Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 22:53

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%
Default Glucophage & diet combo a Problem??

Hello all!

I take glucophage to control my PCOS and wondered if anyone knew if there would be a problem with the combo of a low-carb diet and taking my pills ( I take 2 a day?) I don't think there should be, since the Dr. said to try to lose weight, but thought I would put the question out there...

Anyone else taking the glucophage? Have any problems with it? I am still having to have the dosage adjusted to make my "monthly" stop being erratic... Sometimes I HATE being a girl!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 15:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%

I am taking it as well and I have found that I have to be careful to take it with food or I get dizzy and somewhat nauseous. I suppose that your dose may need to be adjusted at some point down the road if you keep your insulin levels down (hence no cheating). Atkins talks about this a little, but its really up to your individual doc. Happy LCing!

Betsy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 274/238/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

Actually taking glucaphage will help you to lose weight! My Dr. told me to take it at night to receive maximum weight loss benefit. I'm finding it helps. My periods aren't regular yet either though. I also have hypothyroidism.

Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 11:20

Did he explain why it helps more at night?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 16:01
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 274/238/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

Yes, it was something like...our liver filters the excess insulin more at night and so taking the glucaphage then would give more of a benefit. It sounded wierd to me but I tried it and it seems to work. Hope this helps. Also the regular glucaphage made me sick so he has me on the XR (extended release) I don't know if it makes a difference.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 17:39

Thanks for the reply, every little bit of advice helps. I will try it.

Thanks,

Betsy
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 06:31

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 184/181/150
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default 2 year veteran here...

Hi,

I've been on Glucophage for 2 years and low carbing as well. (well more on than off but that's another story) and I never found that LC was affecting me while taking my meds. If anything, I found that my meds helped me lose weight. It happened once that I wasn't on the meds for 2 months and I had the hardest time losing weight, even though I was LC'ing very strictly.

I suggest finding the best time for you to take your Met. For me it's DURING my meals, as opposed to before or after. It cuts down on the symptoms of nausea, diarrea and dizziness. You may also be getting dizzy because you need to eat more often (as I was told) because your blood sugar is getting too low. Every 2 hours is recommended but I don't know which diet plan you're on. Some diet plans may not allow you eating every 2 hours.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 07:55
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%

hi,
first let me say, that i wondered the same thing, about LC and medications. i havent had any problems. if i feel "funny", i just test my sugar, and so far everything has been normal. i am still have trouble taking the 2x glucophage. i am only taking one, due to bad diarrhea. i get my insulin retested this week, and i am going to ask the doc to put me on extended release. this makes more sense to me anyways, for more control of insulin all day, instead of just twice a day.
TO GRACIA,
when i read some of your story (via picture), i so connected with you. i tried to PM you, but your mailbox was full. i was just like you in highschool. i could eat anything, and stay petite and skinny. after my first child , it all changed. of course,no one diagnosed me until now, ten years later!! i have suffered with unexplained weight gain, zits, and hairs, for years. at least, now they have a name for it, and i am getting treatment. PM me, or email me! i would love to talk to someone that understands me!!
ttyl,
paige17257
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 20:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 292/210/150
BF:
Progress:
Smile

i was diagnosed with post partum hypothyroidism 2months after i had my daughter and 2yrs after that with pcos.my doc stated me on glucophage right away(1000mg)the weight i couldn't lose started to come off right away.
i lost 40lbs in 3months without a special diet,just maintained my normal routine that had always kept me at 150lb prior to pregnancy.
and that would be the end of my weight loss.i've been exercising and maintained my weight but no loss is frustrating both my doc and me.doc tried increasing glucophage to 1500mg a day but my stomach couldn't handle it.
so now i'm trying the atkins low carb.so far so good.just trying to figure out how to get a balance so that i don't get tired through out the day.got a 5lb loss in the first week
now i'm hoping i'll be able to maintain the low carb.after the 4th day i got an unexpected burst of energy . recent stress has been causing havoc with my energy and appetite.
i've also found that glucophage killed my appetite and with the high protein it's even hard to force my self to eat.i'm hoping this balances out soon.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 03:42
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%

hi mikki,
i was informed at this site, that the extended release glucophage was easier to handle for the stomach. you can take higher doses easier. ask your doc about this. i am going to. i can only take 500 a day right now. everytime i try to go to 1000, i get severe diarrhea. i think a good side effect of taking it, is lost of appetite. i was always hungry before, now, i feel more "normal" with the appetite. i think the combo of protein and meds, help with the hunger. it does balance out. i have been having my "monthly" cravings, and its been harder. but if i mess up, its ok, because tomorrow is another day. i have lost 8 lbs. not alot, but for me, it great!! i hope to keep progressing. i also read on this site, that Actos, and Avantia, are 2 other meds, easier on the tummy. i hope you can work with your doc, and find one to work for you.
i wish 10 years ago when i had my first child , my doc would have figured what was going on with me. has anyone experienced any depression, or OCD with the PCOS? i know hormones and brain chemistry is all related? good luck!! keep plugging away, we are here for you!!!
paige17257
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 157/128/137 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 145%

