Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 14:38
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 135/125/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Questions for those who have done other plans

Hi everyone,
I'm finding the Montignac plan coupled with information from the Mendoza site about glycemic load is working great for me.

I am trying to switch my sweet & starch addicted husband and kids over though & have some questions.

It appears the other plans really focus on carb count - I've come across a low carb- comfort food cook book - full of things that I still wouldn't feel comfortable eating (e.g. low carb banana bread/low carb cinamon buns made with a combo of wheat flour and soy protein powder).

I know if I made these kinds of things for my family, I might succeed in switching them over, but I don't really understand the carb count thing. It was a learning curve to get used to Montignac & although I've skimmed through Atkins and other LC books in the bookstore, I don't really want to confuse myself with more conflicting rules.

I guess I just want some reassurance - can I make these kinds of desserts & still succeed in getting my family unaddicted to sugar? I don't want to pump my kids full of artificial sweetners, but I'm hoping once they lose the cravings, they won't be demanding sweets and starch as often.

Do those of you who have done other plans besides Montignac count carbs & how does this help? (I've never counted; I just make sure I only eat carbs with a GI of 50 or less & never eat them on an empty stomach.

Thank you for any help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 00:29

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hey there

I'd feel uncomfortable eating the kinds of things you are suggesting too... but I think it may be a good idea to try! I wouldn't use artifical sweetners or regular sugar in these - use fructose... plus avoid butter if you can. But I"m sure you know that already.

Have you tried looking at the Montignac cook books? They have some ideas for desserts that do not feel like you are on any kind of diet when you eat them. But this won't help if you are specifically looking for pastry type things.

I agree with you on that it is not a good idea to mix other plans (you mention Atkins) - Montignac seems to differ quite a lot from Atkins, and some like SugarBusters / Sommersizing etc "borrow" heavily from Montignac, but I don't know how closely they follow.

However - this is the advice of a Montiganc only person, like yourself!

Never count carbs! I find I have better things to do in my day

Good luck with the conversion!

Spang
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 02:50
Registered Member

Plan: montignac
Stats: 140/140/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default re

i think sugarbusters would be good. men and kids seem to deal better with carbs in general, and you should be able to make lots of yummy desserts with good carbs.
some suggestions-
yogurt mixed with natural jam
baked apples or pears with cranberry juice, raisins, and cinn.
oatmeal and fructose baked into cookies
homeade all fruit sorbet
there are some great recipes for yummy fat free muffins in somers books
also ricotta plus eggwhites plus berries is very good

good luck!