the Pounds DVD in conjunction with your treadmill? It would seem weird to be walking in place while I'm watching a video when the treadmill is right there in the room with me! But lately I've been thinking it would be fun to have a video to watch that incorporates the treadmill.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 21:01

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I walked and jumped rope today. I tried jumping rope a couple of years ago and I almost killed myself. Today it was much easier.Tomorrow I will jump rope, swim and walk. I try not to time or count the length of time that I do anything. That cause me to feel like I am working out instead of having fun. Also, by breaking up the sessions and varying up the activities increases the pleasure in the activities.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 22:18

Stats: 135/127/123 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Until a year ago, I was able to get to aerobics classes. But a change in schedule has meant that now I get my cardio by walking when and where time permits. I try to get to the gym to use the treadmill whenever possible. Since there is almost always a spare newspaper laying around, I've found that it's really time saving to be able to catch up on the major news and use the treadmill at the same time.

If I cannot make it to the gym, then I just try to substitute walking whenever and wherever possible; i.e., I park my car a little farther, walk stairs when I can, etc...

I think black's idea it really good. By breaking up the walking activity into manageable units of time, it is easier to squeeze your exercise into a busy schedule.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 22:51

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Remember the song....

I'm walkin, yes indeed ..........

My Doctor told me that a 40 minute walk at your own pace, every day, will absolutely start to blow off the pounds. But more importantly, it is an excellent low impact cardio workout and benificial in more ways than shedding pounds.

The idea is not to be so winded you could not carry on a conversation with a walking partner. Also, be sure to wear good shoes that offer impact protection as well as comfort.

I walk my dogs in the morning for at least 45 minutes when the weather is good. If it is raining or too cold, I go walk in the mall before or after work with the retired peoples, etc ....