Glucophage does not stimulate your pancreas to make more insulin as many other oral hyperglycemic drugs do. Glucophage makes your cells more receptive to the insulin and thus the sugar that is floating around in your bloodstream is able to get in the cells. If it cannot get into cells as it should, it gets stored as fat or if you are actually a diabetic, you may eliminate the sugar thru your urine which is very hard on your kidneys. Because of the way that glucophage works, it will not make your blood sugars drop into dangerous levels. I can take it and wait sometimes 6-7 hours before i eat and my blood sugars are still fine.

Since i started the glucophage, i have been having periods and i have quit my birth control pills. Within two months of startign the glucophage i had a period and have one every 30- 35 days each month. I am diabetic too and the glucophage and the diet are doing fantastic things with my blood sugars.

Im 45 and i was a little worried about continuing the birth control pill at my age so this is very good for me.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 21:09

Plan: Atkins or bust
Stats: 287/278/138
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed with insulin resistance on Monday and given the Metformin to take. Starting with 500 twice a day, then moving up to 1000 twice a day.
I've been trying to LC at the same time.. symptoms so far, with both: diarrhea, some slight nausea (like I swallowed a dishwasher tablet) and headaches. Today the headache was like a nail in one side of my head. I could barely function. I also went to the Borders store late tonight and got the Schwartzbein book. It looks interesting. But I was sweating in the store and shakey. Any ideas if this is the diet, pills, or both? Any help for these symptoms?
Thanks ladies
Shekhina
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 04:09

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 184/181/150
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Metformin

Hi.

I started out at the same dosage as you. The diarrhea will subside, however my suggestion is to try to take it at different times to see if it helps you (ie: taking it before, during and after your meals). For me the best was after. I got alot less diarrhea that way and I now have none.

I also get dizzy, but that usually happens when I don't eat on time. Every once in a while my sugar gets too low and then I need that extra little carb to bring it back up.

The headaches are normal in the beginnin because of both the low blood sugar and the new meds in your body.

When I first started on met, I had this sort of metalic taste in my mouth and couldn't stand salt. It was like any little salt in food was like they put a whole pile of it in my food. YUCK!

Drink LOTS of water, and find the right diet for you. Watch what you ate when you were or weren't dizzy and see for yourself what works for you.

Good luck and write back if you have any questions.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 23:09
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 157/128/137 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 145%

I had been on the met..for about a year before i started low carbing. I got sick as a dog for about two weeks on the low carb and then it went away. I checked my blood sugars four times a day when i started low carbing. My blood sugars never dropped below 92.

Now i take 2,000 met a day. I am keeping my carbs between 30-50 and i dont have the nausea any more and I am losing weight.

Gina
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 08:49

Stats: 330/275/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Smile

HI! I'm new to this forum! (excited to have found it too)
I started on Atkins last June and lost 50 pounds in 6 months, then I stopped losing all together. I went to my doctor who then tested me for insulin resistance & pcos, which came back positive for both. So she started me on 500mg 3 times a day with food. (which will increase the end of this month to 1000 3 times a day) I tried to continue with the Atkins but I was sicker than sick. Completely nauseous. So I started to eat carbs and it all went away. I didn't have as much of the diarrhea as my doctor had said I would, but I had the nausea BIG TIME.
I have been trying to figure out a plan that will work, of course anytime I start eating carbs after doing atkins I gain it back VERY quickly, at least while I have been taking these pills, I'm not gaining a pound, but I'm not losing either. So I am hoping to figure out a plan that works. So far I have figured out that not eating enough carbs makes me VERY sick, and I don't want to be sick! I was thinking of doing Low carb but with fruits and potatos. I really liked reading all your messages, which is helping me. I was really glad to have come across this website. Any thing else anyone can suggest would be wonderful. Thanks

Last edited by Krista D : Wed, Aug-04-04 at 09:38. Reason: left out the pcos