Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-01, 15:27

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 220/220/140
BF:
Progress:
Talking Starting again on 01/01/02

I did the PPP in May of 2000, and lost 25 lbs in 2 months. Since then, I have gained those 25 lbs back PLUS another 20! Right now I weigh 220 lbs, and my long term goal is to get down to 140 lbs. My short term goal is get under 200 lbs again, so I can wear my clothes!

Is anyone else doing this? I'd like to hear some success stories, etc. as I'm feeling QUITE desperate about my weight... Hope to hear from ya!

April
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-01, 15:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, aprilmae. Take a look around the forum, read some journals. There are lots of success stories here
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-26-01, 17:01

Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Again? Me too!

Hi April,

May I ask why you are doing the Protein Power Plan over the Atkins? Is the PPP less restrictive?

I did the Atkins in the year 2000 and lost like you did about 25 pounds and of course, gained it all back. I then even went to WW , lost it there and now have gained that all back! So, you see I am really sick of myself by now.

I plan to start Jan 1 or before . I figured it would be best to do the Atkin's induction diet for the first 2 weeks. However, I see others started with the Protein Power plan. Does it works as quickly?

Love to hear any opinons on how anyone started off their first 2 weeks ? PPP or the Atkins? Which is the best, in your opinon??????

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 08:42

BF:
Progress:
Default Starting with PP

Hey Jo Anne,

I prefer Protein Power because I believe moderation is the key to weight loss, and I really think there is something to the low carb way of eating. Atkins is too extreme to my way of thinking, and I can't stick with it for very long before the very thought of another egg or meat makes me gag. Protein Power allows for 7-10 grams of carbs per meal (depending on whether you eat snacks or not), and you can still gain ketosis at this level. This is enough carbs to level out the richness of the protein you are consuming. Also, there are certain veggies that are unlimited, such as lettuce, celery and mushrooms. This level of carbs allows for one to get the fiber, vitamins and minerals out of fruit and veggies that is needed for good health.

If there are anymore questions I can answer, I'd be more than happy to "chat" more. Sorry it took me awhile to respond. I was on vacation, and my computer at home is sooooooooooooo slow that I very rarely go online from home.

All the best in the New Year!

April

PS How much weight do you want to lose? What's your starting and goal weights? When do you plan on starting? I'm at 220 lbs right now, and my short term goal is to get under 200 lbs. My ultimate goal is to weight 140 lbs.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 10:39

Plan: Gluten-free/Low Carb/IF
Stats: 250/220/175 Female 5'8"
BF:?
Progress: 40%
Default Starting again

I'm starting Protein Power again too. I'm pretty sure portion (calorie) restriction is the key. Dieting is such an individual thing...I have a sneaking suspicion that overeating protein makes my insulin spike. Not nearly as much as bingeing on carbs but enough to get me, so Atkins is a dangerous plan for me (I have no problem following it mind you).

I'm getting my protein requirements and carb limits from Protein Power but am counting Weight Watchers points too…sounds involved but I think they will add up…

Anyway I'll be hanging around to try to lend and get some ideas and support, Have a good New Year.

Start235/now218/goal160

Tammy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 11:05

BF:
Progress:
Smile Portion Control

Portion control is Definitely key to success. Moderation in all things is an important factor to remember. There may be some people that can eat all they want and still lose weight, but I'm DEFINITELY NOT one of them... Too bad. LOL!

Something I find that works for me is to space my eating out throughout the day so there's never a point where I'm feeling STARVED, and wanting to grab the first thing I see and stuff my face.

Let me know how your program works! I have done the WW plan before, and never met with much success because I mostly ate carbs for all my points. I'm not crazy about protein at the best of times, so this is a hard way to eat for me. I like egg salad, and on the protein power, I can have a half a whole wheat pita with egg salad in it, and that's very satisfying!

Here's my program:

Breakfast:
1- 15 gram protein serving
1- 7 gram carb serving
1 1/2 c water

Snack
1 - 10 gram protein serving
1 - 7 gram carb serving
1 c water

Lunch
1 - 15 gram protein serving
1 - 7 gram carb serving
1 1/2 c water

Dinner
1 - 20 gram protein serving
1 - 10 gram carb serving
1 1/2 c water

Snack (if I get hungry)
Free foods (lettuce and mushroom salad w/ greek vinaigrette (no carbs), sugar free jello, diet soda)

If you want to know some of the servings I use, I'll post those.

April
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 14:26

Plan: Gluten-free/Low Carb/IF
Stats: 250/220/175 Female 5'8"
BF:?
Progress: 40%

I know what you mean about spacing out the meals. I have a bad habit of eating very little during the day and having a really large meal in the evening.

I'm striving to balance things out and must admit my plan doesn't sound as organized as yours. I calculated that my protein requirement was around 60g but decided to up that to 70g (or so). So it looks like I'm aimin' to eat around the same as you…

I'm off to the Mother-in-law's for New Year's I'll have to be careful of the 'road chippies' and New Years Grog…but I'm trying to get into the swing of things now. I lost it over Christmas and really want to get on track. Perhaps we can compare menu's when I return.

Well as a Maritimer I have to ask…You don't like meat much but how about fish? Some of the white fishes (like sole or haddock are very light tasting).

Anyway, bye for now
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 14:31

BF:
Progress:
Smile Fishy Fishy in the Sea....

I live on the east coast in GA, and I LOVE fish. There's some really great frozen grilled fillets that I buy once in awhile. To be perfectly honest, I forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder!

I went and bought Richard Simmon's Oldies exercise videos this afternoon on my lunch hour. I'm hyped! I can't WAIT to try them out. I've heard so much about them.

I get off work in less than 2 hours... YIPPPPPEEEEEE!!!

April

PS Looking forward to chatting more about menus.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 14:31

Plan: '72 Atkins
Stats: 224/193/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Protein Power or Atkins?

I am really curious about Protein Power. A friend on Atkins brought me to this website in the first place, but the more I hear about PP the more I think that is the right plan for me. I plan to buy the book today. So thanks for all the comments!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 15:16

BF:
Progress:
Default RE: PP vs. Atkins

The biggest difference is that PP allows more carbs and flexibility and variety in one's diet than Atkins. I don't know about you, but I need something with a meal to offset the richness of most meat/poultry/fish. After awhile I am ready to gag just at the thought of protein, if I'm not getting enough variety. The carb portions are VERY limited and small, but it's enough to keep me motivated, and not give up.

Definitely get the book. It's easy reading and has some interesting calculations. Enjoy!

April
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 15:33

Plan: '72 Atkins
Stats: 224/193/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Thanks, April!

#12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 16:36

Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Atkins VS PPP

Hi April,

You mentioned that the PPP gives you some flexability. Can you give me some examples of what carbs you add to your protein?

I know I will get bored of just meat and cheese, so I am trying to be able to look forward toward something after the Atkins Induction.

Thanks in advance,
Jo Ann in TEXAS