Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-22-10, 06:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/233/150 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think that when commenting on someone's weight loss, that sarcasm should not play any part of it at all since it gives off mixed messages even if it was meant in a good way. A simple "congratulations" would have sufficed, not the 95 pound comment. If it was me, I would have taken offense. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. That's what I believe.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-22-10, 08:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/145/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I agree with the "jealousy" remarks. I was talking to my own mom a while back (who is one of the most thoughtless and insensitive people on the planet, I'm not even kidding) about making a flax muffin and she said "don't you think you're getting a little carried away?" ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, yes, and I've been carried away into a size 6 jeans now. ROFL! I of course, didn't say that, because even though I am 50, I still can NOT be a smart a$$ to my mom.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, May-22-10, 11:13

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

[QUOTE=*Sheila*]I don't think you have offended anyone here. YOU are not the person I was talking about! LOL I was talking about a relative who just has no tact.

I LOVE compliments! I catch myself oogling myself in the mirror often now, which is a new thing for me, especially since I really deal with alot of BDD issues. So I was offended and wouldn't have been had it been an actual compliment especially from family, but instead it was a back handed slap in the face. Maybe she did not intend it that way, and I over reacted. [/QUOTE

The words your cousin used sound exactly the way a friend of mine speaks. She is overweight and has been her whole adult life. She and I talked about lc when I first did it and she wished she could do it but she would never consider trying to go without bread. She told me so. To her, being willing to live without her favorites would be 'on a craze'. It would take super human motivation and control. But, she wouldn't mean it in a negative way. You say your cousin has no tact. People who have no tact are just not good at seeing things from another's point of view. If she sees the kind of motivation it takes to stay with something for two years, the same way my friend sees being willing to give up a favorite food, then she might call it a craze, too. I know some people mean a fad when they say craze but my friend wouldn't.
As for the 95 pound remark, some people (like my friend) exaggerate as a way of making their remarks come off lightly. Like, she just can't imagine how much you must have lost with all that work. Her name wouldn't be Vicky, would it? lol
I'm not scolding you. My daughter has had issues with family who think she is rude, when really, she just can't read people. She is an odd duck who has the best heart and cries tears in private because she can't figure out how to relate. The difference is, she would never comment on someone's face book about their weight. She is a bit withdrawn because she doesn't trust herself to express what she means to.
If you have BDD issues, are you at all likely to be a bit defensive; especially if you have issues with this cousin sometimes?
  #19   ^
Old Sat, May-22-10, 13:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/129/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Life can be so complicated can't it? Here you are working to better your life by eating a healthy way and when you succeed, another person is threatened. We can't read your cousin's mind. I want to think that she is dealing with issues of her own and just did not know how to respond to your great achievement. I am very happy for you and know that it is hard to always eat the way we should. I know that the nice folks here on this site celebrate for you. Good luck and best wishes.

baba