Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-11, 10:31

Plan: Not Really Following One
Stats: 280/261/155 Female 62 Inches
BF:
Progress:
Default New

Hello everyone,

My name is Andrea and I am very new to the world of low carb diets. I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and I have found I am just stumbling through this low carb diet and I need some direction.

My doctor has said no more than 30 carbs per meal so I assume that is 90 carbs per day and it can be broken out into breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and snack but I don't know for sure.

I have started reading the book Life Without Bread and I understand the concept of thing but what I don't understand is how much of what food group I should I have. I have read that most lean meats and cheese have no carbs so I can have unlimited amounts each mean, what I don't understand is how to fit in fruits, veggies, grains, nuts, etc. and how much of each I am supposed to have. I hear the non-starchy veggies I can pretty much have unlimited to?

Can anyone help me? And another thing that makes this challenging is I don't like most veggies, although I keep trying some things hoping it would get better.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrea
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-11, 13:58

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Try reading the Atkins book. You'll get a lot of good information from it. In fact, I have the book in electronic format on my computer (.epub) and you open it with the program Adobe Digital Editions. I've also got it in pdf format but it's not as easy to navigate. Send me a private message if you're interested.

Don't feel bad - I came back to low-carb and forgot a lot of detail about the diet. When you start out with Atkins, you are eating waaay less than 90 grams per day. It starts out at 20 (if you want to start out in phase 1) and then increases by 5 grams as you climb the "rungs" of the carb ladder during Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL as they say on this forum).

The protein power lifeplan is also a really good book, I've heard.
http://www.amazon.com/Protein-Power...96590154&sr=8-2

Atkins and Protein Power Lifeplan seem to be the best when you're looking for the nitty gritty details when it comes to changing your nutrition. Maybe start out with one of those and then branch out to the other books that are out there. When it comes to health, one can't do too much reading on the subject!

It seems hard now, but this low-carb thing will come naturally in no-time.