Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 19:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Nutriton facts

This is for the original recipe (w/ lemon and vanilla, but NO cinammon). Also, I've been using Philly Light; for some bizarre reason it has less carbs than regular.

Mock Danish
Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 1 serving
Calories 167.76
Calories from Fat 117

Total Fat 13g 20%
Saturated Fat 6.87g 34%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.987g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.28g
Sodium 210mg 9%
Potassium 170mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 4g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Protein 11.43g 23%
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 20:22
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I just tried it, it sounded so simple. It was simple, but wasn't sure what texture to expect, as the name implied a danish. It was very watery after 2 minutes on high, so I kept nuking it for 5 minutes on high and was still watery. But the taste was great. Makes an excellent breakfast. Is that what you guys got, or is my microwave too week?
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 20:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default texture

Wa'il, mine wasn't watery at all. I would be able to turn it upside down out of the dish and it would stay together. My microwave is 20 years old...and I believe it's a 700 watt. I'm sure newer ones would be a higher wattage and even cook faster. At the office we have a tiny microwave and I cooked it for 2.5 minutes on high and it was perfect!

Good for breakfast or dessert, don't you think.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 20:33

BF:

It comes out firm and very french toast like on my 10 year old microwave (that's pretty useless for anything over 5 minutes)

Maybe it was the container? I may NOT have mentioned it, but you should cover the dish while you nuke it.

Nat
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 20:43
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I did not cover it, and I might have had too much cheese, I guesstimate what an ounce was

Thanks for the tips!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 20:52

BF:
Progress:
Smile Markers

Darn those manufacturers when they stopped putting the 1/4 cup lines on the wrapper!! Must have been another cost saving reason.

By the way, the recipe says 2 oz....

Give it another try, maybe it will turn out better.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 21:53

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

I made it for my husband tonight without telling him what it was, he looked at it said no thanks, said he wasn't hungry. I told him just to taste it and he ate the whole thing! He really liked it.

So, I've made 3 now and they all looked kind of wet but they seemed to be cooked ok, I didn't cover them. I just cut the cream cheese block into 1/4s. I used a round Ziploc disposable container, about the size of a danish.

Now I don't have any syrup left and I don't have any lemon to try that! I'll have to stock up on cream cheese too!!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 23:00
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Cool

What do you know, I just happen to have some Snøfrisk (goat cream cheese) in the fridge ....

I think I could manage this for a late breakfast.

Doreen
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-01, 07:24

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default A new addiction...

Mock Danishes! I had three last night before I went to bed. I ended up mixing the cinnamon in and topping it with a pat of butter when it was done.

I fix mine in a one cup rubbermaid thingie, no lid for 2 minutes. It comes out like a muffin shape. I cut it in half, slap on the butter.... mmmmmmmm!

I had one before I left for work also. My 2yo son already loves them... "Bite, bite???", he says. Thanks for the great recipe Nat!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-01, 08:53

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

i've made this several times! i just love it! i increased the cheese to 3 oz. i use davinci syrop and brown sugar twin to replace the splenda. i've done sevaral different flavours! very yummy! and fast!
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-01, 09:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Smile just made this ...

The texture was fine .. I used the prescribed measures of cr. cheese and 1 egg ... cut the sweetener back to 1 SugarTwin tablet, crushed (didn't want to use liquid sweetener, after Wa'il's concern about "wateriness" ... and I don't use the powdered sweeteners with maltodextrin) ... had no lemon extract, so added a little finely grated fresh lemon rind. It was great ... then I made the mistake of dribbling a little DaVinci syrup over ... Whoa!!! I think I've just had my dose of sweet to last me until Thanksgiving, and beyond. I think a dusting of cinnamon will be just perfect from now on!

Definitely will try this again (sans excess sweet)

Doreen
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-01, 11:11

BF:
Progress:
Default Idea of the Month

This has got to be the best new low carb eating idea of the month!!!

I think what is so appealing is it's so fast to make and the ingredients are "basic" low carb ingredients we have on hand!!

I've taken this to work twice this week....all made in my container ready to mike. I don't have a long drive, so I don't have to worry about the ingredients being out of the fridge for long.

I agree that the sugars can be cut way back....a little brown sugar twin and cinnamon...and my favourite a teaspoon of no sugar raspberry jam in the centre................YUMMY.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-01, 12:51

BF:
Question

Would lemon extract be better to use than lemon concentrate?
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-01, 13:07

BF:
Default Lemons

I'm not sure Deirdre. To be honest, I havent used the lemon recipe since I tried the cinammon It's my fave. The great thing about this seems to be that you can improvise at will. I can only suggest that you try it and let us know.

Nat
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-01, 21:01

BF:

I just didn't realize how low carb the lemon juice concentrate was! I bought some today and made the original recipe with E.D.Smith jam in the middle, wow, it was really good!
This time I tried to cook 2 at the same time and it ended up taking about 4 minutes.